Food Change and how to do it??

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has been on NVI grain/gluten free Salmon for over a year and a half, I am thinking of switching him to Fromm. Today I read where [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] actually talked to Fromm. Fromm is introducing a new grain/gluten free Salmon/Tuna. Vegas has about 15 lbs. of NVI left. With all his allergies I figure why not try a new food, what is it going to hurt? So the question??

Since both foods are grain/gluten free and both Salmon do I do a slow food change, or can I just change when he runs out of NVI?? I SWEAR I am taking him to a dermatologist to get an allergy panal done soon, but he is so itchy!! Our vet says his diet is fine and it is all enviromental, but I am wondering if there might me anything different in Fromm than NVI???

So what do you think? I know I posted a similar post a while back, but something in the back of my head is leaning towards a food change. What do I have to loose??

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Yes... absolutely do a slow change. They are the same but different so you need to change slowly.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Thats what I was thinking [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], I know they are different, that is why I want to try a change, I don't know if it will help or not, but I feel I have nothing to loose and both are great foods. Now if only I could get him weaned off sand!! :ROFL: So another question since I have only done one food change from Iams to NVI over a year and a half ago, at what point do I start slowly mixing the foods together? He eats twice a day, one cup morning and one cup night. So would I do half and half for about a week or longer?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would do 1/4 new..3/4 old. For a couple days..then 1/2 and 1/2 for couple days...then 3/4 new 1/4 old couple days..then all in! When I recently tried to change jake..I only got to second day and he had issues!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I would do 1/4 new..3/4 old. For a couple days..then 1/2 and 1/2 for couple days...then 3/4 new 1/4 old couple days..then all in! When I recently tried to change jake..I only got to second day and he had issues!

I agree except Id do each stage for 3-5 days.

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
So [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], do you think I am crazy for doing a food change? I know it is not the majic solution and he will instantly be allergy free, but I feel I have nothing to loose since both foods are very good foods.????

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
I think you ought to try it.... What are you going to loose by trying?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] your regular vet can have an allergy panel done both for food and environmental. Our vet here in PoDunk, USA sends blood to a lab (maybe at the hospital or WSU school of vet. medicine, I didn't ask what lab). The report comes back with what he is allergic to along with the degree, whether it is mild or severe.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@KMARINO your regular vet can have an allergy panel done both for food and environmental. Our vet here in PoDunk, USA sends blood to a lab (maybe at the hospital or WSU school of vet. medicine, I didn't ask what lab). The report comes back with what he is allergic to along with the degree, whether it is mild or severe.

This is what we did with our babies... three pages of information. and, [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] -- go for it, nothing to lose and lots to gain if he improves.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I agree with everyone else, what's it going to hurt in trying the change. I just wonder if he could be allergic to salmon?

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
@KMARINO your regular vet can have an allergy panel done both for food and environmental. Our vet here in PoDunk, USA sends blood to a lab (maybe at the hospital or WSU school of vet. medicine, I didn't ask what lab). The report comes back with what he is allergic to along with the degree, whether it is mild or severe.
:ROFL: PoDunk! Why do i find that word so funny?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)

This is exactly how I do it but I change the amounts every 4 days .... it takes me about 1 1/2 weeks. I'd rather be over cautious about these things!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.