Hypoallergetic dog bones/chews for sensitive bullies?

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
I'm curious as to whether those of you with bullies with sensitive skin give them any kind of dog bones/chews.Tuffy is still a pup and LIVES to chew but I've banned bully sticks and pretty much all longlasting edible chews to give his chin a chance to heal and to ward off any potential skin outbreaks. .But I feel terrible for him because I'v also taken away all his rubber/plastic toys. Any recommendations for what I can give him to satisfy his need to chew (and keep him from destroying my furniture?) It's not like I play fetch with him 24/7 with his rope toys so it would be nice to find something to entertain him. I've given him cow ears in the past but he's just not that into them.

Thanks!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Thats hard because most chew toys are rubber or plastic. As far as bones the only kind I let Samson have are the smoked beef bones. They are super strong bones and the smoked ones have marrow on the inside that Sam can spend hours trying to get out. I have to watch him real close though because he is a very aggressive chewer and I don't want him choking on anything. So far though we've never had any problems. This is the kind I buy.

Attachments

• 8518442600BC.jpg
    8518442600BC.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 149

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Good question. I am looking for something similar for Linus with the hypoallergenic diet and all. I received a recommendation from the people at Pet Club (natural pet food store), who said frozen marrow bones work well for strong jawed dogs. I am not sure if you have a store in your area that sells raw food for dogs but I got six really thick frozen bones for $7.99. I gave Linus one so far and he loved it. The bones are so thick, you don't have to worry about breaking or splintering, plus they are raw. They didn't make much of a less either since the marrow part was fairly small. It might be a good option for Tuffy...who, by the way, is as adorable as his name!

OP
Kimrisa

Kimrisa

Jun 20, 2010
Thanks for the suggestions!
Jill...I see you have a similar post down below!! I've given Tuffy the Nature's Variety bones once before. Are those the kind you are referrng to or you talking about regular soup bones? I will go back to my pet store!!

Tessa...I will also look into the smoked beef bones!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am talking raw food bones. I didn't really know that pet food stores sold those kinds of things but the store I shop at has a few freezers that store different kinds of items for people that feed raw and those looking for hypoallergenic chew bones. The bones are frozen beef marrow bones, taken from the femur. This is sort of what they look like:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope that helps!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I am talking raw food bones. I didn't really know that pet food stores sold those kinds of things but the store I shop at has a few freezers that store different kinds of items for people that feed raw and those looking for hypoallergenic chew bones. The bones are frozen beef marrow bones, taken from the femur. This is sort of what they look like:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I hope that helps!

Looks like the raw version of the smoked ones I buy! I need to look into that! The feed store I go to has freezers for the raw stuff too and I bet they have those!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.