Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: food woes

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: food woes

In most if not every municipality in the U.S. rabies is very much required. As it should be. We have many wild animals that carry rabies and it's very common for dogs to come in contact with them. We have personally had rabid skunks in our yard. No way would I NOT vaccinate my dog for rabies and distemper. It's irresponsible..in my opinion.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

Rabies is mandatory every 3 years here.. Like @JAKEISGREAT there is a lot of wild dogs and other animals in this area, it's very scary if my dogs came in contact. I am not pro-vaccine per say, I even have my human girls in a modified vaccination schedule, minimally and stretched out. But, I cannot risk them my dogs getting rabies. I will stretch it to the max 3 years and will not give the other yearly ones that they recommend, just the puppy series plus one more in one year to guarantee the vaccines took... My vet recommended rabies at 12 weeks, and I told her I would wait till 16 weeks, so I think they will have somewhat of a more developed immune system. They are getting it this saturday, Katara will be 17 weeks and Aldo 16..

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by acarabias View Post
    Rabies is mandatory every 3 years here.. Like @JAKEISGREAT there is a lot of wild dogs and other animals in this area, it's very scary if my dogs came in contact. I am not pro-vaccine per say, I even have my human girls in a modified vaccination schedule, minimally and stretched out. But, I cannot risk them my dogs getting rabies. I will stretch it to the max 3 years and will not give the other yearly ones that they recommend, just the puppy series plus one more in one year to guarantee the vaccines took... My vet recommended rabies at 12 weeks, and I told her I would wait till 16 weeks, so I think they will have somewhat of a more developed immune system. They are getting it this saturday, Katara will be 17 weeks and Aldo 16..
    You know we don't vaccinate for rabies until about 6 months. That's when they get licensed and my vet says gives their immune systems a bit more time. We do limit where they go until then..in fact, rabies is the last vaccine they get in that puppy series.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    You know we don't vaccinate for rabies until about 6 months. That's when they get licensed and my vet says gives their immune systems a bit more time. We do limit where they go until then..in fact, rabies is the last vaccine they get in that puppy series.
    really? I gotta look into that then, talk to my vet about it; for sure I wouldn't want to stress their immune systems if they are not ready. what age is it mandatory to get by in your city? I know we gotta have it every three years, but not sure when they need to have the first dose?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by acarabias View Post
    really? I gotta look into that then, talk to my vet about it; for sure I wouldn't want to stress their immune systems if they are not ready. what age is it mandatory to get by in your city? I know we gotta have it every three years, but not sure when they need to have the first dose?
    At 6 months..their first one is JUST a year vaccine. We are also required to license them at 6 months, which sucked, because Jake wasnt neutered yet so it cost double! But from now on, he will get the bargain price ! Lol...Then after that they get the 3 year one. I assume it's because they are small and my vet is pretty conservative so she prefers a lesser amount of the vaccine for that first shot. We've gotten many full grown street rescues and they get the 3 year right off the bat.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    @gracoliv

Thank you for the links to the interesting readings.
    I was referring to the
    yearly rabbies vaccination which is required by law where I live. (Miami-Dade couNty, Florida)

Other than Parvo, all the other vaccinations that the vet recommends I have always waived. This being my first EB, It will be interesting to read other's reply to this issue....

Thanks again!

I need to correct myself. Check myself before I reck myself...

Registering your Pet with the county is what is required by law here in Miami.
    Im not sure about the actual Rabies vaccination. I will find that out when I make my visit ...

thanks !

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

I need to correct myself. Check myself before I reck myself...

Registering your Pet with the county is what is required by law here in Miami.
    Im not sure about the actual Rabies vaccination. I will find that out when I make my visit ...

thanks !
    In Miami-Dade county all dogs resident to the county needs to be licensed by 4 months of age. Licenses are only issued to dogs who have a current rabbies vaccination unless the dog is health compromised.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Ahaaaa! So rabbies vaccine & the county's required tag go hand in hand......

THANKS @anatess..

PD: I will need to draw a License tag on the collar of my avatar ..... :LOL:

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Ahaaaa! So rabbies vaccine & the county's required tag go hand in hand......

THANKS @anatess ..

PD: I will need to draw a License tag on the collar of my avatar ..... :LOL:

Oooh..we get til 6 months! They do that because most dogs aren't neutered much earlier and the license is sooo much more or unneutered. Didn't help me tho....errrr. jake

Bulldog(s) Names
    Gracie and Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Just for the record I am not anti-vaccine completely. But it does appear that dogs are well protected after the puppy series and any subsequent vaccines should be given with much thought and by many veterianian standards not at all (look for integrative vet). Titer testing is a good way to know if your dog has anti-bodies.
    If your dog appears to have "allergies", then he is suffering and you need to get to the bottom of it (as mine was, and I paid $1000's of dollars to a conventional dog allergest, had my dog on a steriod/antihistime drug for a year and a limited ingrediant diet) Nothing really worked.

If I were you (which I have been), I would make an appt with an "integrative vet" (a vet that practices BOTH conventional medicine and Holistic/Homeopathy) and just see what he/she has to say about the symptons and the rabies vaccine that you are coming due for.

To find out exactly what your states regulation is go here (Florida does have excemption):
    http://www.avma.org/advocacy/state/i...accination.pdf

In Florida/Miami area; there is this guy:
    LARRY BERNSTEIN , VMD CVA,CVH,PCHom
    NATURAL HOLISTIC PET CARE
    751 NORTH EAST 168 ST
    NORTH MIAMI BEACH , FL 33162
    Phone: 305-652-5372
    Fax: 305-653-7244
    www.naturalholistic.com

But you can find interative and holistic dr's by state here:
    http://www.holisticvetlist.com/

There is an effort to have rabies exemption made nationwide: http://www.aimeeslaw.com/2008/11/rab...-big-scam.html

I my self have been personally chased by a rabid skunk...It got my dad so excited he shot the car!! lol... just grazed it was shooting with a shot gun..its a memory we will never forget..
    I do give rabies but wait until they are 6 months.. I give my own shots for the distemper/parvo.

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

WHOA!!! There's Holistic Vets now??? I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

@gracoliv, you are awesome.

My kids go to a holistic pediatrician and I tell you, her methods are super amazing. My firstborn son had 3 rounds of anti-biotics for ear infection by the time he's 7 months old. We moved to the holistic pediatrician and my 2nd son only had 2 anti-biotics rounds in his 8 years of life - once we he had 6 stitches on his eyebrow, next when he contacted pneumonia! Ear infection was a garlic/willow eardrop and some belladona!

So I am super excited to know there are holistic vets too!

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads