Dog food question

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Hi everyone, new member to this website. Got my first bulldog puppy 1 week ago. He is 7 months old and his name is Watson. His breeder had him on royal canine for bulldogs and it seems to have a bad reputation here. After some research I decided to go with Fromm four star grain free beef frittata. I have been trying to make the transition the past week. As this is my first bulldog, i did not even know what tear stains were but I googled it and it he does have these tear stains and he has also been licking his paws but not in the last couple of days. He was a bit overnight weight when I got him at 60lbs but I have been feeding him 1 cup twice a day. We are at half rc and half fromm. My question is that I think he has allergies but I did not pay too much attention to it when I first got him so I don't know if he is allergic to the royal canine food or the fromm food that I am transitioning too? Should I continue with the fromm transition? The other option is to get him allergy tested too.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I would get the allergy testing for sure. In the long run it will save you money and Watson misery! Personally,I would continue the transition to the new food. You can change again if you ind out he has a problem with beef. With the Fromm,you can switch flavors if one isn't working, with little or no transition. Good Luck..food is a tough issue!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site, was he itching on the Royal Canine? If so I would still do the change over and see how he does on the FROMM. If he gets worse in a few days switch him back if he was not itching on the Royal Canine. We used to feed ours Royal Canine a few years back and they did good on it for awhile then they started itching so we changed them to another food. Trying to find the right food is not an easy task. What may work good for my dog may not work good for yours. They are all different. good luck with the food and when you have time we would love to see pics of your baby.

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I agree with above...finish the transition to Fromm & see how he does. I would give the Fromm a chance to see how he does on it. Fromm is an excellent food, and many people here have their bullies on it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with getting the allergy test and continuing with the transition.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I agree with everyone about the transition and allergy testing. And you might need to try a few different foods until you find one that works, just make sure to give each food alone a few days or so to see. We went through four different foods before settling on Fromm, but every bully is different. Welcome to EBN! Watson is adorable...would love to see more pictures!

OP
Watson

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Thanks for all the input. I have been lurking in these forums for about 2 months before getting my first bulldog. Everyone here is very nice and helpful. Watson is just on Fromm Beef Frittata at this point and he seems to be doing better. Stool is formed. No licking the paws for a couple of days. I still see the watery eyes and tear stains so he is gonna get allergy tested soon. Here are some pictures. Not the greatest pics but he is really a great bully.
IMG_20111228_034325.jpgIMG_20111229_190640.jpgIMG_20120101_181226.jpgIMG_20120103_213359.jpgIMG_20120104_183747.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Whaaaat? Not the greatest pictures? They are adorable and GREAT! He is a cutie!

Remember it can take several weeks (sometimes even a month or more!) to see the full effects of a food switch. :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
ANd now that he is on the Fromm, reduce the servings to3/4 cup morning and again at night. Then later he MAY be able to go to 1/2 cup servings but don't hurry into the 1/2 cups. Fromm is a very high quality food so he will be able to process it better than the other food so he won't need as much.

:welcome: and WOW! What a handsome young bully!!! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great looking boy....

OP
Watson

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
ANd now that he is on the Fromm, reduce the servings to3/4 cup morning and again at night. Then later he MAY be able to go to 1/2 cup servings but don't hurry into the 1/2 cups. Fromm is a very high quality food so he will be able to process it better than the other food so he won't need as much.

:welcome: and WOW! What a handsome young bully!!! :)

Thanks for all the compliments, i will pass it along to him

The breeder was free feeding him and when I got him he was a little overweight at 60lbs, there was no definition in his hips, he was like a barrel...haha. I have been giving him 1 cup in the morning and in the evening. He has lost some weight over the past week and half on this amount to where i can see some indentation in front of his hind legs. He also seems to be more active and is moving around alot better at this weight. I give him a teaspoon of cottage cheese with every meal which entices him to eat during meal times as he was used to free feeding and didnt want to eat at meal times initially. He looks pretty good at this weight right now, should I cut down on his food some more like you say or stick with 1 cup twice day. I don't want to stunt his growth or get him too skinny. He already looks at me like he wants to eat more after every meal. We also do peanut butter in his kong as a snack.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
He is still young so 1 cup per feeding would still be ok. Maybe about the 1 year mark cut back to3/4 cup per but if he doesn't continue to slim down a bit I'd cut back sooner. He SHOULD slim down just by switching to a high quality food. That is something you will just have to watch.
As for the acting hungry right after eating..... lol... welcome to bully-tude. Don't give in to him ;)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.