Prescription Royal Canin

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
5 days on Surf and Turf and Reilly's tear stains are completely gone. He is still scratching and licking his feet however...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
5 days on Surf and Turf and Reilly's tear stains are completely gone. He is still scratching and licking his feet however...

Yeah... for one! UGH - on the other. Have you had a blood screen allergy test done? It will give you good information on what to avoid - he could be allergic to the fish or something else in the Surf/Turf.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Have you added salmon oil or fish oil yet? That can really help with itchy skin and boosts immune system too :)

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Have you added salmon oil or fish oil yet? That can really help with itchy skin and boosts immune system too :)

no I should try that! he has been on constant antibiotics and benedryl for a while now. His immune system is probably suffering on top of the food allergy. I will try the salmon oil, which brand do you recommend? Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yeah... for one! UGH - on the other. Have you had a blood screen allergy test done? It will give you good information on what to avoid - he could be allergic to the fish or something else in the Surf/Turf.

This is awesome advice! Jake did well on Surf n turf..then started showing signs of allergies..turns out the turf..is CHICKEN..which doesn't agree with him. Save yourself time, money and Reilly some misery if you get allergy test.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
This is awesome advice! Jake did well on Surf n turf..then started showing signs of allergies..turns out the turf..is CHICKEN..which doesn't agree with him. Save yourself time, money and Reilly some misery if you get allergy test.

Reilly has been allergy tested but the test does not show food allergies through a blood test. He definitely has environmental allergies, but now his dog dermatologist suggests its a food allergy. This stuff is making me insane!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Reilly has been allergy tested but the test does not show food allergies through a blood test. He definitely has environmental allergies, but now his dog dermatologist suggests its a food allergy. This stuff is making me insane!

REALLY?? Because my vet did the test via a blood test that was sent to a allergy test lab (Nellco, i think was the name) and I got a 3 page report listing environmental and food allergies.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I haven't needed to have an allergy test done ... but I too am puzzled because I thought it would show up environmental and food allergies.

It sounds as if you are going down the right path by switching to a grain free food, but as @jakebestest said .. there is some chicken in the Surf n Turf. The Beef Frittata is grain and chicken free. You can try the Beef without having to do any slow transition as it is still in the Fromm 4* range, so it might be worth trying that flavour next. There is no harm in trying it!!

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
REALLY?? Because my vet did the test via a blood test that was sent to a allergy test lab (Nellco, i think was the name) and I got a 3 page report listing environmental and food allergies.

hmmm yeah they told me the food allergies will not be detected from a blood test arg... next time we go back i will ask! but this dog dermatologist is burning a serious hole in my pocket. hoping this food change will help :(

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hm thats strange. im getting sarah tested and my vet told me that i could get the results of whatever i wanted to test for. food or environmental. well then trial and error is going to be for you then. if your having that much trouble you may want a limited ingredient food to try and pinpoint the trouble. not saying dont try fromm beef fritatta but you may end up with like a single protein single starch food. it does sound like you are closer than you were. and yes grain free is probably the way to go. good luck. if ya need help just pm me.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
2 week update... Reilly has had NOT ONE antibiotic or benedryl. he is doing amazing he has no more tear stains and stopped chewing his feet! thank you jesus for Fromm Surf and Turf!!!!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
2 week update... Reilly has had NOT ONE antibiotic or benedryl. he is doing amazing he has no more tear stains and stopped chewing his feet! thank you jesus for Fromm Surf and Turf!!!!!

YES!! Love this kind of news -- wonderful!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.