Prescription Royal Canin

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Last week Reilly's dermatologist urged me to give the Royal Canin Potato and Rabbit Rx Diet a try. Has anyone ever tried this? It has only been 4 days, his face is still bright red after he eats... wonder if it takes a while for his old food to get out of his system first. Anyone have any experience with this dog food? Its soooo expensive but if its what cures his suspected food allergy its worth it. Crossing my fingers!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yoo-who... [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]!! Royal Canin is not a great food... do you know what the allergy is?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am not a food guru..but I can tell you from recent experience about how quickly an allergy CAN show up! I tried to switch Jake fom Fromm to another highly rated food. Within 2 days his pads on his feet got pink and swollen and he was obviously uncomfortable. I stopped and went back to Fromm. Royal Canin is NOT a good food. Unfortunately, you will find MOST vets fall hook..line and sinker for what the food companies sales rep tell them. I would ASAP go back to his original food nd strt researching for a better one. Good Luck! Hope he feels better!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I'm sure cowsmom will chime in soon. I don't have any experience with Royal Canine food but I would switch him back to the other food if it's been 4 days and his face is still bright red after eating. Sounds to me like he's still having an allergic reaction to possibly something in the food, that's only my assumption. Did the vet do an allergy test? If not, how does he know what he might be allergic too? Also, for my own curiosity, what type of food bowl do you have, i.e., plastic, ceramic, or metal? Post a picture of his redness so we can we too if you can.

Last edited:

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
As the others have said, that is not very good food for your dog. I myself bought it for Mocha because of the specific line they have for bulldogs. Well it wasnt good at all, Mocha was pooping 4 times a day and She was so gassy!. I did some research and got something much better for Her. This was when she was about 6 or 7 months. She is 2 years old now. The forum has a Thread that rates the food from best to least prefered. Welcome and you will find so much info here for you and your bully!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok a few question. so there is a suspected allergy to food? also no i dont think much of royal canin. i have used it myself on my bully and it did not help. also for the price of this stuff it should be made out of gold. the ingredients to me do not rate the price. if its been 4 days and still a red face im thinking its not working. so exactly what allergy does your vet think he has? i would really go with an allergy test its the best way to find out what your bully is allergic to. i wish i would have done sarah long time ago as i battle her yeast every day. im taking her in a few weeks to get the test. id go back to the old food and go from there. with my bully i keep it simple one protein/one starch. maybe try something without potato. keep us posted.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Royal Canin is not good. Low protein, high carbs. Most of their line use plant-based protien boosters like corn or potato which makes the protein content even less digestible than protein from animal sources.

If you're battling allergies, you can do an allergy test to start you off in determining what to avoid then you can be more selective in your food choices. A lot of allergies come from sources other than food as well - like the grass in your backyard or some such. If you don't want the allergy testing, then you can do a food elimination diet by starting off with a high-quality limited ingredient formula then working your way from there.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Starting Reilly on Fromm Surf and Turf today. No more Royal Canin, last night his face looked like it had hives and blisters around his eyes. Woke up and it was slightly less pink. Fed Surf and Turf an hour ago and his face is not red at all. When I was feeding the Royal Canin his face broke out really bad immediately. Going to call Petsmart to see if I can return the $70.00 bag of Royal Canin!!!! English Bulldog owner at Pet store told me to try Surf and Turf as it has help her bully with similar issues...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Good job[MENTION=2767]reillysmom[/MENTION]! One thing to put in the back of your mind...lol...there is chicken in surf n turf..some bullies are sensitive to chicken...like my Jake.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We feed HRH Fromm beef Frittata because she also seems to have issues with Chicken and Salmon. But what will work for one won't for another depending on what they do or don't tolerate. I hope you found what works with the surf and turf! Seems like you might have!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my thats wonderful news. sarah has no issues with chicken so as long as your bully shows no problems id stay with it. just be watchful is all. good luck

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Starting Reilly on Fromm Surf and Turf today. No more Royal Canin, last night his face looked like it had hives and blisters around his eyes. Woke up and it was slightly less pink. Fed Surf and Turf an hour ago and his face is not red at all. When I was feeding the Royal Canin his face broke out really bad immediately. Going to call Petsmart to see if I can return the $70.00 bag of Royal Canin!!!! English Bulldog owner at Pet store told me to try Surf and Turf as it has help her bully with similar issues...

Keep us posted on his progress....

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Punkin was being fed Royal Canin bulldog when we first got him. And my word, he was so red, itchy and he had dandruff! I was surprised the previous owners couldn't take the hint that he wasn't doing well on it. So glad we have him now. :heart:

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
Thank you for all your advice/input! So far Surf and Turf has been good... he is still pink in the face but not hiv/blood red like the royal canin. i am going to give it a shot for a couple weeks. i will keep yall updated!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
It can take up to 3 months to see the full benefit of the right food I've read.

The other positive thing we had happen when HRH had been on Fromm a while is that she doesn't "smell like a dog" and her :poo: is a lot less odiferous too.

Most Reactions