TYLAN anyone using it ?

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
My Jack's tears stains persist...
Ive tried cleaning ,drying, cleaning more, benedryl, hydrogen peroxide, voodoo dancing, bottled water, summoning Ol' Mighty Zeus, and then cleaning some more..
His eyes are just contant watery....
I really do not like the way they make his face look. The stains are getting to a rust color now.... :(

I finally called his breeeder to find out what he does for tear stains.
He recommended using either Angel Eyes or TYLAN powder.
I really wanted to avoid using this stuff cause to me its just a temporary solution to the problem. Plus its kinda pricey $$$...
and a Long term use ..? no way....!!

I remember when I had Jack on Fromm's Surf & Turf he didn't have any tear stains but the fish was giving him scabs on his legs and neck so I switched after only 2 weeks on it.

I dont know what to do....
Im at the point where I'm learning to live with them....

Maybe a sacrificial lamb.... Hmmmmmmm...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well since he did not have tear stains on one food but does now im thinking its food related. i would try a single protein/single starch food like nvi limited ingredient. they have a turkey and a lamb version that many are having success with. im not fond of natural balance lid as the protein is very low so its pretty much potatoes there eating but doesnt mean jack wont do well on it. im trying my dogs on a food called pure vita. its all turkey peas n sweet potatos. dogswell has a brand nutrisca that used peas as carbs. when sarah had tear stains this summer i used lotrimin powder on a qtip in between the folds. kept her dry and took care of any yeast at the same time. i have never used angel eyes or tylan so cant comment on that. im sorry your having so much trouble.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
I agree, using products for tear stains will clear up the stains, but not fix the source of the problem. In a previous post I related it to a toothache. You can continuously use oragel or take Advil to hide the pain, or go to the dentist to have the tooth fixed. I would try switching food since he didn't have stains before.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm just going to agree with the above!!! I too don't believe in just hiding the problem and it does seem its food related. You mentioned the Fromm surf n turf but did you try the Fromm beef frittata? The beef is grain free and chicken free!

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@kazzy220 @cowsmom

Im thinking the Fish (salmon) and its Omega3 helped eliminate the tear stains....
Right now he's on NVI limited Lamb.

Thinking if I go to another brand (say FROMM's Beeef Frittata) it would be more of the same...
I guess its worth a shot.....

AAAArrrgh (say in Charlie Brown voice) good grief. the things I do for Jack...
I didnt do this for my own son & daughter when they were little.!

Typical response to my kids not liking whats for dinner:
" You dont like your green pea soup?! Tough,!! you're gonna eat and and you better like it...This house isnt a restaurant you know! " :rofl:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Could it be anything environmental? Also a Qtip soaked in witch hazel and ran inside the wrinkles will help as a drying agent. Just don't get it in his eye..of course! I i use it on all Jakes wrinkles and nose rope...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] did not realize he was on nvi lamb. well wont hurt nothing to try the beef fritatta. just buy a small bag and try it. if he gets better great if not go back to nvi lamb. you can also try nvi lid turkey. sarah is on go natural salmon and oatmeal (and the name is pretty much all thats in it) and seems to be much better. not all better but much better. also you can just give jack salmon oil. i give sarah grizzly salmon oil on her food. she is doing better with it. might be worth trying before a food change.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Not a bad idea with the Salmon oil additive....
If that helps the tearing it would solve my food issue...

What brand is the natural salmon and oatmeal ?

thanks !!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] go natural by petcurean. also honestly i would try the nvi turkey first if jack is not allergic to turkey. seems to me like you have almost got it right just needs a bit of tweaking if all you have is tear staining. but try the salmon oil and see if that does it first.

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]

Yes, I'm gonna buy it tonite on my way home.....
Do you know if it is cheaper buying salmon Oil at GNC.?
I know a small bottle at Petco is like $25! yiiiiiiikes.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] i think the people fish oil is cheaper. you can just give the capsule whole or make a small hole and pour it on the food. you see why i was trying not to give the joint meds and fish oil. the joint meds are even more expensive but hey if she is good and comfy then so be it. :D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] I don't know if you have been using Petflow with the free shipping for your food, but they also have the Grizzly Salmon oil too and it is SO much cheaper than getting it from a store!!

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]
Yes i'm using Petflow....
I just checked the website and although Grizzly Salmon oil appears on their
drop down menu (Search your Brands) It appears they no longer carry it....

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] must have depleted their inventory : :rofl:

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]
Yes i'm using Petflow....
I just checked the website and although Grizzly Salmon oil appears on their
drop down menu (Search your Brands) It appears they no longer carry it....

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] must have depleted their inventory : :rofl:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
actually [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] i have it on good authority that a cow ate all the inventory:ROFL:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online