Avoderm Feeders???

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Ive had Bear on Avoderm for about 4 weeks. His coat looks amazing but the tear stains are still there, vet said to give it a couple of weeks. His chin also gets red. I thought this would prevent allergies. I just bought a new bag so I was wondering if I should continue or give it more time...

I do the tear stain remover also, I guess this is just going to take longer than I anticipated.

What are safe vegetables/snacks to give bullies? It seems mine has a sensitive stomach and i've given him nothing but dog stuff. Well except the times he stole a hot dog and peanut butter and jelly sandwich from my son... :bully:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Hmmm... I don't feed Avaderm, but I do feed Gertie veggies. She likes frozen green beans. Just one or two, as a treat. And she LOVES shredded carrots. I put these on her food. I've read other members give their Bullies broccoli, but I haven't given her any because she is super gassy already. I don't want to make the green cloud any worse. :eek:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
For Molly, it got rid of her tear stains. But it did not rid all of my bullies of them. But i think part of the problem is that they just get dirty too. I am experimenting right now with desitin and peroxide/cornstarch mix. Interesting so far, I will post the results in a week.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I need help with Vegas's chin. It is dirty from water stain. (I hope) Every since we've left him on his own during the day, without putting him in his kennel, we aren't able to dry his chin after each venture to the water bowl. Now his chin is rusty in color.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't feed Avoderm but a recent trip to the vet has us switching our diet. It was my understanding, in order to best limit possible allergy triggers, to try grain free foods. We are currently trying Taste of the Wild, the grain free food I chose because of it's more reasonable protein content (24% as opposed to others that were around 40%). So far, so good but we don't have giant tear stain problems - more itchy, yeasty feet and and ears - but maybe grain free is an option for you?

We also found some good Natural Balance treats the boys seem to like that are also grain free.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
avoderm is "no corn, no wheat, no soy".... It does not particularly say "Grain free", but I am assuming no wheat is virtually the same thing, right? Maybe I am wrong...

It will take several weeks for the stained hair to regain it's color. Otherwise, if you want faster results you will need to use other alteratives.

For the red chin- this could be anything- food left on the face, water, dirt, even chew toys!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I am very new at this whole diet thing but I think grain-free (like Taste of the Wild) means it contains no grains at all - so no corn, soy, wheat, rice, oat or anything. That is what the ingredients would indicate. To feed completely grain free limits your choices in food somewhat because it's more specialized that even brands like Avoderm and the protein content is higher in some but I think it's more hypoallergenic for sensitive dogs, just ruling out all grains as a problem for them.

I am going to do the before and after feeding photos for Linus and let everyone know how this works for us. We're making the jump from Royal Canin to Taste of the Wild....so far, so good. (No explosive poops or puking!)

ohiostatebulldogs

Jul 23, 2010
Wooster Ohio , USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shug Knight of OSB , Santini of OSB, and Mercedes of OSB
ive fed natural balance (sweet potato and fish ) and ive never had tear stains or anything! i have a solid white bully and she does great with it and she was bad with other foods, she would mault her coat when her food was changed...i also feed raw sweet potatos and carrots as snacks!

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Since switching Maximus to Grain-Free dog food, and adding Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes to his daily regiment, he looks 100% better - no tear stains, no redness or "pink" spots on his face or chin or muzzle, and his skin is beautiful and all those "little red bumps" are gone. I feed Maximus
FROMM Grain Free Surf & Turf and CALIFORNIA NATURAL Grain Free Lamb Meal. Neither of these foods has any grains at all. It has Meat and potatoe and vegetables. I was even able to find Grain-Free dog treats - WELLNESS - however, too many cause bad diarrhea. :(

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
Thanks everyone!!! I will try some carrots (since thats what i have at the moment) and keep him on for a little longer. Its just the tear stains and occasional red chin but I guess those are just other battles to be defeated in other ways. I have tear stain remover and I cornstarch his wrinkles. I also read where some people have actually cut the hair there so when new hair grows it isn't stained. I do not feel comfortable doing that though.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I checked my bag of Avoderm Lamb & Rice and it does contain Rice & Oatmeal. Not good for bullies who have an allergy to Oats, although not many do. Otherwise I would say it being wheat free is the key. I just love the way my bullies smell now, they just don't smell like "bulldogs" anymore! :D

We have Jesse on Fromm Grain Free Surf and Turf right now, and I must say I am loving the results of that too! Only problem I have is I cannot get it local, it is 17 miles of stoplights away. :( With 5 bullies and 4 kids, we need a lot of dog food.... but I may just make that trip.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Just switching over to avoderm right now and the boys love it and we have no problems whatsoever with it. I am debating switching oevr to the fromm since it seems to be so highly rated and all. Food is a constant struggle isnt it?!?! Cutty has had 1 tear stain that is colored and the other is white. lol Go and figure. It has been this way for a long time so I dont bother trying to fix it since it isnt bad. As for the chin I dont know either. I dont dry Cuttys face everytime he drinks or anything and he is good to go. Funny how all these bullies are so diff. huh? As for veggies, anything goes for the most part I say. I buy frozen just cuz it keeps forever and the boys love them that way. Lima beans, grean beans, peas (although they are harder to feed cuz they roll around) etc.. I just buy the fresh baby carrots and feed the boys some of those everyday also. They last a long time in the fridge just fine. Other than that they only get broccoli, cauliflower, etc if it is leftover veggies from dinner. I do rinse them a bit since I use garlic and onion powder to season tho.

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
We feed Avoderm and Chester has always had a tear stain. We know give him a half a tums once a day (250mg)..and it seems better, but not gone.

OP
mammyglicks

mammyglicks

Community Veteran
Jun 2, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear
I can't find lamb Avoderm in puppy. Its only in chicken where i can get it. How old does he need to be for adult food?

Where can one buy Fromm?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I can't find lamb Avoderm in puppy. Its only in chicken where i can get it. How old does he need to be for adult food?

Where can one buy Fromm?

They don't have lamb in the puppy formula. How old is he now?

You can view the Fromm website to find the closest retailer to you

Www.frommfamily.com

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online