Spirulina?

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Has anyone tried spirulina supplements with their bully? I have been doing a fair bit of research into immunity boosting (as Guinny is still dealing with Demodex) and it seems to feature quite alot. I have some as I take it, so thought I would do a trial and see how he goes with it. Hes currently on Canidae All Life Stages Grain Free (the pure elements one) and fish oil tabs daily.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
No, I haven't but as a mom of two bullies, both of which had demodex mange, I'd be interested to see if it works. Hope Guiness is feeling better...mange isn't much fun!

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
No I havent used it on my bullies, but used to use it all the time when I raised exotic birds I would mix it in the baby formula and sprinkle it on the parents fresh fruits and veggies would turn everything green but would put the richest colors in the babies feathers, cant see that it would hurt in any way.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Spirulina is used as an ingredient in high end fish food to enhance their colors.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
No I havent used it on my bullies, but used to use it all the time when I raised exotic birds I would mix it in the baby formula and sprinkle it on the parents fresh fruits and veggies would turn everything green but would put the richest colors in the babies feathers, cant see that it would hurt in any way.

Me too! For a short time, I had sort of an impromptu exotic bird rescue going on in my condo. Everyone got this mixed in their daily serving of "wet" food (veggies, beans, pasta).

Since I know how ya'll like pictures.....

blue crown conure.jpg <== Only bird here now. A blue crown conure named Emmie, age 17.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have not used it, but am curious to see if it helps.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
a friend of mine uses this and says its good stuff i havnt used it though,karen

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I too have never heard of this before ... I'd be interested in any feedback or comments people have. Is it a powder ... and what does it suppose to do ... I mean, how is it marketed? Are they saying it's good for the immune system?

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I've had my Weimaraner (almost 8) and Schultz on a product called longevity (it has spirulina) from a company called Springtime Inc. for more than 4 years. Here is a link to their site: http://www.springtimeinc.com/spirulina_science
This company really takes the time to explain the science behind what their products are trying to accomplish... I will say the longevity worked a miracle on my weim's immune response and it usually keeps my bulldog under the threshold of where I can see symptoms on his skin....

vaill

Nov 16, 2011
I rescued a boston terrier with mange, I use spirulina in his food and he gobbles it down. He is clearing up , I used ivomec in piece of weiner then cut up a little bit of weiner on top of the dry good with spirulina over the weiner pieces.. He is such a cutie. was a puppy they were about to put him down when I got him.

OP
lisastrathern

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Update: no green poop so far, and Guinness is now clear of all mange, his coat is looking nice and glossy these days with daily fish oil and spirulina still part of his regime. There are definitely no negative side effects so far, as to if the spirulina is making any difference alone, hard to tell:)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.