Another Food Issue with George Again

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
I copied an pasted this from where I apparently posted it in the wrong spot yesterday: HELP, Please!:begging: When we went to pick up the Blue Wilderness I had decided I wanted to get the salmon one; they didn't have salmon, then I wasn't sure what to do so my husband suggested to try the Natural Balance - Fish and Sweet Potato. At each meal I was replacing 1/4 cup of his Science Diet with this Natural Balance. Yesterday was day 1, and I noticed maybe some extra itching but I wasn't exactly sure but he def. had more flatulence, alot more. However, this morning he was dry heaving after breakfast with watery eyes and a runny nose. I am assuming that George's tummy/immune system cannot handle the salmon or he is allergic to the salmon and he has a pretty resilient tummy, so I am assuming the later. Any thoughts or ideas? At this point I am extremely nervous to give him anymore of the salmon. Should I stick with Natural Balance and just go to something easier to digest like chicken, lamb, or duck or shall I go to a different brand? I actually am not even sure what other flavors Natural Balance has off the top of my head. Also, I have posted pictures but I am guessing that maybe people can't see my album?! Any advice as to why ?​

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I see 2 adorable pics in your album. I am bad at looking at peoples profiles to see the albums tho, maybe that is it? As for the food..... I would think it is too soon for such a reaction but could be wrong. Maybe he coincidentally is having allergies bother him or is just not feeling well?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
hi there.. Duke has had lots of tummy issues with food but I agree that it is very soon for a reaction ( allergies ) from the food. I have learned the very hard way to transition them VERY slowly.. I think you should maybe try the bland diet for a few days to settle his system and then start to slolwy add back in.

I also know ( and again have learned the hard way ) that you have to give food a while for them to get used to.. I was convinced I had to get duke off NVI beef formula because his poops were like bricks etc.. I have added alot more water to his diet and his bowels have been fine.. I feel bad for you and your little guy :( ... If he is really itchy you can try benadryl or zrtec ( we give duke zrtec) ..

I will go look to see if i can see the pics now.. Hang in there.

I am sure you will get some more tips from the experts here.. :yes:

Adria Kerti

Sep 1, 2011
I had a vet that told me to change my dog to Blue Buffalo fish and sweet potato diet. My dog had nothing major, other than a small skin blemish on his neck which he said was food allergies. In retrospect, the dog did not have a food allergy. I switched him slowly to fish and sweet potato and had nothing but problems from the first day. He ate less and less, threw up and was just not well. I went with the Royal Canin Bulldog food, and have had excellent results, and no skin problems at all!! A puppy that I am holding for a breeder at my house, since the owner did not want him anymore was switched from the raw food diet to Royal Canin Bulldog 30 (pupppy formula) in less than a week, and had no problems. I recommend Royal Canin highly, and also shared my experience with the fish diet with my bulldog, he could not tolerate it from day 1. Good luck to you!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I saw LOTS of very very cute pix of Georgie. :heart:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well.food is the hardest problem we ALL have. When you switch..slow is the key..and it did sound like you were doing that okay. Usually takes 7 to 10 days to switch. Science Diet AND Royal Canin are NOT very highly rated foods..so I think you are correct to switch. I know lots of Bullies who do very well on Natural Balance. I'm not familiar enough with it. Is this a grain free one? If you want to stick with Natural Balance..how about trying a limited ingredient one? I wouldn't start with the chicken tho..it seems to cause allergies in lots of bulldogs. I will tag a couple people to try and help you. A couple dys on the bland diet will help settle his tummy while you decide what to do and get some advice! We do have a dog food ratings page here..might read up on a few foods while you wait! Hang in there! [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
We are currently using Natural Balance limited ingredient sweet potato and fish and Ruckus is doing great. We've been through a few different foods until finally finding one that works.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well.food is the hardest problem we ALL have. When you switch..slow is the key..and it did sound like you were doing that okay. Usually takes 7 to 10 days to switch. Science Diet AND Royal Canin are NOT very highly rated foods..so I think you are correct to switch. I know lots of Bullies who do very well on Natural Balance. I'm not familiar enough with it. Is this a grain free one? If you want to stick with Natural Balance..how about trying a limited ingredient one? I wouldn't start with the chicken tho..it seems to cause allergies in lots of bulldogs. I will tag a couple people to try and help you. A couple dys on the bland diet will help settle his tummy while you decide what to do and get some advice! We do have a dog food ratings page here..might read up on a few foods while you wait! Hang in there! @cowsmom . @desertskybulldogs

Excellent advice !!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] gave some excellent advise. Plus loved the pics of your bully, too cute.

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
It is grain free and it is the limited ingredient one. I attributed the itching to the science diet still, because that is in the mix as I usually try of 14 days to switch food because that has worked best in the past; that is why I am so shocked to how is reacting to this. My newest thought is the bland diet for a bit then start him on a new food, slowly transitioning in the new food and slowly decrease on the bland diet. I have decided to stop the Fish and Sweet Potato by Natural Balance because I do not want him uncomfortable. Since I stopped it, the dry heaving has stopped but now he is on a full Science Diet regimen as he was prior to the switch. I know Sciencce Diet is not the best but he is back to his hyper self and no more vomitting or dry heeves.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@Kristin You know..the important thing is YOUR dog does well! If Science Diet works for him..leave him on it. Chances are eventually he will need a different food. But to be honest..that can and does happen with even the top rated foods. Don't stress and I would just accept that he does well on Science Diet and be glad he is healthy!

Last edited:

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Not sure how long you have had your bully on the Royal Canin bulldog food. I used this for my Rocco (puppy medium sized) for a year without issue - but as soon as I switched to the RC bulldog food - I had nothing but problems...not pooping regularly, lots of throw ups, hives and itchy skin. I switched him to the Hills Prescription d/d for sensitive skin about 3 months ago and I have had no issues at all. His flatulance is totally gone, he stopped shedding, he poops twice a day (nice and firm) and is overall very happy. There are quite a few threads on here about Royal Canin food being very bad for our breed. You might want to do your own research. I always said if it isn't broken don't fix it - but just in case any issues do crop up - you can be looking for them. Good luck!

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Not sure how long you have had your bully on the Royal Canin bulldog food. I used this for my Rocco (puppy medium sized) for a year without issue - but as soon as I switched to the RC bulldog food - I had nothing but problems...not pooping regularly, lots of throw ups, hives and itchy skin. I switched him to the Hills Prescription d/d for sensitive skin about 3 months ago and I have had no issues at all. His flatulance is totally gone, he stopped shedding, he poops twice a day (nice and firm) and is overall very happy. There are quite a few threads on here about Royal Canin food being very bad for our breed. You might want to do your own research. I always said if it isn't broken don't fix it - but just in case any issues do crop up - you can be looking for them. Good luck!

We do not feed Royal Canine. His diet since June has been Science Diet until I tried this switch to Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato Limited Ingredient. I wanted him off of the Science Diet because the ingredients are horrible. Chicken cartilidge is listed on the bag. I don't really want to eat any chicken ears or claws so I definitely do not want to give it to my bully. He also have alot of sneezing, itchin, and from time to time throwing up on the Science Diet, which we them do a bland diet til things calm down.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.