another food switch...

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
well Reilly didn't do so good on Bison & Sweet Potato...very red itchy paws and face with bumps immediately after eating. SO i am going to try NVI Rabbit... has anyone tried this and how did it work?
Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
There are a lot of NVI users here... some one will be along soon to give some advice

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i have fed nvi rabbit. sarah didnt do so well on it but she didnt do well on the line in general. just so you know the nvi rabbit comes from china. their canned food and rabbit for their raw meat come from china. doesnt say about rabbit kibble really but im assuming if the rabbit meat for the raw is from china the rabbit for the kibble is to. the other flavors are not from china. not sure if it matter just fyi. some do well on nvi some dont just something you have to try really. let us know how it goes.

Last edited:

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I feed the NVI salmon, poops are log like and no skin issues, some tear stains though, but the witch hazel lightens those up. other than taking about 6 weeks to gradually make the switch from Fromm beef everything is smooth sailing. knock wood. I changed from the beef because of some skin issues in two of my bully's and I wanted to try to get everyone on them the same page. hope this helps, although I have never tried the rabbit.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I feed the NVI salmon, poops are log like and no skin issues, some tear stains though, but the witch hazel lightens those up.
Sherry, how does the witch hazel help on the tear stains? So far on my food switch back to Wellness from Blue Buffalo the only issue I have only had is with watery eyes even since he was 8 weeks old - he's 11 months now. How do you use it on their folds?

Reillysmom, can you let us know how the change works out? We'd love to hear if the switch was successful or not. I did have an allergy test done on Wilson when he was 5/6 months old so I eliminated quite a few guessing games but I'm still playing around with his water eye issues.

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
I went and bought the NVI Rabbit, went and did research beforehand, the Dry Kibble Rabbit is sourced from France and Italy. This was posted on the NVI Facebook Page. THey said the raw and canned is from China, not the dry kibble. Although someone did say that the dry kibble is hard to find because they are having problems sourcing the rabbit... reilly loved it and the redness between his paws went away already, CRAZY. we'll see how it goes...crossing fingers... will post update and let you all know how its going!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know..I think...not positive..they coat the kibble with a rabbit sourced from China. I read a ton about this way back and that's bubbling to the surface..but I'm not 100% positive. Might want to do some research..IF you are concerned. I hope it works well for him. Food is so hard! Good Luck!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have to recommend raw food diet. With raw you have the best chance to really know that you're feeding your beloved bully. It is not as difficult as some people say and English Bulldogs can really benefit from it.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
I feed Maximus NVI LID Lamb meal. No problems. I also feed him NV Raw Frozen Diet - Bison and Venison - he loves this food. I am a big proponent of using this
raw frozen diet on bullies.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Sherry, how does the witch hazel help on the tear stains? So far on my food switch back to Wellness from Blue Buffalo the only issue I have only had is with watery eyes even since he was 8 weeks old - he's 11 months now. How do you use it on their folds?

Reillysmom, can you let us know how the change works out? We'd love to hear if the switch was successful or not. I did have an allergy test done on Wilson when he was 5/6 months old so I eliminated quite a few guessing games but I'm still playing around with his water eye issues.

I have been using a small amount of witch hazel on a makeup remover pad. don't soak the pad with it, just dampen, then I rub gently horizontally, not vertical toward the eye, just back and forth. I can see the difference immediately. I have used many many things and still keep them on my shelf. But this is probably the best thing so far. It's a astringent that you can even use on your own face. Also inexpensive.
I use the Malaket wipes between the toes when necessary and wash the faces with a wet wash clothe every night, then dry. This is our fall and winter routine.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online