George's Food

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hell Everyone,
I hope that everybody is having a fantastic bullday and enjoyed their weekend with their 4-legged friends.
My husband and I are first time EB owners and fairly new to the site. The breeder sent us home with Purina One Puppy, around 4 months we switched because he was constipated. We switched to Nutro. Then George had very loose stools. Then the vet, assured us that the best for George was Science Diet because all of the science and research methods they use. We switched George and he was doing awesome! I asked the vet numerous times if he was certain that was the best for George. Am I was reassured everytime. He is perfect weight, all muscle, and full of energy (which i thought was not typical of a EB).
Well, I am done with Science Diet after reading reviews and ingredients and the past week he has been itching, and shedding away. He also dabbles with spitting up a time or 2 a week. My husband and I were considering Blue Wilderness because we can buy it local. Our biggest question is, while we are doing a switch should we just switch to adult formula now? George will be 8 months next week.
Please help us, help our baby boy! We appreciate all of the help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, it is fine to switch to adult... I switched both my bullies to adult after 6 months.
I am tagging [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] she is the resident food ingredient expert and can help with any questions you have

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes at 8 months you can change him to adult food. Welcome to the site and would like to see pics of your baby.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:welcome: I'm thinking we haven't met yet! So glad you found us...I don't know about Blue Wilderness..but someone here will be able to help. For sure he is ready for adult food. One thing to consider..you can order from Petflow..and get ferr shipping if over I believe $49...and they have everything! Just a thought as you ready for a change!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
:welcome: oh yes we would really like to see pictures of your 8 month old baby. I had switched my bulldogs to adult food at the ripe young age of 6 months. Puppy food is not very good for a bulldog over the age of 8 months because of their joints and bones grow very fast. Many folks here on EBN feed Blue Wilderness. I feed my fur kids Natures Variety Instinct, through trial and error. Every dog is different, what works for one may not work for another.

Winstonstudlyboy

Nov 27, 2011
Ogden, UT
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Yes I think Blue Wilderness is a great food! Throw away that science diet garbage it is full of corn and lot's other preservatives. My Bully is 9 months now. I put him on Blue Buffalo "Blue wilderness" when he turned 8 months old for the same reason-loose stool. I feed him Blue Buffalo chicken and brown rice (large-breed). I know bulldog's aren't really considered a large breed but because of their joint issues it is a very good choise for them. Large breed dog food is full of lots of extra nutrients to help preserve our bully's joints. Since putting him on it he sheds alot less his stool has gotten much better and his build is looking much better then it was 2 months ago. So hopefully that is helpful! And yes please post pics.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Welcome .. and I too would recommend using Petflow to buy your food. Only because it won't limit you to trying food that you can buy locally!! We use Fromm and love it. It's the 4* range which is all-stages so if you are still concerned about using it on your baby, then it covers all ages so no worries!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN, Kristin. I'm glad you joined and I'm also confident that we can get George on the right track to a good diet.
First off, I don't know how much you know about foods but reading some of the articles here will help. Bullies have very sensitive tummies and are prone to food allergies so finding the perfect food can be a challenge. ... and every bullie is different so its really a matter of trial and error. Sometimes, it takes allergy testing but that usually isn't the first step. Some stores will take back a food if you try it and it doesn't work out for whatever reason and offer a credit for a different food. The Food Rating chart here that was made for bullies will head you in the right direction.
When changing foods you want to do it sloooowly, otherwise you end up with a very unhappy tummy. Start with 1/4 new food to 3/4 old food mixed together. Feed that for a few days to a week and then go 1/2&1/2 new and old food for a few more days. Then feed 3/4 new to 1/4 old for a few more before going to solid new food. Back up in the ratio if his tummy gets too upset and feed that ratio for a little longer, hopefully it will settle down.
If after a while his tummy is still upset maybe a different food is in order but give it time. Jumping from food to food to food to food too quickly isn't good either.
I urge you to utilize the food rating chart here. There was a lot of thought, effort and experience in its development.
Good luck and please keep us in the loop as to how he is doing.
And btw..... the Pic Police will be rapping on your door soon if you don't get pix posted... LOL ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hello and welcome to ebn. yes blue wilderness is good food. will your bully do good on it dont know you will have to try it. i would assume being a puppy your bully is active. wilderness is a good amount of protein so as long as you have an active bully i see no reason not to feed it. i would do a slow switch if possible as they do have sensitive tummies. but otherwise go for it.

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
HELP, Please! When we went to pick up the Blue Wilderness I had decided I wanted to get the salmon one; they didn't have salmon, then I wasn't sure what to do so my husband suggested to try the Natural Balance - Fish and Sweet Potato. At each meal I was replacing 1/4 cup of his Science Diet with this Natural Balance. Yesterday was day 1, and I noticed maybe some extra itching but I wasn't exactly sure but he def. had more flatulence, alot more. However, this morning he was dry heaving after breakfast with watery eyes and a runny nose. I am assuming that George's tummy/immune system cannot handle the salmon or he is allergic to the salmon and he has a pretty resilient tummy, so I am assuming the later. Any thoughts or ideas? At this point I am extremely nervous to give him anymore of the salmon. Should I stick with Natural Balance and just go to something easier to digest like chicken, lamb, or duck or shall I go to a different brand? I actually am not even sure what other flavors Natural Balance has off the top of my head. Also, I have posted pictures but I am guessing that maybe people can't see my album?! Any advice as to why ?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]...just saw this! Maybe cowsmom can leave you some tips. Sorry I missed this..maybe you have a thread elsewhere too!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I have already spoke in a pm about this thanks [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.