New Bully Owner- food question

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I think I will stick with Merrick for now and switch over to a different food/protein line, maybe the Campfire Trout or Turducken.

She has not been bitting her feet or paws and her skin/coat look great...I'll keep you updated.

One last thing, I know this has been discussed a million times before but what should I do to remove the stain, I heard Angel eyes and other OTC products, what about home remedies like witch hazel or corn starch and peroxide?, let me know.

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Welcome to the site and we are glad you are here and little Luna is such a doll, too cute. Looking forward in seeing more pics from her.

Also just a note, you may already know this, but it does not hurt to be reminded. Please do not give your bully raw hides, pig ears, or greenies for chew toys, as they can become fatal. Kongs or Nylabones are excellent choices.

What about Bully Sticks or Beef Tendons?, she loves to chew on them plus it keeps her from chewing on my hands and feet!!. Are they safe for puppies?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Kozman.... I'm just going to say :welcome: to EBN. I'm glad you are getting so much help as diet is soooo very important with these crazy pups and it can get really frustrating too. I will add, why the treats? If you want to give her rewards just keep a little bit of her kibble handy and use that. At this point you are trying to get her settled on a diet.... add other rewards in later. Again, :welcome: Have fun...... and by the way... you have a real sweetie there... lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
just a note to @2BullyMama i notice the merrick wilderness has dried potato bout half way down the list and you stated no potato. not sure if it will be a concern or not just pointing it out.

CRAP -- did not notice it, must of read right over --- thanks [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] a.k.a Queen of the dog food ingredients!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=3699]Kozman[/MENTION] I would not give either of them to my bullies, We only let them chew on Nylabones or a hard rubber toy from Kong. Mine love their Nylabones and I also have a big rubber "leg bone" from Nylabone that they love also. They also love deer or elk antlers to chew on also, just get the big ones 7"to 9". Hope this helps.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What about Bully Sticks or Beef Tendons?, she loves to chew on them plus it keeps her from chewing on my hands and feet!!. Are they safe for puppies?

:nope: :nope: :nope:..... rawhide, bully sticks and tendons are not good for bullies --- they usually choke or try to swallow it whole

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I agree with you on the Fromm, Merrick used to be one of the good ones--a few YEARS AGO-- but they have had recalls on both food and Treats. and
because of that--- with the research I've done it is ----ONLY ---Fromm or-- great 4 life--nothing else.
they unlike any other Company are not owned by a big conglomerate of pet food companies.
Post to follow on the only things I will feed my dogs, or use on them to clean or groom

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
A 4-month-old bulldog with tear stains?

If I was a betting woman, I'd put my money on teething over the food as the cause of the tear-stain.

OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
Interesting, she is teething like crazy...

This is really confusing , I'll just wait and see if it get worse

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Interesting, she is teething like crazy...

This is really confusing , I'll just wait and see if it get worse

Yep! That could be the culprit. When a dog is teething, the skeletal frame of the dog is shifting as well which can apply pressure to the tear ducts causing excessive tearing. I wouldn't change dog foods if tear staining is your only problem. I'd wait until he's about done teething and the tear staining is still a problem.

In the meantime, you can't just ignore the stains either. Tear stains are caused by red yeast that thrives on the moisture produced by excessive tears. Ignoring it can lead to bigger problems if the yeast gets infected. So, to address tear staining you have 2 options: 1.) figure out a way to keep the area dry, 2.) figure out a way to eliminate the yeast.

You can continually wipe down his face to keep the area dry or apply some cornstarch and such (careful that it doesn't get in the eye). You can also change his water to bottled or filtered water (I have a Pur filter over my sink faucet) to inhibit yeast growth. Sometimes, these measures are just not enough to combat the problem. You can also temporarily use Angel Eyes. Note that Angel Eyes has controversy around it so you might want to read up on it to make sure you understand the product. I personally used it when my bichon frise was teething which caused his tear stains and it worked perfectly. When he was done teething, I stopped using it as well and he never had tear stains since then.

Hope this helps.

jmill79

Apr 1, 2011
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Chula
:nope: :nope: :nope:..... rawhide, bully sticks and tendons are not good for bullies --- they usually choke or try to swallow it whole

Completely disagree, Bully Sticks worked out great for us before, while, and after Chula was teething. She loves them, and only gets them while shes on the floor in front of us. Id like to see her try to swallow a 10" bully stick whole.... Not too mention they get softer as they chew and are also completely digestible. Rawhide and anything like it, on the other hand are definitely not allowed.

Last edited:
OP
Kozman

Kozman

Nov 13, 2011
NYC
Bulldog(s) Names
Luna
I only get the 12 inch bully sticks, and agree ONLY in front of us under supervision. She never swallowed one and they do get softer/mushy as the get smaller..they reallly keep them busy for awhile. I won't give her raw hide...ever

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I only get the 12 inch bully sticks, and agree ONLY in front of us under supervision. She never swallowed one and they do get softer/mushy as the get smaller..they reallly keep them busy for awhile. I won't give her raw hide...ever
i used to feed rawhide before this site and before i knew better. now mine get nylabones. im also going to try dear antlers that everyone talks about and see how they do. saw bully sticks at my petfood store but have never tried them. think im going to try the deer antlers first. hope all is going well.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
the most important thing in food is the protein--MEAT ---and any brand of food will say beef, chicken fish
what ever, remember if it says muscle meat --- it is quality meats-- if it doesn't--it isn't anything but left overs from the rendering plants!!!!! the stomach contents, feet intestines, brains,heart liver, kidneys. ((they are all protein --and some humans eat them --there for human grade--protein--- but I wouldn't call it quality !!!)))only MUSCLE MEAT IS THE ROASTS,CHOPS , PRIME CUTS- AND ARE MUSCLE MEAT--))))) ONLY TWO COMPANIES IN THE USA AND CANADA ---use this type meat--- the 2 are Fromm--out of Wisconsin---and Great 4 Life --out of California)))
all other companies get their protein from the rendering plants!!!!
this is so eye opening!!!
after many talks with Susan Thixton of the truth about pet foods)and pet food manufacturers, and understanding how the ingredients are listed so deceivingly on the bags of food. and learning how hot and long all the foods are cooked at .
well lets just say---it all starts with the meat---the most important part of the pet FOOD!!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
deer antlers are wonderful the last for months, if you use bully sticks try to stick with Merrick brand-they are the best quality brand for those things although lately they have had recalls too. but some brands such as red barn is a bad quality brand due to chemicals used to process them, pigs ears get soft and slimy and can be swallowed, and chocked on!!! cow hooves are also good to use!!! also try sting ray tails --dogs are crazy for them also, and they ar healthy for them too.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.