Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Bully Owner- food question

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Bully Owner- food question

Quote Originally Posted by Kozman View Post
    Interesting, she is teething like crazy...

This is really confusing , I'll just wait and see if it get worse
    Yep! That could be the culprit. When a dog is teething, the skeletal frame of the dog is shifting as well which can apply pressure to the tear ducts causing excessive tearing. I wouldn't change dog foods if tear staining is your only problem. I'd wait until he's about done teething and the tear staining is still a problem.

In the meantime, you can't just ignore the stains either. Tear stains are caused by red yeast that thrives on the moisture produced by excessive tears. Ignoring it can lead to bigger problems if the yeast gets infected. So, to address tear staining you have 2 options: 1.) figure out a way to keep the area dry, 2.) figure out a way to eliminate the yeast.

You can continually wipe down his face to keep the area dry or apply some cornstarch and such (careful that it doesn't get in the eye). You can also change his water to bottled or filtered water (I have a Pur filter over my sink faucet) to inhibit yeast growth. Sometimes, these measures are just not enough to combat the problem. You can also temporarily use Angel Eyes. Note that Angel Eyes has controversy around it so you might want to read up on it to make sure you understand the product. I personally used it when my bichon frise was teething which caused his tear stains and it worked perfectly. When he was done teething, I stopped using it as well and he never had tear stains since then.

Hope this helps.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    ..... rawhide, bully sticks and tendons are not good for bullies --- they usually choke or try to swallow it whole
    Completely disagree, Bully Sticks worked out great for us before, while, and after Chula was teething. She loves them, and only gets them while shes on the floor in front of us. Id like to see her try to swallow a 10" bully stick whole.... Not too mention they get softer as they chew and are also completely digestible. Rawhide and anything like it, on the other hand are definitely not allowed.
    Last edited by jmill79; 11-24-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Luna
    Likes (Received)

I only get the 12 inch bully sticks, and agree ONLY in front of us under supervision. She never swallowed one and they do get softer/mushy as the get smaller..they reallly keep them busy for awhile. I won't give her raw hide...ever

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kozman View Post
    I only get the 12 inch bully sticks, and agree ONLY in front of us under supervision. She never swallowed one and they do get softer/mushy as the get smaller..they reallly keep them busy for awhile. I won't give her raw hide...ever
    i used to feed rawhide before this site and before i knew better. now mine get nylabones. im also going to try dear antlers that everyone talks about and see how they do. saw bully sticks at my petfood store but have never tried them. think im going to try the deer antlers first. hope all is going well.

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

the most important thing in food is the protein--MEAT ---and any brand of food will say beef, chicken fish
    what ever, remember if it says muscle meat --- it is quality meats-- if it doesn't--it isn't anything but left overs from the rendering plants!!!!! the stomach contents, feet intestines, brains,heart liver, kidneys. ((they are all protein --and some humans eat them --there for human grade--protein--- but I wouldn't call it quality !!!)))only MUSCLE MEAT IS THE ROASTS,CHOPS , PRIME CUTS- AND ARE MUSCLE MEAT--))))) ONLY TWO COMPANIES IN THE USA AND CANADA ---use this type meat--- the 2 are Fromm--out of Wisconsin---and Great 4 Life --out of California)))
    all other companies get their protein from the rendering plants!!!!
    this is so eye opening!!!
    after many talks with Susan Thixton of the truth about pet foods)and pet food manufacturers, and understanding how the ingredients are listed so deceivingly on the bags of food. and learning how hot and long all the foods are cooked at .
    well lets just say---it all starts with the meat---the most important part of the pet FOOD!!
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

deer antlers are wonderful the last for months, if you use bully sticks try to stick with Merrick brand-they are the best quality brand for those things although lately they have had recalls too. but some brands such as red barn is a bad quality brand due to chemicals used to process them, pigs ears get soft and slimy and can be swallowed, and chocked on!!! cow hooves are also good to use!!! also try sting ray tails --dogs are crazy for them also, and they ar healthy for them too.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindathedogsmaid View Post
    the most important thing in food is the protein--MEAT ---and any brand of food will say beef, chicken fish
    what ever, remember if it says muscle meat --- it is quality meats-- if it doesn't--it isn't anything but left overs from the rendering plants!!!!! the stomach contents, feet intestines, brains,heart liver, kidneys. ((they are all protein --and some humans eat them --there for human grade--protein--- but I wouldn't call it quality !!!)))only MUSCLE MEAT IS THE ROASTS,CHOPS , PRIME CUTS- AND ARE MUSCLE MEAT--))))) ONLY TWO COMPANIES IN THE USA AND CANADA ---use this type meat--- the 2 are Fromm--out of Wisconsin---and Great 4 Life --out of California)))
    all other companies get their protein from the rendering plants!!!!
    this is so eye opening!!!
    after many talks with Susan Thixton of the truth about pet foods)and pet food manufacturers, and understanding how the ingredients are listed so deceivingly on the bags of food. and learning how hot and long all the foods are cooked at .
    well lets just say---it all starts with the meat---the most important part of the pet FOOD!!
    I am 100% certain that there are more than just those 2 companies in USA/Canada that use quality meats. There's a few of them on the EBN list of highest-star rated Bulldog food.

But you're right. The meat source is the most important part of a dog's food.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chula
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    I am 100% certain that there are more than just those 2 companies in USA/Canada that use quality meats. There's a few of them on the EBN list of highest-star rated Bulldog food.

But you're right. The meat source is the most important part of a dog's food.
    Completely agree. I feel sorry for people looking for genuine advise and instead they get (obviously) paid advertisements, ridiculous (and seizure inducing). Learn to read labels, and learn what the labels mean. There is a great list here of foods as well as Dog Food Adviser that can break down the ingredients.
    Last edited by jmill79; 11-28-2011 at 09:53 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads