Hypoallergenic Goodies

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Tessa asked some great questions in another thread about the ins and outs of switching foods but it is my understanding there is no use in switching to a hypoallergenic food without also switching to all hypoallergenic treats as well. I browsed at the store today and hypoallergenic treats are EXPENSIVE! I have heard green bean and carrots make good alternatives but does anyone have any other suggestions, particularly for a bullie who is new to the hypoallergenic thing and not inclined to eat veggies AT ALL?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I feed Avoderm treats, they are large so I break them up, and anything I can find that says grain-free on it, and if they are large I just break them so my bullies dont get fat :p

Fromm makes grain free treats too. I got like 10 different bags of treats here- I love giving them treats and green beans, so they are spoiled. Probably why Mandy has not lost much weight... LOL

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hmmm.... Not much help in the way of alternatives to veggies. Really not even carrots? It did take Cutty a while to figure out they were something to eat so maybe try eating them with your pups so they know they are supposed to eat them. Also Mugsy wasnt too big on veggies at first BUT since Cutty was he had to learn to be cuz he didnt want Cutty eating his. lol. If you can get one it may be easier to get another to like.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I always buy the Natural Balance treats that go with his food, sweet potato & salmon. I also get these other ones from Petsmart that my dogs go CRAZY for, Pet Botanics Omega treats. I buy the salmon ones (link below). I also do the frozen carrot thing and broccoli pieces. Sam is easy, he'll eat anything. He LOVES broccoli actually. I don't know how he smells something like that but the second it comes out of the fridge he SPRINTS into the kitchen from wherever he is inside the house or the backyard. He'll whine and cry the whole time I am cutting it up if he isn't getting as many pieces as he wants LOL. That boy is so dang spoiled!

http://www.entirelypets.com/omegatr...lmon|utmcmd=organic&__utmv=-&__utmk=250549767

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Gertie is just a baby, so maybe it's different with adult dogs. When I gave her a frozen green bean, she loved it. When I gave her a baby carrot, she just rolled it around the floor and didn't eat it. So I shredded some and put it on her food and she LOVED it! I don't think she realized the whole one was "food". So for anyone who's dog isn't all over the whole carrots, try the shredded. I haven't tried the broccoli yet.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Thanks. With Truman, he is so flexible so he eats just about anything but I gave Linus is a beast. He doesn't like carrots or beans and my first try at giving him a hypoallergenic treat resulted in it getting spit out and Truman scooting away with it. I will try some of the ones suggested, I am sure I will come across something he likes.

The change to the hypoallergenic diet was a long time coming. The vet appointment today plus all the great advice on here put me over the edge. At the vet today, Linus had to get a steroid injection today because he was so inflamed and itchy with yet another ear infection. The vet also said that could explain big behavior change in Linus toward Truman - he was just miserable. I felt horrible but things change starting today!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Gertie is just a baby, so maybe it's different with adult dogs. When I gave her a frozen green bean, she loved it. When I gave her a baby carrot, she just rolled it around the floor and didn't eat it. So I shredded some and put it on her food and she LOVED it! I don't think she realized the whole one was "food". So for anyone who's dog isn't all over the whole carrots, try the shredded. I haven't tried the broccoli yet.

Wow, you are brave to try a highly gassy treat like Broccoli!!
Both Bella and Abby love carrots. But I had read and seen that blue berries were also good. We would have Bella "bowl for berries" when she was real little. We would roll them down the hall (hard wood floors) and she would chase them and eat them. She loved it, treats and exercise at the same time.

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I'm going to bump this one more time. I tried feeding baby carrots to Linus and Truman. Linus wouldn't touch it and Truman looked like he was eating it but it ended up ground up all over the floor - I'm not sure how much made it into the actual dog. Should I break them up into smaller pieces? I don't think Linus will eat them unless they had dip on them or something! I have green beans in the kitchen so those are up next! I hope they more well received!

I am currently feeding them both Natural Balance Duck and Sweet Potato treats, which they seem to like and aren't terribly expensive. I can already see a wonderful difference in Linus's eyes and coat!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Which food did you go with again? totw?

Are you freezing the carrots and green beans? I freeze them and that is the treat they get when coming inside. At first a couple of my bullies did not do much with them, but I kept giving until they realized this was the treat :)

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, we're doing Taste of the Wild. Linus seems to really like it and gets excited for mealtime.

I will trying the freezing thing. Perhaps that will change his thinking on healthy goodies! Thanks!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
A while back Froggz mentioned that she sliced up sweet potatoes and put them in a dehydrator for yummy healthy treats. You could probably do all kinds of fruits and veggies this way too. I think its a fabulous idea, but I still need to buy a dehydrator.....

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
What about putting some peanut butter on the carrots to show him to eat it? Did you try eating them in front of him so they can see what to do? Maybe take a bite of one and hand the rest to him so he can see the idea of it?

Champ Waring

Mar 30, 2010
Dartford Holistic make grain free treats and dey'z yummy. Mom gets dem at Petsupermarket.
I get fruits n veggies as treats too.
My fav "treat" which is actually part of my meal, but mom saves it til da end and uses it as a treat to get me to do fings I no wanna do (like 'spin'...i hate spinning in circles)..is chicken hearts. YUMMY. Dey'z too big to be used as just a treat tho. But if she saves dem for after dinner, I fink it's a treat and she gets me to work on my dance moves real good.
Mom also makes home-made liver treats...dehydrates dem or cooks em til dey'z crispy.
Merrick makes lamb lung treats which are yummy and grain free. Just 1 ingredient- lamb lung.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
From Judi on facebook:

‎2 cups all purpose flour..1 cup grated cheese..1/2 cup vegetable oil..roll in walnut size balls..bake 350 degrees for 10 minutes..put in zip lock bags and refrigerate..you can add 3 Tps peanut butter (smooth or chunky) to half the batter.....for variety..Digger loves them and not knows where they are so he will sit and look at the fridge til I bring them out..fresh..not stored in a warehouse and does not contain who knows what additives..20 minutes total time..lasts all week or longer if beef pep o roni sticks offered along the way..he's 14 mo old and never tired of them..

OP
sheshistory

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
More great suggestions - thanks everyone! I tried the frozen green beans today. I really have to take a video of Linus' reaction to them - utter disdain! Truman trotted off happily with his, which I thought would raise Linus' interest but he just sat there like a bulldog does. I will try a baby carrot with a little peanut butter next but it sounds like there are some good options available and, always homemade treats.

I am with you desertsky - I need a dehydrator I guess!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.