Constipation from California Natural

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
NVI has clay but California Natural doesn't. But, just to share info on clay...

Smectite clay like Montmorillonite or Bentonite clays have been used in organic nutrition for ages for the natural healing minerals it contains. This was even made popular by the Egyptian Queen Cleopatra.

Organic dog kibbles use this clay mainly to prevent the food from caking. The "healing properties of the minerals" is just a secondary purpose... it is advantageous for organic purposes because it does lessen/eliminate the need for synthetic versions of these minerals. Smectite clays are very good for its antimicrobial properties that can heal indigestion, acid reflux, bacterial infections, and just general germ-fighting and detoxification. There was controversy in the use of smectite clays due to questions about the presence of natural dioxins (contaminates natural clay formations, like when there's a forest fire) but the high-quality dog kibbles use clay from reliable sources who test for dioxins before mining the clay.

But yes, smectite does act as a stool hardener which - in a lot of dogs - can be a good thing (loose stools is always a by-product of dog food switch). The clay is very absorbent so that a lot of the moisture is absorbed by the clay that could cause hard stools. This can be good because this absorption property also absorbs negative radiation and toxins. But, this does mean that if your dog gets hard stools, then he would need extra moisture.

In any case, if your dog is getting hard stools, it is always a good idea to increase his moisture intake - either from mixing canned version of the same formula, encouraging the dog to drink more water, giving ice-cubes for treats, etc.

But, hard, grey stools need a visit to the vet as this is a more serious symptom than just regular constipation. It could be that this is not due to his kibble... it could be that he acquired some disease, swallowed a toy, or some such...

Last edited:
OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
well the vet thinks he is constipated and told me to try a grain free diet... I went with natural balance sweet potato & bison... i have tried everything else and always wanted to give this one a try. Reilly gobbles it up (i am slowly transitioning with old food) but so far so good. his stool doesn't have anymore white/gray specks and he is doesn't look like he is in pain trying to push. The vet also told me to give this new food a try for AT LEAST 4 weeks... lets pray this helps! been giving him 2 Zyrtec a day and has decreased his paw licking/chewing.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Glad to hear that things seem to be getting better!! Let's hope the Natural Balance works for you!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.