Constipation from California Natural

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
I have been feeding Reilly California Natural Lamb and Rice for about 2 months now. It has lessened his redness but not completely. What I have noticed is that his stool is really hard and when I look out the window you can see him pushing and pushing for dear life to get something out, and the tiniest little turd comes out lol. but seriously, and then he went :poo: in the house, and i noticed it was almost white/gray in color, very strange. Has anyone else had this happen from dog food?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Found this on the eweb ---

Grey feces
Cement-colored stool may mean that a dog is suffering from an obstruction of the bile duct. The obstruction could have one of several causes -- but, in any case, necessitates a visit to the vet.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
There were some :poo: issues..but I think it was NVI...I don't know about this food..maybe add some canned food ..just to get moisture in?? I'll tag [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]...she knows a lot about food!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Bubba has been on CN lamb and rice since , well soon after, I first got him. His stools have always been great..no problems. I don't know much about stool color but if its white/gray color, I think a trip to the vets wouldn't be a bad idea! Good luck!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Found this on the eweb ---

Grey feces
Cement-colored stool may mean that a dog is suffering from an obstruction of the bile duct. The obstruction could have one of several causes -- but, in any case, necessitates a visit to the vet.
Wow I never knew that. @JAKEISGREAT , I remember reading on one food label a while back when I was checking foods out that one of the brands had clay in it. I shook my head on that ingredient and said to myself, there's no way am I giving my dog anything that has clay in it. I wish I could remember what brand it was.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
hard grey poop can be serious, this is not good. Gray stool can have many meanings:
- Eating something abnormal
- Parasites
- Malabsorption or pancreas [FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]enzyme[/FONT][/FONT] changes

Especially because the stool is abnormal and she is doing this inside the house I would minimally have a fecal sample evaluated.

If the stool continues to be abnormal, other tests such as
a fecal alpha one protease inhibitor, folate and cobalamine can be considered.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I have done some research online..because I was curious about this. Def a visit to the vet is in order. This could be a sign of something going on with the liver. Bile is made by the liver..bile mixes with the stool and creates the brown color. If the liver is not producing bile, hence the white color. This not necessarly means horrible news, but agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] , it could just mean a bile duct is blocke. Let us know how things go! Good luck!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
No experience here with grey stool but regarding constipation we keep everything moving through by giving the boys apple slices (no core), bananna, and various raw veggies. I can't make a salad without their help!

OP
R

reillysmom

Jul 12, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Bulldog(s) Names
Reilly
thanks for the great info. he has a dermatologist appointment this week so i will def bring a stool sample. he has been on antibiotics for a skin infection this past month could be that.. he has his liver tested about 2-3 months ago with blood work because of the meds he was on and everything was fine... i'm thinking its the food but i will definitely get it looked at by the vet. thanks for your insights!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks for the great info. he has a dermatologist appointment this week so i will def bring a stool sample. he has been on antibiotics for a skin infection this past month could be that.. he has his liver tested about 2-3 months ago with blood work because of the meds he was on and everything was fine... i'm thinking its the food but i will definitely get it looked at by the vet. thanks for your insights!

add a couple tablespoons of real pumpkin (not the pie mix) to his food, it will help ease the movement for him

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Wow I never knew that. @JAKEISGREAT , I remember reading on one food label a while back when I was checking foods out that one of the brands had clay in it. I shook my head on that ingredient and said to myself, there's no way am I giving my dog anything that has clay in it. I wish I could remember what brand it was.

Natures Variety Instinct has clay in it. I found this out after researching every ingredient to see if anything could be causing Ruckus's constipation.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@JeannieCO nvi has clay and so does natures logic. the clay is supposed to have lots of minerals in it that cleanse the body or something but not sure if it really does or not. now for california natural there is nothing in there that would give such hard poops that i know of and have not read of this being a problem with this food. I also have no idea about white/gray poops. California natural is pretty limited ingredient food which is why alot of people use it. they have been taken over by proctor and gamble but supposedly they have not changed the ingredients. you can change food and see if he gets better or just take him to the vets to make sure nothing is going on inside. are you giving him treats or people food? he needs more moisture to help him go. canned food may help or some pumpkin as has already been said. also someone has said to give ice cubes as treats to get more moisture. i hope he gets better. let us know how he is doing.

Last edited:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
[MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION], I thought that was you when you were having problems with Ruckus. I recalled seeing a thread and you popped into my head. I almost tagged you but I wasn't 100% sure. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], thanks for that info. I know my older dogs loves to eat dirt and we have a clay soil here. I always suspected and told my hubby that I felt it was because it had some sort of mineral he needed. [MENTION=2767]reillysmom[/MENTION] I hope Reilly is going to be okie dokie. Will be looking for an update.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Late and havent read all the other posts yet so hopefully I am not repeating. haha We used california natural for a bit a long time ago. Wanted firm :poo: and that food promotes it. Guess now I know why or how they promote it. clay? haha Worked fine for us but wasnt the perfect food so we moved on.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.