Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Antlers for treats question!

  1. #1
    Potty Trainer KuttersMommy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kayla Brandon-Lambright
    Location
    Highlands, Texas
    Posts
    54
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Antlers for treats question!

    Okay guys.. I tried searching for the answer to this on the forum with no luck so if this is a repeat post, I'm sorry! But I keep seeing people post about giving deer or elk antlers as treats. Are these REAL deer antlers? My fiancé and his family are avid outdoorsmen and love to hunt game such as deer and elk. We have some antlers from past hunting seasons at our house. Is this okay to give my puppy as a treat? I would obviously saw them and cut into non-sharp ends..but I didn't know if the kind you buy from the store go through a special process or anything. Don't wanna hurt my baby thanks in advance!


    Love,
    Kayla & Kutter

  2. #2
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    Yes! Real antlers! They are great for chewers! Full of vitamins and nutrients. There should be numerous threads with great info about where to purchase. One option is Carolina Pet Pantry..she has them listed under novelty ..I think! Another great place someone here swears by..is Grateful Shed..just make sure and order large or Xlarge.

    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...hlight=Antlers...


    Hope this link works..I did a search and too many to link!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 11-11-2011 at 05:06 PM.

  3. #3
    Dog Park Attendant Sarah's Avatar
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    423
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    As far as I know there isn't any processing done to the antlers, just cutting them into appropriate sizes.

  4. #4
    Potty Trainer KuttersMommy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kayla Brandon-Lambright
    Location
    Highlands, Texas
    Posts
    54
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Yes! Real antlers! They are great for chewers! Full of vitamins and nutrients. There should be numerous threads with great info about where to purchase. One option is Carolina Pet Pantry..she has them listed under novelty ..I think! Another great place someone here swears by..is Grateful Shed..just make sure and order large or Xlarge.

    http://www.englishbulldognews.com/fo...hlight=Antlers...


    Hope this link works..I did a search and too many to link!
    Thanks! I found a ton as well.. I didn't want to purchase them though. I have so many antlers at our house from my fiance LOL

  5. #5
    Potty Trainer KuttersMommy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kayla Brandon-Lambright
    Location
    Highlands, Texas
    Posts
    54
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah View Post
    As far as I know there isn't any processing done to the antlers, just cutting them into appropriate sizes.
    Thanks Sarah! I'll get the saw out and cut them up! I'll keep you guys posted on how Kutter likes them (:

  6. #6
    .................
    Real Name
    Becky
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,938
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuttersMommy View Post
    Thanks! I found a ton as well.. I didn't want to purchase them though. I have so many antlers at our house from my fiance LOL
    Just don't cut the pieces too small...choking hazard! And FYI..when you buy them..they are smooth as a "bullies behind"!! Lol

  7. #7
    Potty Trainer KuttersMommy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kayla Brandon-Lambright
    Location
    Highlands, Texas
    Posts
    54
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    Just don't cut the pieces too small...choking hazard! And FYI..when you buy them..they are smooth as a "bullies behind"!! Lol
    Hahaha! Thanks! I was going to cut them about 8 inches long. Funny word play


    Love,
    Kayla & Kutter

  8. #8
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,164
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11497

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuttersMommy View Post
    Thanks! I found a ton as well.. I didn't want to purchase them though. I have so many antlers at our house from my fiance LOL
    You have that many -- you could sell them your self and make a few bucks (pun intended)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  9. #9
    Potty Trainer KuttersMommy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kayla Brandon-Lambright
    Location
    Highlands, Texas
    Posts
    54
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    You have that many -- you could sell them your self and make a few bucks (pun intended)
    Hahahahaha!!

    & True!! I didn't even think about that! That's a great idea


    Love,
    Kayla & Kutter

  10. #10
    I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    KMARINO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Bradenton Fl.
    Posts
    7,294
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)
    181

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    I already have word out to all my friends in Ohio, (where I was born and lived for 38 years, 10 now in Florida) it is deer season there and I expect some antlers shipped this way!! Lol. Vegas loves his antler and chews on it all the time. His is about 7 inches long, and thick. You are lucky to have them at hand, as I am sure you have seen online, they are not cheap!!

  11. #11
    The Ultimate Sourmug Sherry's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Denver PA
    Posts
    5,284
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Re: Antlers for treats question!

    There comes a time when the antlers are too dry and brittle, then they will shard off. They will appear white and light in weight. Antlers are best served seasoned. about one year. When served fresh they are softer and can become a little smelly if left laying around (marrow). You can also purchase in velvet ones. More expensive and softer. The marrow carries the glucosamine, thats what's beneficial in these tasty buggers. You can even purchase the buttons, thats the flat, nubby part closest to the head. those go fast and are softer yet, mostly marrow. hope this explains it. You have in choice in the type of deer also. Elk, Mule, white tail, fallow, and Moose. I like the elk best, because the dogs do, but have purchase mule also, they don't last as long.
    Last edited by Sherry; 11-12-2011 at 08:53 AM.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

  12. #12
    Potty Trainer KuttersMommy's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kayla Brandon-Lambright
    Location
    Highlands, Texas
    Posts
    54
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherry View Post
    There comes a time when the antlers are too dry and brittle, then they will shard off. They will appear white and light in weight. Antlers are best served seasoned. about one year. When served fresh they are softer and can become a little smelly if left laying around (marrow). You can also purchase in velvet ones. More expensive and softer. The marrow carries the glucosamine, thats what's beneficial in these tasty buggers. You can even purchase the buttons, thats the flat, nubby part closest to the head. those go fast and are softer yet, mostly marrow. hope this explains it. You have in choice in the type of deer also. Elk, Mule, white tail, fallow, and Moose. I like the elk best, because the dogs do, but have purchase mule also, they don't last as long.
    Thanks! Our antlers we have are about 2 years old. It is deer season here too, so we're stocking up


    Love,
    Kayla & Kutter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •