Antlers for treats question!

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
Okay guys.. I tried searching for the answer to this on the forum with no luck so if this is a repeat post, I'm sorry! But I keep seeing people post about giving deer or elk antlers as treats. Are these REAL deer antlers? My fiancé and his family are avid outdoorsmen and love to hunt game such as deer and elk. We have some antlers from past hunting seasons at our house. Is this okay to give my puppy as a treat? I would obviously saw them and cut into non-sharp ends..but I didn't know if the kind you buy from the store go through a special process or anything. Don't wanna hurt my baby :) thanks in advance!

Love,
Kayla & Kutter :heart:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes! Real antlers! They are great for chewers! Full of vitamins and nutrients. There should be numerous threads with great info about where to purchase. One option is Carolina Pet Pantry..she has them listed under novelty ..I think! Another great place someone here swears by..is Grateful Shed..just make sure and order large or Xlarge.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10423&highlight=Antlers...

Hope this link works..I did a search and too many to link!

Last edited:

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
As far as I know there isn't any processing done to the antlers, just cutting them into appropriate sizes.

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
Yes! Real antlers! They are great for chewers! Full of vitamins and nutrients. There should be numerous threads with great info about where to purchase. One option is Carolina Pet Pantry..she has them listed under novelty ..I think! Another great place someone here swears by..is Grateful Shed..just make sure and order large or Xlarge.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10423&highlight=Antlers...

Hope this link works..I did a search and too many to link!

Thanks! I found a ton as well.. I didn't want to purchase them though. I have so many antlers at our house from my fiance LOL

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
As far as I know there isn't any processing done to the antlers, just cutting them into appropriate sizes.

Thanks Sarah! I'll get the saw out and cut them up! I'll keep you guys posted on how Kutter likes them (:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks! I found a ton as well.. I didn't want to purchase them though. I have so many antlers at our house from my fiance LOL

You have that many -- you could sell them your self and make a few bucks (pun intended)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I already have word out to all my friends in Ohio, (where I was born and lived for 38 years, 10 now in Florida) it is deer season there and I expect some antlers shipped this way!! Lol. Vegas loves his antler and chews on it all the time. His is about 7 inches long, and thick. You are lucky to have them at hand, as I am sure you have seen online, they are not cheap!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
There comes a time when the antlers are too dry and brittle, then they will shard off. They will appear white and light in weight. Antlers are best served seasoned. about one year. When served fresh they are softer and can become a little smelly if left laying around (marrow). You can also purchase in velvet ones. More expensive and softer. The marrow carries the glucosamine, thats what's beneficial in these tasty buggers. You can even purchase the buttons, thats the flat, nubby part closest to the head. those go fast and are softer yet, mostly marrow. hope this explains it. You have in choice in the type of deer also. Elk, Mule, white tail, fallow, and Moose. I like the elk best, because the dogs do, but have purchase mule also, they don't last as long.

Last edited:
OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
There comes a time when the antlers are too dry and brittle, then they will shard off. They will appear white and light in weight. Antlers are best served seasoned. about one year. When served fresh they are softer and can become a little smelly if left laying around (marrow). You can also purchase in velvet ones. More expensive and softer. The marrow carries the glucosamine, thats what's beneficial in these tasty buggers. You can even purchase the buttons, thats the flat, nubby part closest to the head. those go fast and are softer yet, mostly marrow. hope this explains it. You have in choice in the type of deer also. Elk, Mule, white tail, fallow, and Moose. I like the elk best, because the dogs do, but have purchase mule also, they don't last as long.

Thanks! Our antlers we have are about 2 years old. It is deer season here too, so we're stocking up ;)

Love,

OP
KuttersMommy

KuttersMommy

Nov 10, 2011
Highlands, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Kutter (AKA KutterBug)
I already have word out to all my friends in Ohio, (where I was born and lived for 38 years, 10 now in Florida) it is deer season there and I expect some antlers shipped this way!! Lol. Vegas loves his antler and chews on it all the time. His is about 7 inches long, and thick. You are lucky to have them at hand, as I am sure you have seen online, they are not cheap!!

Yeah, I've seen they're not cheap!! Lol it is deer season here too :)

Love,

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
My greedy husband won't let me into his antler collection for the dogs. If he'd hurry up & kill something big this year, I'm sure he'd let me have one of the racks from last year.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
My greedy husband won't let me into his antler collection for the dogs. If he'd hurry up & kill something big this year, I'm sure he'd let me have one of the racks from last year.

That'a girl :ROFL:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.