Would like to share my story...

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Please know I'm not trying to offend anyone, or discourage anyone from using NVI. This is just my personal experience/opinion. Many dogs are doing exceptionally well and that is great!! We switched Ruckus from Fromm because he wasn't doing perfect on it. I started with NVI Beef. Before fully switching he started with constipation. Our vet and we thought it was a sensitivity to the beef so we switched to the salmon. NVI advertises "less stool" so at first I thought "oh ok" but things got really bad. Ruckus almost needed surgery because he was so blocked up. I did contact NVI customer service and was told I probably wasn't giving my dog enough water, because they never heard of a problem like this due to their food. They recommend adding canned food to their dry. We went back and forth with customer service a few times. I never had to add wet to Ruckus's food before this, nor do I now. My opinion is if I have to "add" anything to "make" something work, or give something to counter act something else, it's not the right fit.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I have heard of alot of issues like this with NVI. I also had a guy tell me he bought a bag of NVI from petco and found a fingernail in it. ICK. I want to try it but with all Ive heard Im not sure. Im still battling Lolas tear stains.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, it sounds like NVI may not be the right food for Ruckus. I agree with you; if you need to compromise the food in some way by adding liquid to it, well, i'd probably continue my search for a better food for my boy.
So far, Tate and Finn have been doing well on NVI. They're currently on the duck flavor but have tried salmon in the past. I also give them the canned version, but i alternate that with Blue Wilderness canned also. Have you tried Blue Wilderness yet? my boys did well on that also and they have a salmon flavor. Their stools have been a-okay (knock on wood)!

OP
Piamitch

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Right now Ruckus is doing great. We have him totally switched to Natural Balance Limited Ingredients which out vet suggested. Pooping is back to normal and no more tear stains! Yay!! As of this point I can't be 100% sure it's the food but I'm hoping. He went through a lot, and was on 2 strong antibiotics plus a stool softener for a while. We are off all of the above for a few weeks now so keeping fingers crossed !!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas also has done great on NVI for over a year and a half, I do notice him getting a little constipated from time to time, but his treats consist of baby carrots, green beans, apples, blueberries, all fruit or veggies, so I think that helps him stay regular. If I do notice him having a hard time I will give him apple. His water bowl is always full so he drinks freely. It is so hard to find the right food, it seems like it is a never ending battle on this site with our bullys. What works wonders for one will do horriable for the other. Frustrating!!!!!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=1169]Piamitch[/MENTION]
Thats great that your Ruckus is doing great on Natural Balance LI .
I have my Jack on that too and although his stool is okay (not great - but okay) and his coat has improved alot since being on it, he has developed the worst tear stains he has ever had.. So, Im going back to NVI but trying now the Limited ingredients...This is a constant battle- and its getting borderline ridiculous .:cursing:

[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION], Would you know what could be the ingredient in dog food that mostly would contribute to the runny eyes?
Thanks!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
It's definitely true that what food might work wonderfully for one bully won't for another! Samson has done great on NVI for the last year, the switch to NVI cleared up his ear infections after 6 months back and forth to the vet got us no where. He does definitely have firm stool but I have never noticed him being constipated. I do give him a 1/2 cup of green beans with his breakfast though and I am sure that fiber (along with his other veggie treats) helps him stay regular. No matter what food it is I hope you find something soon that will be Ruckus back on the right track. I had a similiar experience with Fromm, Samson can't have grain and so we could only try there 2 grain free formulas. Neither the Beef Frittata or the Surf & Turf worked well, his eyes were watering like crazy and licking his paws alot, he was definitely allergic to something in both foods. I still think Fromm is a great food and I see the proof in the changes its made with alot of other bullys but just no right for my Samson.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Yes, it's amazing what works for one, does not for the other.

I am also a NVI user and my dogs produce MUCH less waste but haven't had any constipation problems - it's all about finding the right ingredients and balance for your dog. Good luck to you finding it...I know it can be frustrating. (We did TOTW, California Naturals, Royal Canin...and others before we found NVI)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@anatess , Would you know what could be the ingredient in dog food that mostly would contribute to the runny eyes?
Thanks!!

If it's coming from the dog food, then it is a food allergy/sensitivity. This could be different for each dog - just like the ingredient in dog food that causes rashes, itchy dry skin, etc. But, more than likely it is one of the first 7 ingredients listed in the bag.

But, if the only allergy manifestation is the tear staining, it may also be that it is not the dog food that is causing excessive tears. It could possibly be the minerals in his water or just plain blocked tear ducts, ear infections, or temporary things like teething.

Both my dogs (bichon and EB) are on Blue Wilderness. I got lucky the first try - my bichon is doing well on BW so when we adopted Bullie, I switched him from the Puppy Chow that she was on to BW and besides the first week of soft-serve, she is doing great on it. Dry kibble normally is very low in moisture that regardless of what kibble the dog is on, you kinda have to give the dog a high moisture intake through other sources. Usually, it is recommended to mix canned with dry for this reason or soak the kibble in water especially for puppies. We don't do this. Instead, we offer our dogs free reign of the water bowl (which is one of the biggest gripe I have with Bullie because I'm chasing her with the slobber-towel all day long) and giving ice cubes for treats. I do offer canned food to the dogs but not on a daily basis and not mixed in with the kibble - it's like a special dinner kinda thing. Note that each formula of dog food has different moisture content. Moisture content is a required label but you will notice that most dry dog food just says "not more than 10%" or some such which could mean 1% to 10%. But, naturally, a healthy dog will seek water if he is not getting enough moisture so as long as water is available to him when he needs it, he should be able to adjust his water intake himself to avoid constipation... ideally, of course. But we all know our lovable huggable bullies always try to break from the ideal!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I have put Bubba on California natural, lamb and rice, from day one. He has never had a problem with constipation or runny stools. I got lucky! I also give him a tablespoon of yogurt and a teaspoon of fish oil with the evening meal. Hope you find the right food!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.