?? for NVI users please

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
HI everyone :)
We have duke on nvi beef ( dry ) and we mix with duck ( wet) .. he has done very well on it.. his weight is good, he has tons of energy and his coat is like silk.. BEST part is since the switch approx 7-8 months ago NO MORE EAR INFECTIONS..BUT recently he is pooping Bricks! I called NVI and also spoke to my vet.. they want me to switch out the beef ( they said it is a " warm " protein and hard on the digestive system ) so we are trying the salmon flavor ( dry )

my question is the people from NVI were very helpful but told me that their food is designed to be a rotation diet.. she told me that I should feed two three or even 4 flavors at a time and you do NOT have to transition slowly to another flavor after they have been eating NVI over 30 days..

wanted to know your thoughts and if any other NVI users do this?? I did look on the website and there is a whole article about the suggested rotation diet?

I am just TERRIFIED that he will get an upset belly:begging:

Last edited:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I dont know why they would recommend you to rotate all their flavors.
Your bully may be doing fine on the Beef kibble but may not on the Salmon...

At least, that's what happened to my Jack. The NVI Salmon gave him a rash all over his body.

If his skin is as silky as you say, I wouldnt change his diet. Just try to remedy his hard stools... I mean, do you see him in pain trying to poop.?
Maybe more water... Mix in a cup or half a cup of water with his meal...

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I thought the same as you but if you read about the rotation diet they beleive it is better for the dogs immune system.. they also feel they shouldn't stay on the beef all year round.. ?? it is what they call a warm protein? so confusing.. that is why I wanted to ask?

they suggested salmon or chicken dry and keep the duck wet.. I was just suprised they said specifically you don't have to introduce slowly.. she said thier foods are designed to rotate? :eek:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Some people say it is good to switch up their protein sources to prevent a tolerance or allergy, I'm sure that is why they suggest you switch up the formula regularly. I have Samson on the NVI salmon and he really can't have any of the other formulas so I never switch up and he is doing just fine. I HAVE tried the duck & turkey before and because it said it is formulated for rotating I didn't mix at all, just switched him right over and there were no digestive issues at all. He did end up appearing to be allergic to something in it (I think it was the turkey), a couple weeks after starting him on it his eyes were watering like crazy and he was licking his paws alot so I had to get him back on the salmon.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know Karen..Fromm is rotation too..I think it's worth a try! If he's going to have a problem..I bet you know right away. And why not do half n half for a few days! Buy the small bag at first..learned that the hard way!! :ROFL:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
You don't have to go through the slow switch if you're only switching flavors within the same formula even between canned and dry. My dogs rotate between salmon and duck in the same Blue Wilderness formula. But, if you're switching between formulas, even within the same brand (like switching from NVI to NVP, then you'll need the slow switch schedule.

BUT, there are some dogs who are allergic or have some sensitivity to specific protein/carb sources so there is a chance that you can get a reaction on a different flavor of the same formula.

My suggestion is - if you are having rock poop problems, up the moisture of his food - either encourage him to drink more water and/or give him ice-cube treats and/or increase the amount of canned food he gets. Then later on, when that problem is solved, get a sample-size of the salmon flavor and give it to him to see if he reacts negatively to it. If not, then you can do the flavor rotation. Basically, what I'm saying is - tackle it one problem at a time instead of trying something that may solve one problem but potentially cause a different one.

NV has really great customer service. That's one thing they pride themselves on. That's one thing they got over Blue Buffalo.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
We also had (severe) poo problems with NVI. At first I thought it was the beef, but it didn't get any better with the salmon. Im glad your experience with customer service went better than mine did. They didn't mention "rotation" to me, but they did tell me I should be adding their wet to his dry kibble.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Honestly I don't see him being any different on the salmon because of protein whatever. Sarah pooped bricks on the salmon and so did my other 2 dogs. I think it has more to do with the clay in it than what protein you use. Can't really add anything more than what [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] said. Dog needs more moisture in the bowels. You can try the salmon if you want and the food is designed to be switched without the usual slow process you should just be able to switch right away. I have fed my dogs one protein forever and can't see where it harmed them but I think for non bordom with taste its good to mix up flavors

Last edited:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION], I agree 100% about the montmorolinite(spelling?) clay!! It is a binding agent and often used in feed for animals with diarrhea. Don't get me wrong, the reviews about it are good, this is what I found while doing my research though.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has ate NVI Salmon for over a year, I did switch one bag for chicken with bad results, so we went right back on the Salmon. I worried that he would get bored with the same flavor for so long, Our vet told me that was MY problem, not Vegas's. Vegas has always inhaled his food he does not care that it has been the same for over a year!! To help loosen up those brick like poo's, I do give him baby carrots, apple, green beans, blueberries etc......

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
My ONLY reason for wanting to try the salmon was because of the hard poops.. Why do they use clay?? wondering about that? Duke has done so well with no more ear infections that is why i don't want to switch but wondering if it is healthy for him to have such hard poops. Going to take all of your advice and have him drink more and maybe add some more wet... so confused as to what to do... he has many benefits from NVI but i feel bad.. does not seem in pain when going but hard as bricks and I hear him grunt?

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
I just switched my boys over to NVI from Fromm and I have found that of the three proteins I have tried with them, they love the rabbit best. They've been on it for almost 1 month now and I have not seen any problems with their :poo! Right now I have a bag of beef and a bag of salmon open and switch from morning feed to evening feed, but next month pet flow is delivering two bags of the rabbit for them

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
Chunk is having the same issue - he is on NVI limited ingredient lamb. I spoke with my vet about it and she said to give him two tablespoons of pumpkin per meal and we will see where this goes. I was thinking about switching to salmon (more for his coat) and am nervous about the quick switch over too. Seems like this could be a common thing with NVI!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
[MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION], if he's doing well other than hard poop you can try adding some pumpkin or some can food. Ruckus couldn't poo at all. He ended up in the vet twice, the second time he was there for 5days. At this point we decided to switch foods. We never had to add wet food before NVI and his poo was fine. There are many who are doing great on NVI, this was just my experience. As for the clay, if you look it up it has many great benefits. It is a binding, absorbing agent though which would make sense as to why the poo is so hard. Ruckus's was described as cement by our vet.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I don't switch proteins - I think that's so much more about how people feel about variety of food than dogs - and when I did, the dogs didn't do as well on the other formulas as the Beef and Lamb.

That said, I now have them on the NVI LID Lamb and they are both doing good on it...had to make a switch because Truman was getting itchy for some reason and it's helped.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.