Pumpkin and Beno

jonbloom

Nov 4, 2011
My head is going to explode. Nigel is 7+ months old and the best dog I've ever had (2 labs, a golden, weimaraner, and berner); smart, stubborn, snorer and stinky. What more could you ask for? The food thing is enough to drive you crazy. Is it possible to actually achieve firm stool, no allergies and low vapor emissions? Seems like we'll be chasing our tail forever. (pun intended) Lots of great advice here and read every post on food. Seems every bully has problems and there's no single cure... oh joy.

1) Many vets online report Beno/Curtail can work for gas and is safe. Any experience with this with Bullies?

2) How can pumpkin work for loose poo AND constipation? Anybody give it routinely to get a bit better than pudding consistency? Really don't want to wipe his rear forever.

Thanks,
Jon

Attachments

• IMAG0233.jpg
    IMAG0233.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 125

Luvin My Bullie

Community Veteran
Jan 29, 2011
Tuscumbia, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Chaos
:welcome: yes the food thing is enough to make anyone loose their mind. We have tried 3 now are on NVI Salmon and so far so good although it's only been a week. I have often wondered how the pumpkin helps both too. You have a very handsome bully. Glad you found us. I'm sure you will get plenty of good advice as thats what we are known for :) We need LOTS more pics though, that itty bitty teensy weensy pic is definately not enough.....

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, pumpkin has a lot of fiber which helps to firm up loose stool. I give a scoopful of PURE PUMPKIN (canned or fresh )into their kibble at least once a day.
I don't know about Beno and bulldogs tho, no experience w/that one.

Yes, more pics of Nigel please...he's a handsome guy!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
We also battled loose stool through the puppy stages... after changing the food a few times, we were able to determine that he had issues with Chicken. We are now with NVI Salmon and his stools are very firm... almost too firm, but better than loose.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
:welcome: to EBN..... you have discovered the challenge to being owned by a bully... FOOD... its all about Food.

I think we have found that a very lot of the vets that are not familiar with bullies miss how important food is to these wonderful animals. Beano? Well, I think it would be better to find out WHY Beano is being used instead of finding out a cure. Our bully farted like crazy when we got her.... got her on a good food and she rarely toots any more.
Anyway... Glad you joined us and we are going to need a LOT more pix of that sweet little bully.. lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to the winderful world of bulldogs and EBN!!

Well, sounds like you are right on track with the food issues.... Beano... never tried it, but I've been lucky in not having too many food isses. We had a full screen blood allergy test done to identify allergy issues and once we did... we got them on the right food and they were/are great.

GOOD LUCK!

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
welcome.. we don't have loose stools we have BRICK stools!! :ROFL: we are still trying to work it out.. we do use pumpkin and it helps for both loose stools and constipation. I would be hesitant to use the beano.. I think you just need to find what works for your guy which by the way is SO handsome!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and Nigel is a handsome boy. You just have to experiment with food until you find the right one for him, they are all different. What may work on one may not work for another.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Welcome! Havent read all the other posts yet but here goes. Pumpkin works for loose or firm cuz it regulates the system, or so I have been told anyhow. I wondered the same thing a few years ago. Many people do give pumpkin regularly. In small doses tho, like a tsp a day. Food makes a HUGE diff in firmness in :poo: also. What food do you feed now? I have no idea about the gas but it sounds familiar so I must have heard it before maybe?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Oh yes....the food thing is a TRIP, isn't it? (We are sufferers also)

Pinging [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] so she can read and respond. She's a dog food genius yanno. :detective:

Added: here, Chicken is the DEVIL. It makes gas and hives for my dynamic duo.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
welcome to the site and yes you can have all those things just might take a bit. have you thought of giving yogurt to help with the farting? also they make a product i think they sell at petsmart or petco that is for dog farting. ok now food dont know what you are feeding now but nvi limited ingredient is a good place to start for firm stools. also watch treats or any people food you are giving the dog if you are that is. canned food will give loose stool also. just hang in there it gets better.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Well my bulldogs have been on three types of Nature's Variety Instinct and I noticed their poo seems to be quite firm. I don't give any treats except cheese. Those market treats are junk even though they will eat them up so stay away from those. Since I've been on NVI Turkey they seem to have more gas though...but can't have everything I guess. I've been wiping behinds for the last three years so I don't know if you can get away from that one. What kind of tail does your dog have? BabyGirl has a fat booty and a twisted in tail so she always has a little clinger. Wilsons tail is downward with very little mobility so he doesn't get away with a clean drop. My mixed dog is so hyper and nervous that even though his poo should be firm he always does a "messy" and if I don't wipe him he will do that nice "trick" of scooting his butt across the floor, and to make matters worse he'll do the "walking poops." Sorry T.M.I.:barf:

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
thank you [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] now i can go eat my breakfast. :*( wow i could not imagine having to wipe booty everytime my dog went. kudos to you hon

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] you always have to wipe? My gosh I guess we are lucky. So long as the "kids"
:poo: is firm we dont have to wipe. Thankfully! I do remember different foods that made Cutty always soft tho so wiping was necessary then. Fromm keeps him pretty solid these days thankfully!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online