NVI Lamb L.I.T. Frequent poops!!!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Has anyone on NVI Lamb L.I.T. notice frequuent poops? When Bruin & Lilly were on the Turkey/Duck, they would poop twice a day (like clock work), I switched to Lamb and now for the past 2 weeks they're pooping EVERYTIME they go outside to pee. They're solid, not runny...but they're smaller "balls" of poop. Why do you think that is? And a few times I got the idea that Bruin was having a little trouble pooping. Do you think it's because there's less "junk" in the food to poop out?(it being LIT and all, not that the nvi turkey was junk)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know..I don't have much personal experience with the NVI..my Jake didn't do well on it at ALL! But I've read numerous postings about :poo: and NVI. There were a couple dogs who had problems with not going! I am sure someone will weigh in shortly...in the meantime..you could do a search on NVI!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have used the NVI for over a year and a half, Vegas does very well on it, BUT he only does good on the Salmon. He goes like clockwork twice a day. Once in a while he will surprise me with a third. All his poop it VERY hard balls, when I notice him having to strain a little I will give him some apple for his bedtime snack and that usually gets him back on track. What do you feed for treats?? Vegas gets baby carrots, blueberries (his fav) apple, frozen green beans etc..., all healthy and all help him poop with out problems.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Ruckus didn't do well on NVI. Totally constipated him. There are others who do wonderful on it though.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I have used the NVI for over a year and a half, Vegas does very well on it, BUT he only does good on the Salmon. He goes like clockwork twice a day. Once in a while he will surprise me with a third. All his poop it VERY hard balls, when I notice him having to strain a little I will give him some apple for his bedtime snack and that usually gets him back on track. What do you feed for treats?? Vegas gets baby carrots, blueberries (his fav) apple, frozen green beans etc..., all healthy and all help him poop with out problems.

I give them NVI lamb treats. They loved these treats so much that I figured I would try the lamb food. When you give pumpkin, what form is it in? Is it pumpkin wet dog food? Should I try pumpkin?

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Pumpkin should help.... it helps if they have the runs or constipated, kind of equals everthing out. You have to make sure it is 100% canned pumpkin from the grocery store. NOT pie filling. It is not a wet dog food it is human food but VERY good for our bully's I would give a teaspoon (or more I forget) every night to see if you have any different results. Some else will reply and tell you the correct amount to give. I actully took my canned pumpkin and filled an ice cube tray and froze mine. Vegas loves them I filled the cube holder about half way.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
awesome idea with the ice cube tray! Did you have to add water or does it freeze on its own just fine? 100% canned pumpkin, not pie filling...will it be in the same aisle as the filling or maybe with the canned veggies?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
We feed Duke NVI also he does very well on it but poops are like brick balls! :lmao: I posted a thread a few weeks back and we have since added yogurt to his pm feeding and his bowels are much better!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
The moisture content of dry kibble is very low. Some even lower than others. Moisture percentage is a required package label, but it usually just says not more than 10%... so it could be 5% or 10%. I have a feeling this is the reason for the constipation. Encourage your dog to drink more, give him ice cubes for treats, or mix the canned version of the same dog food with the dry to increase the moisture.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I usually give them a spoonful of plain chobani yogurt on top of their food at night. I suppose there's nothing "wrong" as long as they're pooping, right? Since you mentioned pm feeding...does anyone feed once a day? My boyfriend thinks I should only feed them once a day. I told him, "i'm not sure about that, let me check on my bully site and see what those guys think" :)

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I feed Vegas twice a day, one cup for breakfast around 7:30 and one cup for dinner around 5, he gets a bedtime snack around 8. I know the MAJORITY on this site feed twice daily.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Twice a day here but our dogs before these ones ate only once a day, right when they wake up. My husband was going for "free range" feeding - that is - just leave the food out and let them eat whenever they feel like it. But, it became the norm that we put the daily ration on the bowl and it was all gone not even 3 minutes later... so, that's how it became just to feed them once a day.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Well if I'm reading this correct you went from regular nvi to limited ingredient nvi which is going from lots of protein n fat from meat to much lower protein n fat n a lot less meat n other things. The nvi Li is some meat tapioca n canola oil. Would probably account for the different stool amounts. Their body adjusting to the different food. As for the hard stools u have been given lots of good ideas but more water in the bowels is the idea. I give canned food which has more water content then dry to help with stools. Good luck

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.