Very soft stool, other than that - perfect pup!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
yes, I found a good vet that owns several. He reccommends Proplan and to switch the protein from chicken to fish or lamb. I mean, I still have close to a half a bag left. Should I try to just reduce to cups or buy the Proplan and implement?

If that question is directed at me here is what I would do: I would get smaller sized bags of any new food til you know if it is going to be the right one for your bully. I would get one of the HIGH quality foods mentioned by the members here (we are not trying to sell anything) whether it be Fromm, NVI, Blue Buffalo or one of the others. We have proven that these foods work for certain dogs. Of course there is always exceptions but these have been found to be the best bully foods. I would start a slow switch mixing as I explained and most of all be patient. It takes time. If at any point you see negative reactions to the switch, back up to the previous stage for a bit longer.
This is what I would do,,,,, its up to you.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Amber..... I hope you find the answer and please don't hesitate to ask questions. That is why we are here. And Id still like to see more pix.. LOL

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
yes, I found a good vet that owns several. He reccommends Proplan and to switch the protein from chicken to fish or lamb. I mean, I still have close to a half a bag left. Should I try to just reduce to cups or buy the Proplan and implement?

Purina ProPlan is a 2-star food. I wouldn't use it for my dogs if I can help it. Especially for a dog prone to dry and itchy skin.

Amber, your dog's runny poop issues may not be because of the food quality! Your runny poop issues may completely be due to the digestive system shock from the change. Switching dog foods around could possibly just aggravate this condition.

Tell us more information on your method of switching to the new food and how much food your dog eats daily. It could be that we can rectify the poop problems through scheduling and following the food's feed guide to start.

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
I think you'd be better switching to Adult feed now, some switch as young as six months, also recommend large breed as bullies tend to heavier than the breed standard these days and large breed tends to have more joint support. If he has itchy skin then grain free is definitely the way to go. Maybe better to switch over 4/7 days gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old, so he can adjust to the different protein source.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I think you'd be better switching to Adult feed now, some switch as young as six months, also recommend large breed as bullies tend to heavier than the breed standard these days and large breed tends to have more joint support. If he has itchy skin then grain free is definitely the way to go. Maybe better to switch over 4/7 days gradually increasing the new and decreasing the old, so he can adjust to the different protein source.

Excellent advice Suzy except that switching over 7 days is too fast. You need at least 3 weeks to minimize runny poop.

By the way, I'm not sure if people noticed, Amber has an Old English Bulldog - a much larger breed than our standard english bulldogs.

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Thanks [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] I didn't realise he was Olde English, not sure if we have that breed over in the UK. My dog @ 15 months weighs just over 70lbs he's a KC Bulldog, just a big boy.Your right about a longer changeover time for a dog with poops. 7 days is for a dog with no problems, my error sorry Amber.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Seriously, go to the food recommendation page... Purina is not a good food.

welcome to the wonderful world of bulldogs and EBN!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online