Loose stools because of feeding schedule?

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Hi.
I've been changing boo's feeding schedule from 4 times a day to 3 times a day.. I devided the amount of food he suppose to eat that day to 3. Automatically the portion he eats is more.. And now his poo is loose..
Is it his tummy adjusting to the new schedule.. Or he's not ready for it yet?
He'd be 3 months next week.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
The amount of food will definitely affect his stools. I never fed 4 times a day...only 3 and at 6 months went to two feedings. Your goal should be to end up at 2 feedings at around 6 months. For now..I would go to 3 feedings and decrease amount. He should be getting about 1 1/2 to 2 cups total..if a high quality food. I would go to 1/2 cup 3 times a day...that should help his stools..you can add a spoonful of pumpkin for a few days. That's a miracle worker! But remember..NOT the pie filling..straight canned pumpkin..then at about 6 or 7 months..very slowly increase the 1st and last feeding..while decreasing the midday one. Hopefully a slow change when he is a bit older will be tolerated. In the end..you should be at 1 cup in am and 1 cup in pm!

I don't know what food you are feeding..but if you need any advice..we have lots of people to help!

Also..I wanted to add..I have tried repeatedly to get Jake to 1 1/2 cups each
feeding...and I just can't do it. He gets very soft :poo:.. So I always back down to a
cup and a bit more! I feel he could use more..but his little body won't take it!
..:bang:... Good Luck!

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help here aside from the pumpkin as a helper. Being so young I would only do a tsp a day maybe. Just watch and see if it helps, hopefully it should.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Also make sure she has been dewormed since you had her twice :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oops I mean him! Hate posting from iPod!!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i really cant add anything to what [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said. i would decrease the amount of food till the poo gets back to normal. it sounds like its to much for his tummy to handle. let us know how it goes.

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Well these couple of days i've been watchin him.. And his poo just came loose in the afternoon, and again at nite. Morning he's fine..

Do u have a recipe to make something to help him with a real pumpkin? I don't think they sell canned here..

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
if you deworm him and keep him on a schedule and same food for a course of 2 weeks and he STILL has loose stools, contact me.

Are his stools light in color? almost yellowy/grayish? is he loosing weight? then let contact me.

I am the paranoid poo mom on here.

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Last nite its a bit light in color. But thus morning its dark again.. Never a problem in the morning..

I feed him at 8am, 1pm, and 6 pm. Should i move the hours to 6 hours interval?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well im no expert with puppies but maybe that would be good to try since he seems to be ok with the overnight not eating from 6pm to 8am but just afternoon and evening feeding trouble. have you cut back his food? keep us posted.

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
Starting today i cut back his food from the total of 220 grams, to 200 grams a day. Let see how he goes..

OP
loonatic8

loonatic8

Oct 10, 2011
Indonesia
Bulldog(s) Names
BooBoo
I give up chicken since it had bigger risk on causing allergy, my cousin's husky got nasty allergy on her left eye, and it hasn't healed yet.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You can use boiled hamburger in place of chicken too, that is what I use when I ever need it :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.