:poo: Problems :( Need Help ( Nature's Variety Instinct )

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
@EBDR35 .......... I agree with you that NVI Salmon is a good food for dogs.... puppies aren't dogs.. LOL... Im wondering if it isn't too 'strong' for your baby's puppy tummy. 10 weeks old is still an infant so to speak. Maybe a food made for puppies would be better for her. A cup is somewhere around 235ml I think. It also sounds like the treats may be adding to the problem. Good luck with it.. and btw... we need PIX!!!!!!! ;)

Great Point, i figured since NVI is supposed to be 6 Stars and very Healthy that it would be just fine for Puppies, but you have a point it could be to strong. I will switch over back to puppy Food after this Bag since it is almost over, Maybe go back to Wellness for Puppies, What other Grain-Free Puppy food would you guys recommend? I might look into Natural Balance as well or Blue Wilderness, finding the right food is so difficult.

I read that grain free is the best so that is mainly what i look for, i have also read that english bulldogs can be allergic to Chicken, so i also try to look for food without any chicken, which is another reason why i went to NVI Salmon..

I will stop giving treats for now to see if that could be the problem, she was doing Ok with Sweet Potatos & Venison but im not sure about Brown Rice & Lamb Meal

Also im going to buy a stainless steel plate now, thanks for the tip!

some pics

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Here is the size of the measuring cup im using, are they all the same? ( this is 1 cup )

DSC00019.jpg

and here's how it looks once added to her bowl

DSC00020.jpg

really seems like so much, but is that right? 1 cup (235ML)
dont mean to but in and i hope you dont take this the wrong way but i see the food is in plastic feeding bowl,plastic is a no no for bullys ,feed out of ceramic or stainless steel to avoid that dreaded spotty chin,hope your not offended,karen

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
lol ignore my previous post re feeding bowls,missed the previous posts,didnt have my glasses on ,couldnt find them cos i was sitting on them!!!,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I can only add one thing, Stainless Steel bowls work best due to bulldogs sensitive skin, one day you may find yourself asking why does my bulldog have sores on his/her chin or face. Probably from plastic dish's.

Good job showing us how you feed @EBDR35 aaaahhhh one more thing. Pictures of the little Angel........

Great point [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]. And wash them after each feeding in super hot water. :yes:

And yes: PICTURES PLEASE! I want to see this little angel with my own two optical nerves!

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
lol ignore my previous post re feeding bowls,missed the previous posts,didnt have my glasses on ,couldnt find them cos i was sitting on them!!!,karen

Awww it's ok [MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] - you, me and Sherry are sharing the same bwain this morning. *chants* Stainless steel...stainless steel...stainless steel...soap and hot water...soap and hot water....soap and hot water.....OK. That was over the top.

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
She's BEAUTIFUL!

Please please watch her closely when she's eating rawhide! For my two, its absolutely a choking hazzard. We just met you and your sweet angel....we want to keep you for awhile!

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Thanks guys for all the tips, i went ahead and bought here a Stainless steel bowl today! she runs out of NVI tomorrow, what puppy food would you guys recommend? Grain Free

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] ok fromm has 2 grain free foods which say they are all life stages. now makes a grain free food just for puppies which is the company that i use for my pets. orijen has a grain free puppy food and they are an excellent company as well. canidae makes a grain free called elements and is all life stages it says. natural balance has grain free that is als also but i do like the alpha line better as it has more protein and meat in it. well thats enough to get you started good luck.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] - The Food Lady has Spoken. Peace be with you.

hahahahahahaha

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] your so funny
bahahahahahahahaha:ROFL:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This is too drastic a change! DON'T SWITCH TO ANYTHING YET. Stay with NVI. A food switch needs to be done for more than a week's time to prevent your dog's digestive system from reacting wildly to it. The only time you do a drastic switch-over like you have is if you're going into a Raw Food diet. In that case, a complete cut-over on day 1 is a good way to go.

I am 95% sure that is the reason you got runny poop. A food switch is better done within a period of a MONTH. The first 2 weeks should be no more then a 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food. 3rd week half-and-half. 4th week 3/4-1/4, then complete switch over after a month!

Now you're out of NVI and you're going to switch again. You are going to get more runny poops. Guaranteed. You didn't give NVI a chance and now you have your dog's digestive systems adjusting to the old food and NVI and now another new food. Plus the treats. I say limit the treats or eliminate it for now - my bulldog loves ice cubes! You can try to see if your dog will take that as treats. No other food - no table food, etc.

NVI is fine for all life-stages - from puppies all the way to seniors. BUT, more than 1 cup a day for a bulldog under 20 pounds is TOO MUCH. Remember, this is a high protein diet designed for a carnivore. No fillers, no empty calories. A 20 lb bulldog on NVI only gets 1 cup a day. That's 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the afternoon. Smaller bulldogs get lesser, larger bulldogs get more. Here's the NVI feed guide for you: Feeding Guide | Nature's Variety

Please don't switch out of NVI at this time... Especially since you don't have enough to transition for one month. And, my analysis of this situation tells me you might be blaming the dog food unfairly for your dog's poop issues. NVI is a great product.

Last edited:

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
I've always been told to switch the dog's new food over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Mixing one quarter of the new food with 3 quarters of the old food the first week. Half old food mixed with and half the new food the second week; and 3/4 new food mixed with 1/4 old food the third week. Making the change this slow allows the dog to adjust without the dreaded runs.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] i really think nvi while a wonderful food maybe is to much food for puppies. We have adult dogs here who have trouble with it. i did not catch the part about being out of nvi tomorrow and they are correct an abrupt change is not optimal. unless your dog is having life threatening symtoms or really severe allergies then a slow switch is best. maybe buy a small bag of it and switch over is you so desire to change still. food for your bully is a very slippery slope as i well know.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.