Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: :poo: Problems :( Need Help ( Nature's Variety Instinct )

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: :poo: Problems :( Need Help ( Nature's Variety Instinct )

@EBDR35 - The Food Lady has Spoken. Peace be with you.

hahahahahahaha

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@Vicaroo1000 your so funny
    bahahahahahahahaha

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

**guffaw**

Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

This is too drastic a change! DON'T SWITCH TO ANYTHING YET. Stay with NVI. A food switch needs to be done for more than a week's time to prevent your dog's digestive system from reacting wildly to it. The only time you do a drastic switch-over like you have is if you're going into a Raw Food diet. In that case, a complete cut-over on day 1 is a good way to go.

I am 95% sure that is the reason you got runny poop. A food switch is better done within a period of a MONTH. The first 2 weeks should be no more then a 1/4 new food, 3/4 old food. 3rd week half-and-half. 4th week 3/4-1/4, then complete switch over after a month!

Now you're out of NVI and you're going to switch again. You are going to get more runny poops. Guaranteed. You didn't give NVI a chance and now you have your dog's digestive systems adjusting to the old food and NVI and now another new food. Plus the treats. I say limit the treats or eliminate it for now - my bulldog loves ice cubes! You can try to see if your dog will take that as treats. No other food - no table food, etc.

NVI is fine for all life-stages - from puppies all the way to seniors. BUT, more than 1 cup a day for a bulldog under 20 pounds is TOO MUCH. Remember, this is a high protein diet designed for a carnivore. No fillers, no empty calories. A 20 lb bulldog on NVI only gets 1 cup a day. That's 1/2 cup in the morning and 1/2 cup in the afternoon. Smaller bulldogs get lesser, larger bulldogs get more. Here's the NVI feed guide for you: Feeding Guide | Nature's Variety

Please don't switch out of NVI at this time... Especially since you don't have enough to transition for one month. And, my analysis of this situation tells me you might be blaming the dog food unfairly for your dog's poop issues. NVI is a great product.
    Last edited by anatess; 10-26-2011 at 11:16 AM.

I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dulcinea (Rosie)
    Likes (Received)

I've always been told to switch the dog's new food over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Mixing one quarter of the new food with 3 quarters of the old food the first week. Half old food mixed with and half the new food the second week; and 3/4 new food mixed with 1/4 old food the third week. Making the change this slow allows the dog to adjust without the dreaded runs.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@EBDR35 i really think nvi while a wonderful food maybe is to much food for puppies. We have adult dogs here who have trouble with it. i did not catch the part about being out of nvi tomorrow and they are correct an abrupt change is not optimal. unless your dog is having life threatening symtoms or really severe allergies then a slow switch is best. maybe buy a small bag of it and switch over is you so desire to change still. food for your bully is a very slippery slope as i well know.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sleet View Post
    I've always been told to switch the dog's new food over a period of 3 or 4 weeks. Mixing one quarter of the new food with 3 quarters of the old food the first week. Half old food mixed with and half the new food the second week; and 3/4 new food mixed with 1/4 old food the third week. Making the change this slow allows the dog to adjust without the dreaded runs.
    Exactly, @sleet! And for a dog under 20 lbs who only eats 1 cup a day... that's a measly 1/4 cup of new food within the first week!

But, even then, that's not a guarantee you're not going to get soft serve poop. Soft serve within the first week is not a big cause of concern at that point. If you do get the soft serve in the first week, it is always recommended to keep the 1/4 new food for another week. By the end of the 2nd week you should have regular poop. Which is a good time to up to half-and-half.

Okay, a lot of allergic dogs go through food elimination diets (cycling through dog food to see if their dog is allergic to a specific ingredient)... even with this diet, you still have to follow the very slow 3-4 week transition. Which means, you're not going to find out if the dog is allergic to the new food for at least 3 weeks. Once the dog is fully transitioned (3rd or 4th week), then if the condition persists, then start the slow transition to another food. It's a super slow, tedious process that could take several months.

Ok guys thanks for all the Advice, i will be sticking with NVI Salmon Meal for another month or so and see how it works. I was just starting to feed 1/2 cup 3x a day.. But since you guys mentioned its too much for a puppy (under 20lbs) i will now just give her 1/2 cup 2 times a day. Does that sound about right? She has been on NVI for at least 2 weeks now, almost 3. Her poop isnt exactly very soft, but not solid either, solid enough for me to pick it all up together without it going all over the place thank god for that.. And i will try ice cubes as well, i stopped giving her treats for the past 5 days.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

You can always use her kibble as treats. It's great advice for those who are trying to figure out their pup's tummy troubles. Your girl won't know the diff, food is food.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EBDR35 View Post
    Ok guys thanks for all the Advice, i will be sticking with NVI Salmon Meal for another month or so and see how it works. I was just starting to feed 1/2 cup 3x a day.. But since you guys mentioned its too much for a puppy (under 20lbs) i will now just give her 1/2 cup 2 times a day. Does that sound about right? She has been on NVI for at least 2 weeks now, almost 3. Her poop isnt exactly very soft, but not solid either, solid enough for me to pick it all up together without it going all over the place thank god for that.. And i will try ice cubes as well, i stopped giving her treats for the past 5 days.
    Super duper awesome! Yeah, you might experience that your puppy will "inhale" his 1/2 cup in 3 seconds flat and look at you with the "where's the rest of the food?" look. LOL. You can distract him with ice cubes, take him outside to potty train and a few minutes of play and he should forget about his food bowl.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

In my HUMBLE opinion..I would stick with a good quality PUPPY food..and then later try NVI if you want. It was hard on my Jake who is 10 months old. I also agree with @Sarah..if he does ok on the treats from Natural Balance..why not try that food? Jake went from iams puppy. () to natural balance Ultra formula..an all stage food..then I switched him at about 7 months. It's difficult..but he is a baby!bgood luck..and @cowsmom knows so much about food ins and outs..I'd put a lot in what she says.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

We are on the NVI transition now, week 2, not quite at half and half yet. Some of them have soft poop. Mostly Griz, but he's the one with the most problems anyhow, so we're taking it extra slow. They all like it, but eat less than before. I really want this to work because of the potato free. They were on the Fromm Beef Grain Free but I still wanted more for them. Or should I say less, in the way of grain/potato.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads