:poo: Problems :( Need Help ( Nature's Variety Instinct )

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Snowy's been having :poo: problems. I currently have her on Nature's Variety Instinct Salmon - Grain Free, She's been on it for about a Week and a half now, she was previously on Wellness but i heard better reviews for NVI so i decided to switch over. Her poops was starting to get some what solid, im not sure if its the treats i give her because i give her treats just about everytime she goes pee on the training pad. The treats are Natural Balance L.I.T Brown rice & Lamb Meal, i just bought this bag a few days ago and noticed her poop started to get softer, her previous treats were Natural Balance L.I.T Sweet Potatoes and Venison, she was doing better with those. I've read about people putting some sort of pumpkin ingredient and mixing it with their foods which allows a more solid poop? My friend did give her 2 little pieces of watermelon about 2 days ago not sure if that upsetted her stomach or anything? She is about 10 weeks old and i feed her 2x a day, does this sound about right? I basically just serve her a handful onto her plate, should she be eating more? any help is appreciated thanks

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Congratulations, EBDR35. You just inherited my life. *guffaw*

Attachments

• EA1084C4-55A2-403F-90EC-59C349E84580.jpeg
    EA1084C4-55A2-403F-90EC-59C349E84580.jpeg
    306.5 KB · Views: 119
OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Im measuring by using these little cups my mother uses for cooking. I just served her 1 Cup ( 235 ml ), it seemed like so much, if this is how much i should be feeding her then i have been under feeding her by a lot! :(

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
But seriously, [MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] there's an entire thread dedicated to my dog's poopy problems here somewhere. Currently, mine are both on the NVI Salmon - as of today actually (it was the NVI Praire 3 bags before that) - so I'm afraid I can't offer much in feedback just yet. They were on Bison/Sweet Potato for a long time - Bea is almost 17 months old - but their tear stained little faces made me think there's a yeast problem or an allergy problem there. So...the saga continues.

Each food has recommendations for feeding amounts on the back and measuing it will help you keep track and not overfeed - which is my principle problem.

When THE FOOD LADY gets here, you'll get more good advice. And way better advice than I can give you. Uh....cowsmom.....[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]...where are you.......? :tease:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
At 10 weeks..I was feeding Jake 3 times a day..1/2 cup each time. When he was 6 months we dropped the midday meal and increased to 1 cup twice a day..she should be getting a bit more while a growing pup! I think if you feed twice a day.. 1 cup each time should be fine. Increase slowly..so as to not make her :poo: even softer. Also..if you notice a difference with the treats..I would cut out the lamb and rice..stick with the sweet potato and venison..sounds like the grain free agrees more with her..also treats count for her daily intake of food! Might want to limit treats to a couple a day! I'm not much help with the type of food..but [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] should be here soon!

Last edited:
OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
Here is the size of the measuring cup im using, are they all the same? ( this is 1 cup )

DSC00019.jpg

and here's how it looks once added to her bowl

DSC00020.jpg

really seems like so much, but is that right? 1 cup (235ML)

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
Unless you switch foods slowly over a period of a few days...it can (and almost always will) cause changes in their digestive systems. The amount seems about right, but i havent had a little one in awhile. Its seems that I fed Winston 1 1/2 cups a day at that age.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes a cup is a cup..if you are using a measuring cup...if you can..I would feed her 3 smaller meals for a couple months..like I said above.. 1/2 cup 3 times a day would be easier for her...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Honestly I think nvi is to much food for a 10 week old pup. We have adult dogs that can't handle it. If they were doing fine on wellness y mess with it. Wellness is good food. Were u using grain free wellness or grain wellness? Also id pick one treat n stay with that n cut back like [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said. If the grain free one is better then go with that only

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Did you switch slowly or do a straight switch over?

I would go with 3/4 c 2 times a day rather than a cup and see if that settles things out...

OP
EBDR35

EBDR35

Oct 4, 2011
I gradually switched her over from Wellness to NVI, i mixed her food for about a week and a half, i read lots of great reviews on NVI and heard Salmon is good for dogs so i figured i'd switch. I stopped giving her treats for now so i will so how it turns out. I will try 1/2 a cup 3x a day

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
[MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] .......... I agree with you that NVI Salmon is a good food for dogs.... puppies aren't dogs.. LOL... Im wondering if it isn't too 'strong' for your baby's puppy tummy. 10 weeks old is still an infant so to speak. Maybe a food made for puppies would be better for her. A cup is somewhere around 235ml I think. It also sounds like the treats may be adding to the problem. Good luck with it.. and btw... we need PIX!!!!!!! ;)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well you have gotten many great answers as far as food so I wont add to it BUT in the meantime if you wanna add in pumpkin to help a little it would be ok. BUT being 10 weeks old I wouldnt give very much and maybe being so small would be too early to give? I wouldnt think so tho. For full grown pups it is like a spoonful a day so for her little tummy I would think just a tiny bit of it would help firm her up maybe? It is good for them but overdoing it can cause too firm a :poo: so something to think about there too. lol. Welcome to the world of owning a bully. My boy is almost 6 and we are still always looking for the better food. haha

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
If she is okay with the natural balance sweet potato treats then maybe try the natural balance food. My baby has been fed natural balance alpha dog: trout salmon meal and whitefish since she started eating dog food. It's made for all stages so puppies and adults get what they need from it.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I can only add one thing, Stainless Steel bowls work best due to bulldogs sensitive skin, one day you may find yourself asking why does my bulldog have sores on his/her chin or face. Probably from plastic dish's.

Good job showing us how you feed [MENTION=3380]EBDR35[/MENTION] aaaahhhh one more thing. Pictures of the little Angel........

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.