trying to decide TOUGH CHOICE!!!!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Jack didnt do well on NVI Salmon..its giving him skin bumps all over his back and rump area.

Im switching this week to Natural Balance's LID Lamb & Rice.. I know the Natural Balance is lower in protein but I gotta find a food that works for him... Im getting desperate.
If Natura l Balance dont work, I might have to try (dont call the Bully Police on me ) PURINA ! :eek:

Will, did you get the NB already? You might want to try NV's LID formula first. It is also grain-free and they use very limited number of protein sources that are less likely to cause allergies. NV's LID is also nutritionally better than NB...

And just want to throw it out there... it could be that your dog is not allergic to the food...

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@anatess Yes, The 28 lb bag of Nature's Balance Lamb & Brown Rice arrived last nite . I already started mixing it with the NVI Salmon ...

Im hoping the Lamb will work...
If this doesn do it then I guess off to the Vet I will go. Hi-Ho Hi-Ho

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You know what surprised me the most? How quickly Jake had a problem with the NVI salmon..I mean almost instantly! He never even got to 1/2 and 1/2.. He got bumps..the pads of his feet swelled up and turned bright pink..his muzzle got just as pink and his poo was much softer. I am amazed how tricky the whole food and bulldog thing is! I put him back on Fromm beef and I'm keeping him there for awhile..if I feel a change is needed..I'm going to try the natural balance Lim ingredients..I know a lot of bullies on it and thriving..including 4 of Jakes brothers..gotta go with the genes next!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Omg [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] I may have to kick your butt myself. Purina? Pm me before you do that please lol im dying over here. Nvi is better food but is to much for some dogs. Might be better for some to try the limited ingredient one first

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@anatess Hi, Im logging down all the food's I have tried with their first 5 Ingredients, protein, fat and calorie content per cup. That way I can better view the common demoninator with the foods that have not worked out so far.

Question: Would you happen to know how many calories per cup the Natural Balance L.I.D. Lamb Meal & Brown Rice contains? ( I know its your favorite of choice)
:whistle:

I've been searching and searching but can't find the calories per cup for this food.

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess Hi, Im logging down all the food's I have tried with their first 5 Ingredients, protein, fat and calorie content per cup. That way I can better view the common demoninator with the foods that have not worked out so far.

Question: Would you happen to know how many calories per cup the Natural Balance L.I.D. Lamb Meal & Brown Rice contains? ( I know its your favorite of choice)
:whistle:

I've been searching and searching but can't find the calories per cup for this food.

LOL!

Yeah, they don't have it listed. They only have the Ultra Premium listed which is 350cal/cup and their reduced calorie which is 260cal/cup or was it 290?. But, they're pretty good with answering emails so if you click on their "contact us" button and ask them, I'm fairly certain they'll respond in a timely manner.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] I saw the NVI LID Lamb meal . Its ingredients are almost identical to that of Natural Balance LID except for the Brown Rice that NB has...

Why do you think NVI is rated superior ? Maybe the quality of the lamb meal

:confused:

Oh, and :thanks: for your replies ... !

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@anatess I saw the NVI LID Lamb meal . Its ingredients are almost identical to that of Natural Balance LID except for the Brown Rice that NB has...

Why do you think NVI is rated superior ? Maybe the quality of the lamb meal

:confused:

Oh, and :thanks: for your replies ... !

It's rated higher because dogs are carnivores. They have been made to adopt to an omnivorous diet in the pet trade but they are not, by nature, designed to eat plants. If you look at the shape of their teeth, they have sharp canines that are shaped for ripping, shredding, tearing meat. They don't have flat molars that can efficiently chew plants like grains or veggies. Their molars are sharp and positioned on a scissor-like bite which indicates it is efficient at crushing bone and tearing hide. Wild dogs sometimes eat grass for the fiber when they have stomach upset, but this is not their daily routine.

Therefore, a dog's anatomy is tailored for high protein intake and not much carbs. Carbs don't provide them as much benefit as humans get from it, whereas, they have efficient organs that make good use of amino acids. So, any dog food that are low protein/high in carbs will always rate lower than those with high protein/low carbs, especially if the carbs go over 50% of the nutritional content of the food like what you have with NB.

Is NVI better than NB for your dog? No. Each dog is unique and if NVI gives your dog problems, then it's just as good as Purina.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online