trying to decide TOUGH CHOICE!!!!

occfan

Oct 3, 2011
Downingtown PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella 8 months old
I wanna switch up my bellas dog food and go with either natrural balance lamb and rice formula or natures variety instinct salmon.. im trying to go grain free and stay away from potato..

i have studioed both formulas very well and to be honest there both excellent looking to me..

one is gluten free n grain. the other is limited ingrident with no potato...

IS NATURAL BALANCE GLUTEN FREE HOW DO YOU TELL?

what does everyone think of both brands and is one proven to be better than the other??
any
help would be appreciated
thanks
mike

Last edited:

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
This is easy. Go with Nature’s Variety Instinct Salmon Meal Formula. Grain free, potato free, and rich in protein.

But, I thought you were going with a limited ingredient diet? Nature's Variety only has 2 L. I. D. formula that I know of... Turkey and Lamb. Both very good for allergic dogs.

Natural Balance has rice. That's grain. And Natural Balance is high in carbs, low in protein. So, Nature's Variety Instinct is generally a better quality formula for dogs.

Go for Nature's Variety and cycle through their Limited Ingredient formulae or their Instinct formulae and find the best one for your dog.

OP
occfan

occfan

Oct 3, 2011
Downingtown PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella 8 months old
well no reason to go lid if the instinct line is basically limited enough to me plus the bags on the back all say should help with allergies.. just as long as potato is outta the aquasion i feel pretty good with the instinct line

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
well no reason to go lid if the instinct line is basically limited enough to me plus the bags on the back all say should help with allergies.. just as long as potato is outta the aquasion i feel pretty good with the instinct line

That's a good way to go. If you do get into food allergies with the Instinct, you can always scale down to the l.i.d. formula. So yea, I really like Nature's Variety Instinct or l.i.d. over Natural Balance. Hope this works out for your bully! Keep us posted...

OP
occfan

occfan

Oct 3, 2011
Downingtown PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella 8 months old
will do and thanks one question with that line though!!

whats all the freeze dried ings on the bottom of the ing list.. is that all ok would you say?

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Jake did HORRIBLE on NVI..salmon..hope yours does better.

Ruckus didn't do well either. We tried the beef and the salmon. We just switched to Natural Balance Sweet Potato & Salmon. So far so good. Hoping we don't run into yeast issues with the potato but lookin good, and poopin good. Yay!! That's my main concern.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
will do and thanks one question with that line though!!

whats all the freeze dried ings on the bottom of the ing list.. is that all ok would you say?

They're super duper okay. Dehydrated (freeze-dried) raw meat are usually used by high-quality brands as a treat or as a protein supplement. Here, they added it into the dry kibble which is awesome. It's very low on the ingredient list so there's not much of it in there, so, I'm fairly certain it is there as a flavor enhancer.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has been on Nature's Variety Instict Salmon for over a year and a half, it worked wonders with his allergies.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Vegas has been on Nature's Variety Instict Salmon for over a year and a half, it worked wonders with his allergies.

There ya go [MENTION=3374]occfan[/MENTION]..... [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] takes excellent care of Vegas and if she says it was good for him I would give it a shot if I were you. :)

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Jack didnt do well on NVI Salmon..its giving him skin bumps all over his back and rump area.

Im switching this week to Natural Balance's LID Lamb & Rice.. I know the Natural Balance is lower in protein but I gotta find a food that works for him... Im getting desperate.
If Natura l Balance dont work, I might have to try (dont call the Bully Police on me ) PURINA ! :eek:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
That is why everyone says you have to just experiment. You have to start somewhere and the NVI is as good as any but you won't know and no one can tell you... just get it and start feeding it.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Thank you for the compliment [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION], but like you I am a firm believer it is trial and error, what works for one does not work for another, but I do think NVI is a good start, does not mean it will work, just because it does for me, as you have seen others say it did not work for them. Dont know about that Purina [MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION]!! Lol!! we would all be on you like flys on :poo:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.