blue buffalo basics???

occfan

Oct 3, 2011
Downingtown PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella 8 months old
i came across this limited ing from blue buffalo

whats so limited about this food? theres still way to many ingriedents in it for allergies..

anyone have there allergic bully on it?
mike

brandi576

Jun 27, 2011
Seymour, Indiana
Bulldog(s) Names
chance
I tried my chance on blue buffalo but after going thru 2 bags of it and it was still giving him loose bowel movements i switched him back to royal canin

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
[MENTION=3374]occfan[/MENTION] What have you tried?? I have Matilda on Blue Buffalo Wilderness. By trial and error I found out that she is allergic to chicken and duck. The basic is for dogs with severe allergies. I haven't tried it on her yet. She seems to be doing awesome on the Wilderness salmon.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
i came across this limited ing from blue buffalo

whats so limited about this food? theres still way to many ingriedents in it for allergies..

anyone have there allergic bully on it?
mike

Blue Basics is designed to only have one main meat source and a few easily digestible carbohydrate sources. The rest is veggies (not known to cause allergic reactions) and vitamins/minerals. This is not only designed for dogs going through allergy elimination diets but also for dogs with sensitive stomachs. The meat and carbs sources are specifically chosen for their statistically low incidence of allergies with the most nutritional value. You will not find beef or chicken or corn in any Blue Basic bag as these 3 ingredients are statistically high cause for allergies.

So that, if you have a dog with allergies, you can use Blue Basics to start off an allergy elimination process and work your way up to add more varied protein sources and/or carb sources... like the Blue Wilderness line that contains chicken.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
@occfan What have you tried?? I have Matilda on Blue Buffalo Wilderness. By trial and error I found out that she is allergic to chicken and duck. The basic is for dogs with severe allergies. I haven't tried it on her yet. She seems to be doing awesome on the Wilderness salmon.

Blue Wilderness Salmon has chicken in it as well.

OP
occfan

occfan

Oct 3, 2011
Downingtown PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella 8 months old
blue basics ingriendents

Deboned Salmon
, Peas, Whole Potatoes, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Salmon Meal(source of Omega 3 Fatty Acid), Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Oatmeal, Whole Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Dried Chicory Root, Calcium Carbonate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

wilderness ingriedents

Deboned Salmon, Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Peas, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Shidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product,

there pretty close
i dont know like this limited ingriedent food seems not so limited

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think that the "basics" they are referring to is one meat protein source. Yes I agree not much difference and there are certainly many other limited ingredient diets that have much less ingredients in them. I like the looks of go natural salmon but was disappointed to see my petsmart quit carrying it when they built a new store. I am going to check petflow tho. I want to try that one next!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
blue basics ingriendents

Deboned Salmon
, Peas, Whole Potatoes, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Salmon Meal(source of Omega 3 Fatty Acid), Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Canola Oil (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene), Natural Fish Flavor, Oatmeal, Whole Carrots, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Dried Kelp, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Dried Chicory Root, Calcium Carbonate, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

wilderness ingriedents

Deboned Salmon,Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Chicken Meal, Potato Starch, Peas,Chicken Fat(preserved with Mixed Tocopherols and Citric Acid), Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (source of Lycopene),Natural Chicken Flavor, Flaxseed (source of Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids), Alfalfa Meal, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Dried Kelp, Taurine, Yucca Shidigera Extract, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Turmeric, Oil of Rosemary, Beta Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), d-Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Biotin (Vitamin B7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Choline Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate, Salt, Caramel, Potassium Chloride, Dried Yeast (source of Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation product,

there pretty close
i dont know like this limited ingriedent food seems not so limited

Okay, note the comparison of the ingredients between Blue Basics and Blue Wilderness... I highglighted in RED the important differences. Understand also that Blue Wilderness is a high-quality high-protein grain-free food. And another thing to note that by law, ingredients listing has to list the ingredients by weight from highest to lowest. That means, the ingredients that comprises most of the contents of the food will be in the first 3 ingredients listed.

Okay, with that knowledge in mind - look at Blue Wilderness first 3 ingredients - that's 3 different protein sources (fish meal is not the same as salmon) with chicken among the 3. Nothing basic about that at all, especially since Chicken is known to cause allergies. Look at the top 3 ingredients in Basic - only one protein source, the other 2 are carbs. Peas, Potatoes, and Brown Rice are listed as the next 3 ingredients in Basic - all of which are known to be nutrient rich and statistically non-allergenic. The rest of the ingredients in basic and wilderness are almost the same, yes. And that's why Wilderness is one of the top-rated dog food out there. Because everything else are good stuff.

Basically, if you start an elimination diet with Blue Basic and he gets an allergic reaction to the food (slim chance but there's still a chance), then chances are he is allergic to the first 4 ingredients. Switch him to the Basics Turkey and if he is not allergic anymore then the salmon is your culprit. If he is still allergic, then you have a tough time ahead of you because then, he is probably allergic to the 3 carbs which most high quality kibbles use. So, you might have to go Raw.

Another thing to note: BASIC is limited ingredients but still COMPLETE. Hence, you don't just have salmon and rice and nothing else... Because then that wouldn't be a complete nutrition. All the other ingredients are necessary to maintain the complete nutrition balance for the life of your dog - it's not intended to be a temporary diet or a diet that requires supplements unless your dog has a special medical condition like hip dysplacia or the like.

Hope this helps you understand the difference.

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Okay, note the comparison of the ingredients between Blue Basics and Blue Wilderness... I highglighted in RED the important differences. Understand also that Blue Wilderness is a high-quality high-protein grain-free food. And another thing to note that by law, ingredients listing has to list the ingredients by weight from highest to lowest. That means, the ingredients that comprises most of the contents of the food will be in the first 3 ingredients listed.

Okay, with that knowledge in mind - look at Blue Wilderness first 3 ingredients - that's 3 different protein sources (fish meal is not the same as salmon) with chicken among the 3. Nothing basic about that at all, especially since Chicken is known to cause allergies. Look at the top 3 ingredients in Basic - only one protein source, the other 2 are carbs. Peas, Potatoes, and Brown Rice are listed as the next 3 ingredients in Basic - all of which are known to be nutrient rich and statistically non-allergenic. The rest of the ingredients in basic and wilderness are almost the same, yes. And that's why Wilderness is one of the top-rated dog food out there. Because everything else are good stuff.

Basically, if you start an elimination diet with Blue Basic and he gets an allergic reaction to the food (slim chance but there's still a chance), then chances are he is allergic to the first 4 ingredients. Switch him to the Basics Turkey and if he is not allergic anymore then the salmon is your culprit. If he is still allergic, then you have a tough time ahead of you because then, he is probably allergic to the 3 carbs which most high quality kibbles use. So, you might have to go Raw.

Another thing to note: BASIC is limited ingredients but still COMPLETE. Hence, you don't just have salmon and rice and nothing else... Because then that wouldn't be a complete nutrition. All the other ingredients are necessary to maintain the complete nutrition balance for the life of your dog - it's not intended to be a temporary diet or a diet that requires supplements unless your dog has a special medical condition like hip dysplacia or the like.

Hope this helps you understand the difference.

:bravo:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online