Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: from blue wilderness salmon to california natural herring and potato good choice???

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella 8 months old
    Likes (Received)

Default from blue wilderness salmon to california natural herring and potato good choice???

hello i am new to the forum and i wanted some input

i was told cn is ideal for allergy bullies.. limited ingriedents and coomon food.. cheaper and still gets the omega fatty acids and protein is at 21% as appose to wildernss at 34%.. did i make the right move??

thanks mike

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: from blue wilderness salmon to california natural herring and potato good choice???

Hi Mike. Welcome to EBN!

I have never heard of California Natural so I cannot give you any opinion about that, but my boys are currently on BW salmon right now and seem to be doing well on it.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: from blue wilderness salmon to california natural herring and potato good choice???

Mike..check out the dog food ratings page..I have heard of it..great things..we have a few bullies on it here! Someone very recently switched and loves it! Sorry..I can't remember who..but they will find this eventually. @cowsmom..knows a lot about food..she will check in too!

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Well, I can tell you that Bea was on Origen and the protein was WAYYY too much for the bullie system. Origen (I learned) is great for active dogs - but not so great for our sedate little bullies. I forget what the % was on the Origen but I thought the norm was soft serve poops. Terrible! What annoys me is that a PROFESSIONAL suggested Origen. Thank goodness my friend Cindy straightened me out.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella 8 months old
    Likes (Received)

yea people fail to mention that the 6 and 5 star foods normally are not for our breed due to protein levels... but cn is loaded with the good nutrients for them just a matter of getting them settled on it cause bella loved the taste of wilderness

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

The only way you are going to know if it is good for YOUR bully is to feed it to him/her for a good while. Ratings here are based on results of bullies being fed a food vs. other rating charts that are more general than this one. It is used to only get you headed in the right direction. Remember to transition slowly.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

there is nothing wrong with either food. the only problem that i would have with cn is that it was bought out by proctor and gamble which does not have a good reputation foodwise. other than that what your bully does good on is what you feed them. i myself go for lower protein as sarah is a couch potato but others feed up to 34 percent with no problems.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella 8 months old
    Likes (Received)

i am more than certain that 34 % is not bad especially if wilderness is 6 star and recommened by everybody my thing with it is she is ver lazy and sitting around with that much protein could get to be an issue down the line....

but it may not as well..

i herd tat about california natural but i also researched and found that the ingriedents were never touched and remained the same for a while..

every food co will have an issue at one point.. i had bella on bb wilderness and came to find out buffalo had 3 recalls in the past 3 years

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by occfan View Post
    yea people fail to mention that the 6 and 5 star foods normally are not for our breed due to protein levels... but cn is loaded with the good nutrients for them just a matter of getting them settled on it cause bella loved the taste of wilderness
    But..there are a lot of very active bullies and the protein level is fine for them..plus they usually are fed less than any recommendation from the mfg. I don't think a blanket statement on ANY food OR star rating can be correct. I feed the highest rated that does well for my dog. 5 stars..6 stars..what makes him healthy...a big red flag is proctor and gamble..the ingredients might stay the same...But where do those ingredients come from? Most mfg work hard to hide that their vitamins..or a teeny..tiny.. supplement gets imported from China..chances are..you will change foods many times through the life of your dog..it's the hardest part of figuring things out!...good luck to you..hope it all works out for Bella!

Potty Trainer
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Reilly
    Likes (Received)

I just put Reilly on California Natural Lamb Meal & Rice almost 2 weeks ago. it is great!! I have tried everything it felt like and this has done wonders with Reilly. He isnt chewing on his feet and his face is not red at all. the redness between his paws is now a light pink, not blood red!! i highly recommend this food.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella 8 months old
    Likes (Received)

yea i mean shes only on it for about 3 days now but so far so good we will see

peace love english bulldogs!!!!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

To repeat what @BruceP said in a previous post ... the dog food ratings page we have on this site was put together specifically for english bulldogs. After saying that, you will just need to try each food to see what is best for your individual bulldog.

In our case, we put Maggie on Fromm 4* after finding this site and discovering that Beneful was a bunch of crap in a bag. We've stuck with the Fromm because Maggie did so well on it but have gradually worked out that out of all of the different varieties it is the Beef Frittata which is grain and chicken free that she does the best on. So Daddy and Tinkerbell are on the same just because it's easiest and it seems to work for them too. However, we've only had Tinks for two weeks and she was on Pedigree for the whole of her life so ANYTHING is probably better than that!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads