should pups carry endorsments?

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
do you agree with having endorsments on any bulldogs that you breed?there a lot of bulldog breeders here that only let a pup go to a new home that is endorsed,which may or may not be lifted when the pup matures ,the reason being to try and stop bad breeding,but is this the real reason?with some breeders i would say yes but i think the majority believe that no one but an experienced breeder should breed but how to gain the experience if your unable to try due to endorsemsnts ,does this stop backyard breeding,i dont think it does,a female can still be mated and the pups not registered,and sold at a lot lower price,which in todays situation is very tempting to do ,but this also carries risks of buying an unhealthy pup ,which in turn leads to high vet bills and heartache,would be interesting to know how you feel regarding this issue,karen

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
This is an interesting question. I know our breeder has that the dog will be spayed/neutered in his contract. He did offer the option of taking the clause out but at a much higher price. I asked why and it was to discourage people from buying a dog just to breed. I don't know how it is in the UK but there is a tragic problem of puppy mills here in the US so I understand his concern. I do think that if someone was genuine in their intentions, it can be worked out.

mamamia

Apr 5, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Snooki (EB) and Big Mac (OEB)
There was no endorsement in Snooki's contract and we didn't have to pay extra for her. My husband would love to breed her once, however I am scared to death about the whole breeding thing. There are so many things that could go wrong and it will be a lot of work (and who will do the work??? ;)) Then ... just imagine having to sell them... Nooooo I would keep them all :crazy:....
I grew up on a farm, have seen and helped at a lot of birthing situations with all kinds of animals.... Am not scared of blood etc... but just don't want to lose Snooki or put her through C-section and scary stuff just for our fun.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i intend to let annie have a litter only in the hope she throws a show quality pup,she had no endorsements but i did discuss this with her breeder,and the breeder is a top judge and breeder so if she has no problems letting a pup go without endorsements then its something to think about,to pay more for a dog that comes without endorsements tells me its just about the money,as endorsements can be lifted when a dog reaches a certain age and has been health screened,so why caharge more?they are very expensive as it is,endorsement will not put people off breeding ,just from registering them,karen

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
i intend to let annie have a litter only in the hope she throws a show quality pup,she had no endorsements but i did discuss this with her breeder,and the breeder is a top judge and breeder so if she has no problems letting a pup go without endorsements then its something to think about,to pay more for a dog that comes without endorsements tells me its just about the money,as endorsements can be lifted when a dog reaches a certain age and has been health screened,so why caharge more?they are very expensive as it is,endorsement will not put people off breeding ,just from registering them,karen

I think charging more actually is not a bad thing. It might discourage someone from buying a puppy to be only for breeding. Since we knew we would neuter Gator right away, I didn't talk about it at length with him. I feel it is similar to charging more for adoption fees in a rescue. It is not only because of the cost associated with vet bills, meds, and special care but also to deter anyone that might want them for a less than savory reason. KWIM?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It really depends on what the 'endorsements' are. A long time ago I was looking for a pup to breed and spoke to a woman who was drilling me to make sure I did my homework, and that I understood that part of the contract would be that she would mentor me through the breeding process. So it was not so much necessarily JUST to pay for breeding rights, but also her services, mentoring and advice throughout the breeding process. I did not end up getting a puppy from her, but I thought she was going about it the right way. She was not selling the puppy for extra $$$$ just for extra money, she was also providing a service because it was important to her that if you really wanted to breed--- you understood what it was all about--- you knew the risks--- you had someone to guide you in finding the right stud/dame--- and most importantly to answer questions in the middle of the night!

With that being said, I also know of breeders who will 'sell' breeding rights and that is all. I do not believe in this practice. I think almost all bulldogs should be sold as pets only, and breeding rights should rarely be given, and should never be given without mentoring being a part of the contract. Otherwise spay/nueter should be part of the contract.

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
It really depends on what the 'endorsements' are. A long time ago I was looking for a pup to breed and spoke to a woman who was drilling me to make sure I did my homework, and that I understood that part of the contract would be that she would mentor me through the breeding process. So it was not so much necessarily JUST to pay for breeding rights, but also her services, mentoring and advice throughout the breeding process. I did not end up getting a puppy from her, but I thought she was going about it the right way. She was not selling the puppy for extra $$$$ just for extra money, she was also providing a service because it was important to her that if you really wanted to breed--- you understood what it was all about--- you knew the risks--- you had someone to guide you in finding the right stud/dame--- and most importantly to answer questions in the middle of the night!

With that being said, I also know of breeders who will 'sell' breeding rights and that is all. I do not believe in this practice. I think almost all bulldogs should be sold as pets only, and breeding rights should rarely be given, and should never be given without mentoring being a part of the contract. Otherwise spay/nueter should be part of the contract.

This is how I felt when talking to our breeder as well. Like he really wanted to know if someone did their homework and because there is a "mentoring" aspect to that. Like I said, we didn't go into it in detail, but I got the distinct impression that he wanted to discourage breeding unless it was someone who was knowledgeable.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
yes but everyone has to learn and a good breeder shouldnt charge for their services after initial payment for the pup,ok i know stud fees are to be paid and handling but ant other help and advice surely would be freely given,and like i said just because endorsements are put on the pup they cant be legaly enforced not over here at least,we all want whats best for our dogs and it is risky breeding from a bully but i dont think its fair to ask a higher price just because theres no endorsements most bullys are purchased as pets but once we have a bully its easy to get the i would like my own litter thoughts,,karen

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I can tell you I spent probably 100 or more hours on the phone with 3 different breeders before I even had my litter. Then even more once the litter was born! There is a time investment that is involved in mentoring a female who would have a litter-- plus I called them at 3 am sometimes with questions! Also to mentor a stud would be how to collect the semen properly and to insaminate the female properly.

Basically what it boils down to is that once you get that part done, the rest only gets harder and harder as you go. It is important to have a mentor (or 3 lol) and if you don't have one you should not try to breed until you do. But yes I agree someone should not charge more for a pup with breeding rights, just for that purpose.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i agree deserskybulldogs,we need a mentor,annie isnt ready for breeding yet but i chat still to her breeder,i know she will be there with me all the way,after deciding to breed however and given the mating goes to plan the next question is,self whelp or c section?,but thats a different topic,karen

kiss1069

Dec 30, 2010
Amarillo,Tx
Bulldog(s) Names
Coda
our breeder told us that when youre paying so much for a dog, you should be allowed to do what you want with it...we do plan on breeding Coda later on but it wont be done without regard to her or the breed...I did go to one shop in AZ where i was told that they didnt do AKC breeds as the other breeders or clubs were more on a right to life type of clubs...puzzled me for a bit but i understood what she said...my only problem with that was that with that being said can mean that even if the pup has issues they will sell it which is fine but then they sell them at 2ce the price than an AKC cert dog...is there a reason for that???

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.