ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I believe it does... I have Neater Feeders for both of mine, and it seems to make it easier for them to eat. PLUS it keeps the mess contained and not on my floor...

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Ok, this is a great question and topic.

I have been a firm believer in raised feeding bowls but just recently i read something different.

We know (or at least i thought) that they are better for our breed because it prevents them from sucking in too much air stooping so low to the ground and trying to get the food. For these reasons I started using them.
I have 2 dogs both Stella (2.5) and Harvey (1.5). When Stella was young she used to eat so fast and crazy.. she had a slow feed bowl. After about a year old she outgrew that and now eats like a civilized little muffin.
Harvey on the other hand is a complete maniac and there are no signs of it stopping... yet...

now i have 2 issues..

1. I have tried so many different raised bowls and the last to try is the neater feeder. I haven't bought it yet so [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] i would love your feedback. Are these heavy enough that they can't be pushed around? They appear to be plastic in which I would assume they are really light. My Stella is not an issue, but Harvey is so food driven and a scoundrel when it comes to eating. He will move the bowls everywhere to make sure he has gotten every last drop. This results in water splashing or dumping etc.. He does this even with my heavy iron base raised holder with stainless bowl inserts.

This brings me to my next issue... because he eats so fast and furious, i have also tried several different stainless slow feed inserts. None of the stainless ones out there have worked. He either can't get the food or he is spilling it out everywhere!
Because he eats like a maniac and so fast i started reading up on bloat. I wanted to be sure i knew the signs and the potential causes of dogs getting bloat.

What i read surprised me!! It said one of the main causes were raised food bowls. So this has me very curious whether I am doing the right thing by my kids.
https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/signs-and-symptoms-bloat-dogs (this is just one of the many that said this same thing)

Stella is still using the raised bowl and she does fine, i just wish the bowls were half the depth so she didn't have to stick her face so far down...
Harvey is now eating out of Stella's old plastic slow feed bowl (not raised) because it is the only thing that is seeming to help slow him down.

I am really curious as to what other veteran EB moms and dads here have to say on this topic. As always I want to do what is right and best for them... It seems there is conflicting information out there sometimes.

jsygrls

Jul 17, 2020
Port Orange Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Charles Barkley aka "Bubba"
I also use a Neater Feeders, it contains any mess and spills. I have mine placed against a wall so no movement to speak of. I'm pleased with it.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae

I have been a firm believer in raised feeding bowls but just recently i read something different.

We know (or at least i thought) that they are better for our breed because it prevents them from sucking in too much air stooping so low to the ground and trying to get the food. For these reasons I started using them.
I have 2 dogs both Stella (2.5) and Harvey (1.5). When Stella was young she used to eat so fast and crazy.. she had a slow feed bowl. After about a year old she outgrew that and now eats like a civilized little muffin.
Harvey on the other hand is a complete maniac and there are no signs of it stopping... yet...

now i have 2 issues..

1. I have tried so many different raised bowls and the last to try is the neater feeder. I haven't bought it yet so [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] i would love your feedback. Are these heavy enough that they can't be pushed around? They appear to be plastic in which I would assume they are really light. My Stella is not an issue, but Harvey is so food driven and a scoundrel when it comes to eating. He will move the bowls everywhere to make sure he has gotten every last drop. This results in water splashing or dumping etc.. He does this even with my heavy iron base raised holder with stainless bowl inserts.

This brings me to my next issue... because he eats so fast and furious, i have also tried several different stainless slow feed inserts. None of the stainless ones out there have worked. He either can't get the food or he is spilling it out everywhere!
Because he eats like a maniac and so fast i started reading up on bloat. I wanted to be sure i knew the signs and the potential causes of dogs getting bloat.

What i read surprised me!! It said one of the main causes were raised food bowls. So this has me very curious whether I am doing the right thing by my kids.
https://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/digestive/signs-and-symptoms-bloat-dogs (this is just one of the many that said this same thing)

Stella is still using the raised bowl and she does fine, i just wish the bowls were half the depth so she didn't have to stick her face so far down...
Harvey is now eating out of Stella's old plastic slow feed bowl (not raised) because it is the only thing that is seeming to help slow him down.

I am really curious as to what other veteran EB moms and dads here have to say on this topic. As always I want to do what is right and best for them... It seems there is conflicting information out there sometimes.

I just have some raised feeders from Petsmart and the base is plastic. Louie will lick his and Jax’s bowls for like 45 minutes after eating and push the stands all around. So I just pull up the water bowl before they eat to avoid it spilling everywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

now i have 2 issues..

1. I have tried so many different raised bowls and the last to try is the neater feeder. I haven't bought it yet so @ddnene i would love your feedback. Are these heavy enough that they can't be pushed around? They appear to be plastic in which I would assume they are really light. My Stella is not an issue, but Harvey is so food driven and a scoundrel when it comes to eating. He will move the bowls everywhere to make sure he has gotten every last drop. This results in water splashing or dumping etc.. He does this even with my heavy iron base raised holder with stainless bowl inserts.

I have used them for years... I have mine pushed against a wall, so they can't tip it over. It contains the entire mess... food, water, all of it!!! They're plastic, and they have a nice rubber disc on the bottom of them. I like the fact that the bowls are stainless steel, so I can put them in the dishwasher to clean & sterilize them now that they eat raw for dinner.

Have you tried adding some warm water to the kibble to slow down the eating? I have also seen on Amazon the balls you can add to bowls, or some people just add a tennis ball to slow them down... as puppies my two would gobble their food down, but now as they are older they have finally slowed down some.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel

I have 2 dogs both Stella (2.

now i have 2 issues..

1. I have tried so many different raised bowls and the last to try is the neater feeder. I haven't bought it yet so @ddnene i would love your feedback. Are these heavy enough that they can't be pushed around? They appear to be plastic in which I would assume they are really light. My Stella is not an issue, but Harvey is so food driven and a scoundrel when it comes to eating. He will move the bowls everywhere to make sure he has gotten every last drop. This results in water splashing or dumping etc.. He does this even with my heavy iron base raised holder with stainless bowl inserts.

Plastic bowls are a no-no in our house! The scratches hold bacteria which can lead to dog acne, which we fought for years. We only use stainless steel.

I used to use elevated feeders for my bullmastiffs, but the dogs were very tall. We don’t use them for our bulldogs after I read the same information you did. We found the Enhanced Feeder bowl that is recommended by bulldog owners. We love it! There’s less mess because it has a raised edge for them to push the food against so they can get it in their mouths. They go right in the dishwasher. We like the bowl so much we bought one one for Katie, our Frenchie.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I used them for our first two but haven’t with our current guys... never noticed any difference either way, but it may depend on the individual dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Mine are raised but only 2”. Im more on the natural side. It’s basically touching the floor but in a heavy cast iron stand so they don’t move.

If you have a dog like my previous or Jake my white face, they inhale their food n I don’t want to worry about bloating which can kill a dog.
Also in the wild they eat from the ground. Nothing raised. Again mine inhales.

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Plastic bowls are a no-no in our house! The scratches hold bacteria which can lead to dog acne, which we fought for years. We only use stainless steel.

I used to use elevated feeders for my bullmastiffs, but the dogs were very tall. We don’t use them for our bulldogs after I read the same information you did. We found the Enhanced Feeder bowl that is recommended by bulldog owners. We love it! There’s less mess because it has a raised edge for them to push the food against so they can get it in their mouths. They go right in the dishwasher. We like the bowl so much we bought one one for Katie, our Frenchie.

Hi Chris, thanks so much for that info. I'm sorry for my delayed reply, i've been out of pocket for that last week or so.

I have seen advertisements for those enhanced bowls and really like the look of the design being angled that way. Do you use yours by themselves or on the stand? I am wondering how high the stand is? I think i am going to order these and try them. not sure if i want the stand yet. Also, do you use one for food and one for water??

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
Mine are raised but only 2”. Im more on the natural side. It’s basically touching the floor but in a heavy cast iron stand so they don’t move.

If you have a dog like my previous or Jake my white face, they inhale their food n I don’t want to worry about bloating which can kill a dog.
Also in the wild they eat from the ground. Nothing raised. Again mine inhales.

Thanks Helene,
Can you also share a pic or the name/brand of the one you use?

thett

Nov 7, 2018
MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella, Harvey
I have used them for years... I have mine pushed against a wall, so they can't tip it over. It contains the entire mess... food, water, all of it!!! They're plastic, and they have a nice rubber disc on the bottom of them. I like the fact that the bowls are stainless steel, so I can put them in the dishwasher to clean & sterilize them now that they eat raw for dinner.

Have you tried adding some warm water to the kibble to slow down the eating? I have also seen on Amazon the balls you can add to bowls, or some people just add a tennis ball to slow them down... as puppies my two would gobble their food down, but now as they are older they have finally slowed down some.

Hi Tracey,
Well i have tried adding a little liquid, bone broth, it does not slow the monster down.. lol
When Stella was little and ate like a maniac i used to put golf balls in her dish and she had to eat around them. That worked great for her.

Harvey on the other hand is still a maniac, and will even try to eat the golf ball or try to swallow it. The only slow feed bowl design i have found that remotely slows him is a plastic one and i do hate to use the plastic.
I am afraid the neater feeder is too light and he will push it around or flip it over.. but who knows, i may give it a try.

What i really need to do is design my own!!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi Tracey,
Well i have tried adding a little liquid, bone broth, it does not slow the monster down.. lol
When Stella was little and ate like a maniac i used to put golf balls in her dish and she had to eat around them. That worked great for her.

Harvey on the other hand is still a maniac, and will even try to eat the golf ball or try to swallow it. The only slow feed bowl design i have found that remotely slows him is a plastic one and i do hate to use the plastic.
I am afraid the neater feeder is too light and he will push it around or flip it over.. but who knows, i may give it a try.

If your handy, you can make your own. My daughter in law who’s very handy with tools did out of plywood a raised bowl for 3. What’s fun you can do the height you want n put the bowls you want.

Somewhat like this but for 3 bigger bowls...also lower
533ED468-E6A1-4C8D-9A47-B6D61178A5BE.jpeg

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi Tracey,

I have both of mine pushed against the wall... I'm pretty sure that Walter would have his knocked over in NO time!!! Lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online