my English bulldog just got his whole tail amputated today

bhlucas1

Oct 30, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
hi my sweet winston got his tail amputated today. does anyone have any tips to help him, of course the vet sent him home with lots of pain meds and antibiotics. But he still wants to spin on the carpet ( which I know he canā€™t bc of the stitches ) but how can I help him with the discomfort?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Call and tell the Vet that he's spinning on the carpet and ask if anything can be given for the inflammation besides what has already been prescribed...maybe an anti-inflammatory med. Tail removal surgical wound is especially nasty looking...for weeks/months...but the discomfort usually wanes in a few days. Infection and wound opening are the primary concerns.

I recommend that Winston be kept in a kennel with nothing else inside it during this recovery period. He will not be able to further injure the wound site on a hard plastic kennel bottom. Hopefully he won't try to rub his bum on the sides of the kennel. Watch him like a hawk. Spinning and rubbing the surgical area on carpet is NOT GOOD! Also, the kennel confinement will limit his activity while recovering...which is very good.
If he won't tolerate the kennel then find a way to confine him to a room with a slick smooth floor.

I hope he recovers quickly...GL!

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
That poor boy. I hope he gets over the discomfort and gets well soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oscarmayer. has given you great advice I second all that he has said.

Wishing your boy a quick recovery! My guy had this done as well but we had no issues he did not even care or notice that he had something done

OP
bhlucas1

bhlucas1

Oct 30, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Update : he was super sleepy today! He is doing well and hopefully he heals up soon!!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Update : he was super sleepy today! He is doing well and hopefully he heals up soon!!

Great.... the incision will look worse before better, but he will healed up before you know it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
bhlucas1

bhlucas1

Oct 30, 2019
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
he was a lot active today but i feel like once itā€™s starts to heal up a little more it will get itchy. Iā€™m worried he will try to itch his back against something and get his self hurt

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
Hi there - I have a 7.5 year old female that has been recommended for a full tail amputation. We have held off due to her age and just not feeling extremely confident with the doctor. How has your done been doing since surgery? I hope the new booty is a lot better!!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hi there - I have a 7.5 year old female that has been recommended for a full tail amputation. We have held off due to her age and just not feeling extremely confident with the doctor. How has your done been doing since surgery? I hope the new booty is a lot better!!

Hello there. Personally at her age there would be no way I would have her go under for amputation. Risk is too high in age, infection, meds etc etc. My brindle Nyala is just over 4yrs old and was also supposed to get her tail amputated as a pup. She was something like under a year old. I decided to go the holistic way and since Iā€™ve been doing essential oils for years, I went that route. As most members knows Nyala, they can vouched how the mix has worked for her. I still clean her tail pocket but a lot less. The infections, slimes, blood completely disappeared after a couple months. It still tends to get dirty but itā€™s mostly hair I clean out. One of my vets that suggested the amputation still to this day amazed. I did give her the recipe as she asked for it. Hey if it can help other dogs, take it. This recipe is also great for yeast and year infection. I use it as maintenance for both my dogs. I sure would give it a try if I were you cause of your dogs age. Just a thought.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae If you canā€™t find Arborvitae, you can use thuja which is in the evergreen family.

Buy Fractionated Coconut Oil the clear one at your health food stores, fill the bottle of around 4-5oz about 3/4 of the way with the FCO, add the essential oils mentioned above n shake well before using. I always use a glove n fragrance free baby wipes from Costco. I use a little cup n I add that mix in it, dip one corner of the wipe n enter the tail pocket. Repeat each corner of the wipe n keep cleaning till the wipe comes out clean. Make sure you touch the end of the tail wall inside. If youā€™re not, that means youā€™re not getting everything. I did that mistake.

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
Oh yes, I've seen your post and I'm actually a big young living oil person so I have some of the ones I didn't already have in my cart. I also am going to try a few drops of lavender in her ears as you suggested because she also has an ear infection.

We have used fromm beef frittata since she was a puppy and I was scared to change but I feel like the health issues surrounding grain free are a reason to go ahead and change. I see you typically recommend acana singles duck but what are your thoughts about the recent study surrounding the heart failure issues. Just curious! Thanks for your help!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh yes, I've seen your post and I'm actually a big young living oil person so I have some of the ones I didn't already have in my cart. I also am going to try a few drops of lavender in her ears as you suggested because she also has an ear infection.

We have used fromm beef frittata since she was a puppy and I was scared to change but I feel like the health issues surrounding grain free are a reason to go ahead and change. I see you typically recommend acana singles duck but what are your thoughts about the recent study surrounding the heart failure issues. Just curious! Thanks for your help!

We are all here to help :) nothing is wrong with grain free. Whatā€™s going on is a Taurine issue. Simply add one can of sardines per week. If she has no allergies issues with Fromm, donā€™t change now. Acana is a bit better of a kibble. If she gets ear infections often yes change her food. Still add fish or raw organs. I prefer raw organs. Hereā€™s a link that will help you understand. Whatever you do, donā€™t go with a prescription kibble from the vets. Full of grains n youā€™ll simple add more issues to your girl.

https://tailblazerspets.com/blog/2019/02/how-to-add-extra-taurine-to-your-pets-diet/

midatlanticpower

Mar 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco Snow
Interesting!! A can of sardines, like regular ones from the grocery store full fish looking?! I've NEVER seen a can of sardines in person.....lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Interesting!! A can of sardines, like regular ones from the grocery store full fish looking?! I've NEVER seen a can of sardines in person.....lol

Yes make sure itā€™s in water n low sodium. Also check if itā€™s not from Asian waters. Full of mercury. Should be in the tuna section.

I donā€™t give it once a week because my dogs eats a raw diet. I just use it as a snack once in a while. But if itā€™s kibbles do as the link suggest. :)

183CAE99-44F8-48AC-909D-8F0747378354.jpeg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Helene has you covered.

As for the tail amputation I would ask why at this stage I would probably look to drop her wait maybe 5 to 8 pounds if possible if you could post a picture of her from above so we can see her waist line if you lessen her weight that may help with some of the issues as well as using the essential oilā€™s

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.