How excited does your bulldog get?

How excited does your Bully get when people arrive at your house?

• Not bothered, doesn't move

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Just wondered how everyone Bullys react when someone arrives at there home? Dudley seems to be getting more excited the older he gets! This is even worse at the moment as he is at week 10 of his 12 week rest period after CCL surgery so hasn't been out or mixing with other people like he wants to so when he sees anyone new he goes crazy! to the point occasionally of throwing up!

So? whats everyone like? :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We are still working on this with our two... for some reason lately, they go crazy when company arrives at the door. So, they are now told to sit about five feet back from door and visitors are asked to not look or touch till we ay it is ok.

they do not jump , but barking, whining, and begging for attention.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, we tell people not to look at him or give him attention until he calms down, which works a little but he still goes potty the first time they bend down to stroke him!:D

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, we tell people not to look at him or give him attention until he calms down, which works a little but he still goes potty the first time they bend down to stroke him!:D

Happy piddles! If you know company is coming maybe take him out for potty just before they arrive... Might help

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
They both are crazy at first, but Willow takes it to the next level :facepalm2:

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Still working on both but Nyala gets it now and just grabs a toy to bring to the visitors. On the other hand, Duke....well thatā€™s another story. I just simply put him in his kennel for a good 5 minutes till he calms down n let him out. He goes n greet the visitor(s) and goes lay down with Nyala. By having Nyala trained, Duke will eventually notice why sheā€™s out n not him. Nyala is his ā€œlook n learnā€ dog/teacher.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have to lock him in bedroom for some time, otherwise he will jump all over guests and cover them in slobber. He is very well behaved dog except for guests. Just too happy to meet people.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie is a terror when people come over so he has to be on a pinch collar and sometimes e-collar. We can eventually let go of the leash after about 20 minutes as he calms down. But sometimes the adrenaline gets the best of him and you can usually see the crazy in his eyes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie is a terror when people come over so he has to be on a pinch collar and sometimes e-collar. We can eventually let go of the leash after about 20 minutes as he calms down. But sometimes the adrenaline gets the best of him and you can usually see the crazy in his eyes Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question... So when his eyes goes crazy as you mentioned, you shock him before they get crazy, during?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Question... So when his eyes goes crazy as you mentioned, you shock him before they get crazy, during?

So when he gets crazy eyes he gets in the zone and harder to get out of. For shock collar, you give command and if he doesnā€™t listen then you zap and give command again. So basically not during but after failing to give command. But when he is in his zone, sometimes that doesnā€™t even work. Heā€™s been getting better but still occasionally happens.

Interesting though is last couple times, we greeted people outside in the driveway and he was so much better. It seems to be people coming through the door.

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
so psychologically , what is up with this breed that strangers are the bomb? thats an honest question. I've had many breeds and they love their families way more than the stranger but not Hank. He's nuts for others. Though he has just taken a beautiful turn and usually keeps his feet on the ground and even bows a bit to be pet. really sweet but you can see how very much he'ed rather maul them.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
So when he gets crazy eyes he gets in the zone and harder to get out of. For shock collar, you give command and if he doesnā€™t listen then you zap and give command again. So basically not during but after failing to give command. But when he is in his zone, sometimes that doesnā€™t even work. Heā€™s been getting better but still occasionally happens.

Interesting though is last couple times, we greeted people outside in the driveway and he was so much better. It seems to be people coming through the door.

Thatā€™s what I thought when you said he goes into a zone it wonā€™t work. Now you know me I just say what I have to and again always up to the owner to decide what they find is best for their dog. Iā€™ve worked with collars like them for years on my GS. When a dog over powers the e-collar and no matter what level shock you put it and like theyā€™re not wearing one, basically the brain has escalated to a level that it wonā€™t come down till you shake him out of the escalation with your voice n being in his face. Then youā€™ll see they will snap out of it within a few seconds. A dog needs to know the difference between any negative behaviour and the shock. Basically a shock doesnā€™t reward positive behaviour such as sitting patiently or obeying the command to stay with ā€œa good boyā€ or treat. Iā€™m telling you this so you can keep an eye out on the signs of a brain escalation cause he has already started over powering his shock collar. Iā€™ve been there done it. :)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thatā€™s what I thought when you said he goes into a zone it wonā€™t work. Now you know me I just say what I have to and again always up to the owner to decide what they find is best for their dog. Iā€™ve worked with collars like them for years on my GS. When a dog over powers the e-collar and no matter what level shock you put it and like theyā€™re not wearing one, basically the brain has escalated to a level that it wonā€™t come down till you shake him out of the escalation with your voice n being in his face. Then youā€™ll see they will snap out of it within a few seconds. A dog needs to know the difference between any negative behaviour and the shock. Basically a shock doesnā€™t reward positive behaviour such as sitting patiently or obeying the command to stay with ā€œa good boyā€ or treat. Iā€™m telling you this so you can keep an eye out on the signs of a brain escalation cause he has already started over powering his shock collar. Iā€™ve been there done it. :)

We had that issue with Banks too... we had to REALLY focus on learning her triggers so we could get her with a vibration BEFORE she went into her zone. Triggers and timing is everything with these collars. [MENTION=16619]Cbrugs[/MENTION]

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty is so good. He stands to the side while my dachshund goes berserk and then calmly leans on the visitor and waits for his rubs. Then he goes back to bed.

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
so psychologically , what is up with this breed that strangers are the bomb? thats an honest question. I've had many breeds and they love their families way more than the stranger but not Hank. He's nuts for others. Though he has just taken a beautiful turn and usually keeps his feet on the ground and even bows a bit to be pet. really sweet but you can see how very much he'ed rather maul them.

I was thinking exactly the same thing! We have had other breeds before and they have all enjoyed it when people have visited BUT Dudley goes so crazy every time! :) At least I know it not just a ā€œDudley thingā€ now :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.