How or why did you choose your bulldog's name?

How/Why did you choose your bulldog's name?

• After a famous person/place?

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • By their looks?

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • They came with that name...

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters
May 6, 2016
Near the Saltwater, NC
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
This is a great Poll / Thread. Y'all have some great names for your EB's and the stories behind them are very creative to heartwarming. I had wanted an EB for a long time but the circumstances / timing was just not right until recently, so when the time finally came I had several names floating around in my head, but I had to find a pup first. When I did, he was a "Dozer" - which was one of my favorites but he still had to fit the name. He certainly did to me the second I saw him. I thought it was pretty original but I've seen or heard of a few others (I know I saw Vikinggirl had one called that upon joining this site).

I liked the name Dozer for a male EB because:

#1 - It fits their thick, strong frame, sounds masculine and the ones I had been around used their head to head-butt me to get my attention and move whatever was in their way.

#2 - The other definition of Dozer has to do with different forms of sleeping, which we all know EB's are masters of!

Sitting patiently.jpg

Last edited:

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
She came pre-named. She's a rescue. I attempted to re-name her Layla ( after Clapton song ) never worked. She's Porkchop Layla used it as a middle name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clermont

Oct 20, 2015
Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tiger - Ty
He has a beautiful brindle pattern, that reminded me of a Tiger, so his name is Tyger, comes by Ty

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Jax's registered name is Jackson Juju Bean and he is named after Jax from Sons of Anarchy (minus the Juju Bean).

(King) Louie comes from The Jungle Book. Once he gets neutered he will get registered with the AKC and his "formal" name will be It's Good to be King which is a Tom Petty song.

mcardle3

Apr 17, 2012
Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Custer, Maisie, Mosby and a cat who thinks he is a bulldog
Sherman came with his name...it fit, so it stayed. We got him at 2 years old in rescue.

Custer was a rescue originally called "Fat Man" which I personally found repugnant. We named him Custer as our first date was at Custer State Park...and with Sherman, we had two generals

Next came Stonewall, another rescue. We went with the general theme :)

Maisie came named Margot at 5 years of age. We use "lets go" for anytime we need them to heel off leash. She was getting so confused with 'lets go' and Margot, so we changed her name to Maisie which actually suits her better.

In a couple months our new puppy will come. His name will be Mosby, to continue our Civil War General name theme :)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I had wanted a English Bulldog for 10 years, at the time we had a Jack Russell named Oreo, she passed away from cancer at the age of 14, and after she passed, I said no more dogs. A year later I was missing a dog and started looking for a Bulldog, I knew I wanted a boy, and I said to my hubby if I ever get to have a Bulldog, I'm going to call him Bulldozer
(Dozer for short). When we went to see the puppies, they had two left, we spent about a half an hour playing with the two pups. They were both so cute, but I wanted my Bulldozer, but Hubby and our Grandson fell in love with his sister. It was Mothers Day Weekend, and I asked the man if I could pay for Dozer, and come back on the Sunday and pick him up after I bought all the supplies I would need. When we returned to pick him up, the man brought both puppies upstairs, two buckets of food, and two contracts. I was confused, and said, I wanted the male, and he said to me you wanted both of them right? I said No, but Hubby quickly said Yes. He had called back after we got home and told the man we wanted both puppies, he said he couldn't leave her behind, and she was so cute. I was shocked, but happy. It was the best Mothers Day present ever. I thought of naming her Tonka, since we had a Bulldozer, but the guys thought it was a boy name, so I suggested Tanka, but they didn't like it. We thought of different theme or couple names like
Elvis and Priscilla, Rocky and Adrienne, Rocky and Roxie, Jagger and Bianca, or Mick and Bianca. I still liked the name Bulldozer, and a friend of mine had a Bully named Daisy, so I started thinking of Flower names, I had Petunia, Buttercup,
Daphne, and Violet, but then I thought of Blossom, and we all liked it. It started with a B like Bulldozer, It reminded me of the Skunk Blossom from Bambi, and it suited her. My son calls her Apple Blossom, but she's our Blossom. I think it's a cute name.

Hoosier

Dec 2, 2017
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman was a stray so no one knew what his name had been. My son served in the USMC so I wanted a military name but my son thought otherwise.
We opted for Sherman the Tank as a compromise.
sherman in snow.jpg

Sasigirl

Jan 31, 2018
Texas
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasi
My son named Sasi. From the first time he laid eyes on her he just knew. And believe me she is one Sassy little girl!!!

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Bella because she was/is BEAUTIFUL! Lol
Well to us anyway!!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I got Dually when he was 9 months old and had the name Twinkie. The breeder said he looked like a twinkie when he was laying down but I just could not call him that so I went online and searched for names. Since we had a boxer named Diesel it just seemed perfect to call our bulldog Dually. My husband has always wanted a dually diesel truck and now he had one!! haha

RazrRila99

Mar 24, 2013
Phoenix, AZ, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colossus
Colossus got his name after the bulldog in my favorite movie: Van Wilder. Dont know how many here have seen the movie, but theres a bulldog in it that Van Wilder named Colossus. I liked the movie, and my bully is bigger than life, so it just fits.

Being a big Johnny Quest fan growing up my friends are surprised he isnt called Bandit.

FablesMomma

Apr 19, 2018
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fable
If you look in the dictionary for the definition of Fable you will see this -> "1. a short story, typically with animals as characters, conveying a moral." My theory is that bulldogs are 'short', bulldogs are an 'animal' and I love to read 'stories/books'. So the definition really spoke to me. Plus, I wanted something unique that you don't hear very often as a dogs name.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky White was named after Chunky White chicken salad that Publix sales in Miami. I was going to name him George since I was picking him up in Georgia but my niece who was riding with me to get him and my nephew who was at home kept calling him Chunky White because he was Chunky and White as a pup.

4117.jpeg

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
Chunky White was named after Chunky White chicken salad that Publix sales in Miami. I was going to name him George since I was picking him up in Georgia but my niece who was riding with me to get him and my nephew who was at home kept calling him Chunky White because he was Chunky and White as a pup.

View attachment 112216

I love it :) AND... Just came from Georgia. What a beautiful state!!! at least where we were in Columbus !! wow! loved it there right along the Chattahoochee river. lovely! PS>>> love that baby picture of that gorgeous boy :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I LOVE THIS THREAD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.