How or why did you choose your bulldog's name?

How/Why did you choose your bulldog's name?

• After a famous person/place?

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • By their looks?

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • They came with that name...

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
My husband named Biscuit, she looks like one lol so I voted on looks. He says we need to get a white boy and name him Gravy! As for my other 3 dogs, Polly came with her name - adopted at age 1. Hubs named Neo our boy pitty after the Matrix and I named our other mix Tucker just randomly. I liked the name. My cat is Milo after Milo and Otis : )

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
All our babies are named after the boyfriends sports favorites

Lord Reginald Nitshcke... named after Reggie White and Ray Nitschke of the Green Bay Packers
Ferguson Santo Banks.... named after three Chicago Cubs players
Towes Esposito Chelios.... named after three Chicago Blackhawks players
E.L. Curley Lambeau...... named after a Green Bay Packer

bsmith3

Apr 20, 2015
colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubbles
Bubbles is named after a tv show character from trailer park boys bc they bare a remarkable resemblance

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
Our first bulldog came with the name Daisy. We then decided to stay with a floral theme.

So- Daisy, Flora, Marigold and Bluebelle. I really like classic style names. My daughters are Isabel and Olive. I love picking names for pets and humans lol.

Claire McClelland

Jun 23, 2016
Northern Ireland, UK
Country
Northern Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Walter
Aw these are all great reasons!!

We named Walter after our fav tv show Breaking Bad �� heheee

Initially we wanted a British Bulldog named Walter and a Frenchie named Jesse but I think we'll not be able to resist the temptation of a second Bullie, they're just too cute ❤️

Luckily we first met Walter when he was only 4 weeks old so the breeder was happy for us to choose his name and she continued to call him Walter until we picked him up ��

Biscuitsmom

Mar 14, 2016
Richmond VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Biscuit
Love it! My inlaws dogs are named Hamilton and Cena after Josh Hamilton and John Cena. I raised those pups as they were abandoned by a river at a week old.

All our babies are named after the boyfriends sports favorites

Lord Reginald Nitshcke... named after Reggie White and Ray Nitschke of the Green Bay Packers
Ferguson Santo Banks.... named after three Chicago Cubs players
Towes Esposito Chelios.... named after three Chicago Blackhawks players
E.L. Curley Lambeau...... named after a Green Bay Packer

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
When we went to pick Ruthie up her name was Opal at the rescue. Even though she is a precious gem, she didn't fit that name, so we named her Ruthie after Brian's mom since we aren't having kids and thought it would be a nice tribute. His mom loves that we named Ruthie after her. she lives up to the sweetness of her name.

Brutus...hahaha, Brutus came to us with the name Buddy and it did not fit him one bit. The first thing i said when he came barreling into our house when his foster mom dropped him off was "He's such a Brutus", we waited a bit to change his name and we actually had people, who didn't know us meet him when we took him out and say..."man he looks like a brutus" or "he's such a brut". So hence, we changed it from Buddy to Brutus. Brutus was meant to be his name and i'm happy after he's been to 4 different homes before ending up with us that he has a name he can live up to.

Jellyfish

Mar 24, 2016
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hank
My husband picked both names. We get the best compliments about Hank's name. People always ask what his name is and when we tell them they love it and say he looks like a Hank.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank was originally going to be Gladstone, from the English bulldog in the newer Sherlock Holmes movie. Then we had him for a while and his personality become apparent to us that he was not a dignified Gladstone but more of a Frank the Tank from the movie Old School. :lol:

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
Since 1996 I've personally rescued (in order)
Hoss, OscarMayer, Lacey, Smedley, Dozer, Josie, Myra, Cocoa, and Zoey. They all came into rescue with those names and I elected not to change any of them.

I did, however, name Lala because she came into rescue shortly after the passing of Lola and both were white with similar markings.

I also named a rescue and re-home; a stray that I named ChooChoo. Named that because of the train wreck that she was when she came in.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
As a teen i always wanted a big fat cat name Carl.
We got Winslow and going over names, i thought of that. Tubby bulldog > Cat > Carl > Carl Winslow > Winslow

The best game of Word Association i have ever played! We knew right away, that was it!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As a teen i always wanted a big fat cat name Carl.
We got Winslow and going over names, i thought of that. Tubby bulldog > Cat > Carl > Carl Winslow > Winslow

The best game of Word Association i have ever played! We knew right away, that was it!

:rofl: That's great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
We had thought about changing Mabel's name when we adopted her from the rescue (it wouldn't matter. She doesn't come to anything!) but someone told me that her name means Mothers Aways Bring Enough Love. That was all it took for us, since she had been bred so many times.

jfulen

Dec 19, 2015
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly "Harley" Quinn Mayhem
Harley's original name was Molly but she never did answer to it. One day I called her Harley on accident (after watching the Suicide Squad movie trailer) and she came running! She also grabbed my hubby's underwear off the bathroom floor every morning before he could get them to the laundry basket and she would streak across the house and hide behind the couch with them.

The name "Molly Harley Quinn Mayhem" just stuck after that. She goes by Harley for short. :)

MacAttack

Sep 17, 2012
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bear, Mac (2/12 - 5/16) & Louis (french)
Bear's full name is Ted E. Bear but "Bear" for short. The name just stuck out of a long list of names we had come up with, and our son plays soccer for the US Coast Guard Academy - the Bears. Plus, he looked like a little bear to us...he sure is growing like one! He's four months old now and just love the little puddle duck...
IMG_2964.JPGIMG_2965.JPG

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.