How or why did you choose your bulldog's name?

How/Why did you choose your bulldog's name?

• After a famous person/place?

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • By their looks?

Votes: 12 17.6%
  • They came with that name...

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 30 44.1%

• Total voters

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
How or why did you choose your bulldog's name?
bullypoll.png

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson was already Tyson when I got him. I didn't want to confuse him, and plus since he was a big boy, I figured it was pretty fitting. LOL

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
For some reason we had a W name thing going... Winston, then Wellie so we just continued the tradition. We are HUGE Disney fans, so Walter was named after Walt Disney. Willow was my hubby suggestion and we kinda like the way it fit w/Walter so WallynWillow it became.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Joey is named after our Mom. I, of course, consulted my sisters when naming her. Joey was our Mom's nickname and my girl Joey is every bit as sweet as our Mom was (just a ton more stubborn).....so.....it fits :)

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Bob (Hubby) and I made a list of our favorites and picked from there, and when we picked Ellie up, it fit perfectly

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Some of mine were named already, but out pups we used famous singers, and others I just watched their personality and then named them. :)

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Monty was called Meaty which we didn't think was dignified enough for him so we changed it to Monty. (Not that he answers to either one!) We thought it was close enough to his original name to not cause a problem plus it is more English.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Kia came to me with that name, but my first bulldog was Dudley. I named him for the angel in the movie The Bishop's Wife. I love that movie - and was a huge Cary Grant fan - but primarily because in the movie, Dudley helped everyone get what they needed - that's what my boy did for me!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Murray is named after my grandfather, it was his middle name. He loved dogs and passed away before I got Murray but I know they would have loved each other. My grandfather and I were very close and I took his passing very hard. One night after my grandfather passed away I had this dream that I was playing with an English bulldog puppy, I can't explain it but I woke up feeling like my grandfather had been telling me that it was the right time to get a dog. I had been looking for a bulldog for years but had a very difficult time finding a breeder. The next day my dad found a friend who knew of a breeder and a week later I had Murray :)

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Murray is named after my grandfather, it was his middle name. He loved dogs and passed away before I got Murray but I know they would have loved each other. My grandfather and I were very close and I took his passing very hard. One night after my grandfather passed away I had this dream that I was playing with an English bulldog puppy, I can't explain it but I woke up feeling like my grandfather had been telling me that it was the right time to get a dog. I had been looking for a bulldog for years but had a very difficult time finding a breeder. The next day my dad found a friend who knew of a breeder and a week later I had Murray :)

Meant to be [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
What a sweet story! I too love and miss my grandfather and grandmother so much!! They would have loved my Apollo for sure!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BullyBoston

Jan 14, 2016
Boston
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Apollo
My baby's name is Apollo. I looked up several Greek Gods names and my daughter, husband and I all liked this name. Although my daughter preferred Pluto. My brother's all wanted me to name him Gronk-after the Pat's player.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
From watching the stock exchange which I did every morning before going to work picked it years before I got Ftse

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Ahhh great question,
We pick from the heritage of the original OLD ENGLISH BULLDOG, which to Me is England .
We always pick females so that narrows the search , The Prettyone and I go online and use other avenues like books we have read movies we like ect ect .
We might pick 30 or 40 names and then go threw a elimination process just the two of us careful to look at the short form of each name and that fit to us also , we always pick pups so at that stage we do not have any idea of personality and name fit is the draw back to this process but worked for us so far . Diva was a save and not named by us and to be honest she was named very very well , not a name I would have even considered but she was well named a pure Diva she was .
Anyhow after we have narrowed down the names to 20-15 or below we get the rest of the family involved to help pick the final name ( I reserve the right to final pick but rarely use it so far )
Matilda God bless her or as many would know her here as Tilly
Primrose or as some know her here as Rosie
As I have 4 out of 5 dogs as saves I sometimes change there names but only if they are young pups still , if there older saves I stick to there name . I always enquire with the rescue group if they changed the name or did the pup come named that way , Dakota for example came as Parka , did not suit him so changed it , Odin was perfectly named the big goof as was Nelli I just changed the spelling of her name to Me to show her as what she is a wonderful individual , Willow came named as Willow and was a good fit for her

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.