Daily Poll: How do you cool your bulldog down in the summer months?

How do you cool your bulldog down in the summer months?

• Water, Water, Water...

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Ice chips...

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Fan...

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other, please explain....

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
if my dogs go outside in summer the first thing i do before i let them is fill up their kiddy pool with plenty of water and multiple bowls of water.. i then will monitor their play and watch them.. if i feel they are getting to hot i will bring them back inside with the ac..i sometimes even put a fan on the porch while they are out playing..

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
All the above. water, fan, ice, swimming pool, sprinkler (got your attention [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] Walter).

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
We carry once it warms here portable water everywhere feel like we have young kids again lol , Air conditioning in everything also fans in bedroom during night going , one of the things they all love is a kiddy play pool , very low sided so a bully can get in and out easy 043.jpg096.jpg all are guys love the pool , Odin waits till Tilly in the day and now Rosie get in then drags it around the deck with them in it they love that . As the summer really takes hold we get plastic soda or large pop bottles and its a ritual before bed to fill them half way put them in the freezer so when the hot day begins and were away from the house we can take them with us , as the ice melts the water is good and cold and they can drink it or you can rub them down with the cold water no matter where you are with a towel and the cold water , those frozen bottles keep your beer cold in the cooler also or wine or scotch ......... just sayin ......

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I am in India. It is not yet April and the temperature has already 35C or 95F.
If this is the case, we can expect 38-40C or 100-105F in April/May.
Bit worried how my dogs (6 yr old Boxer and 1.5 yr old bully) are going to handle it.
They are already lying listlessly in the apartment. Fan is on 24 hours a day.
But then we also have scheduled power cuts and cannot afford to deplete the battery backup.
Luckily they are on raw meat diet, so they get fridge cold meals every day.
This keeps them hydrated along with cold water to drink.
Everyday I put an ice pack on their paws and head for a few mins each to cool them off.

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
Dudley gets ice cubes made with stock and some of his kibble frozen into them or sometimes to keep him busy he gets a BIG ice cube made in an old ice cream container, he loves them. We also TRY to spray him with the hose although he is not a big fan of that at all :no: The best thing we bought last year was his "Cool Coat" its made from a rubbery type material but soaks up water like a sponge and keeps your dog cooler by evaporation, it feels very cool to touch and when he dries out you just wet the coat again, it certainly helped Dudley a lot. We are in the UK not sure if you can get them everywhere? Heres a couple of photos of Dudley loving his coat, he wears it inside too! :)
Dudley2.jpgDudley1.jpg

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Elmo goes out to do his business and I make him come right back in to the AC, I also put a fan on him, he loves this. I am going to buy a cooling mat soon, I am sure he will love it, I do Hope So

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I voted other, we use A/C :)

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
We have not experienced summer with Frith yet (she is only six months). But the ideas here are great, and I will have to think beyond my kiddy pool and ice block idea.

When we lived in CA we set up a really inexpensive mister system by putting a garden soaker/mister hose strung up in a tree. The chickens would congregate under it, and it kept the tree watered (on really hot days, the cats would join the chickens, and even the wildlife would sit all Noah's Arkish together and escaping the 115 temps).

We have humid heat now, so I am not sure the soaker/mister will actually help. Look forward to getting great ideas from more posts though.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We turn the AC on around the end of May, and then we do only potty breaks during the day, and do longer walks either early in the morning or in the evenings when it's cooler. We always carry water with us when we are out.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I voted other because Joey was just a baby at the end of the summer. BUT THANKS TO THIS THREAD I am now looking at misting systems, cooling jacket, and pad for the car. Joey goes everywhere with me that she can, errands, etc. I guess that has to stop now due to the heat. I have central air that has been on for days now. Joey will be going on vacation with us, of course, and I WILL be prepared. I guess the walks must end now unless early in the morning, right???

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.