Daily Poll: How do you cool your bulldog down in the summer months?

How do you cool your bulldog down in the summer months?

• Water, Water, Water...

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Ice chips...

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • Fan...

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Other, please explain....

Votes: 17 51.5%

• Total voters

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
How do you cool your bulldog down in the summer months?

***This is a very sensitive topic that I will continue to bring up, as I just learned of a bully passing this past weekend due to overheating - note: it was only 73 degrees outside***

bullypoll.png

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Stay inside as much as possible. However, when we are out back with them I have an AC unit, swamp cooler and misting system on the back patio.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We always carry water on us in the summer months with a collapsible bowl. I also have a cooling collar which I use when the temps here in TX reach high 90s. We keep his walks super short during those months. Enough time to do his business then right back home. As I mentioned in my post, a bulldog just lost his life to over-heating in 73 degree temps! He fought for about a week in urgent care, but his poor little organs just couldn't take it. Don't risk it, even if you think your bully is good, better to be safe. Keep it short during summer months, and have playtime inside.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Stay inside as much as possible. However, when we are out back with them I have an AC unit, swamp cooler and misting system on the back patio.

Oooo misting system, I may need to look into this!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I always make sure we have the AC going but outside, we use water...they love to play "hose". We are constantly taking them in the pool to swim. I have a cooling mat for them to lay on. I also make them their own ice cubs made with chicken or beef broth and they snack on those. If they even start to pant a little bit, they are in the house.
If we are out somewhere i always make sure to take water with me, i wet their chests and neck down and stay close to air conditioning.
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] - i just read about Gordo on Instagram, is that the bully you are talking about? it's just sad that it happened.

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
I voted other only because we use any and every method to protect all of our 4 legged friends. We have a fairly large lion head rabbit that prefers to be outside so we rigged him up a supper suite hutch with radiant barrier roof, fans, frozen two litter bottles of water that we change out regularly during the summer, and he pretty much has the run of the yard.

For Jupiter and our other dogs we always limit time outside. We lost a chihuahua to heat about 10 years ago and she was only outside for 15 minutes and our vet assured us it was due more to her health than the heat but we still take no chances.

Note: misting also helps with mosquito's.

OP
TyTysmom

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I always make sure we have the AC going but outside, we use water...they love to play "hose". We are constantly taking them in the pool to swim. I have a cooling mat for them to lay on. I also make them their own ice cubs made with chicken or beef broth and they snack on those. If they even start to pant a little bit, they are in the house.
If we are out somewhere i always make sure to take water with me, i wet their chests and neck down and stay close to air conditioning.
@TyTysmom - i just read about Gordo on Instagram, is that the bully you are talking about? it's just sad that it happened.

Yes, Gordo :tissue:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I voted other, becasue I also use every method possible to keep them cool.... AC goes on usually sometime in April and will stay on till October/November, outside activity time is based on how hot it is but also how they are reacting to it.... they are never out alone and if the temperature allows... we play in the water... sprinkler, hose, baby pool and a bowl full of ice cubes. Sometimes, it is out for potty and right back in the house....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had to put the A/C on yesterday,as it was 85 degrees! (if it was just me-I'd go with a fan:hot:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I voted other too… we use a baby pool, ice chips, popsicles (occasionally) and I like to freeze blueberries, bananas, yogurt to make sweet treats for the summertime. I REALLY have to watch it here because the humidity is awful, so August they are mostly indoors...

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
They love lying inthe sun no matter how hot it is so I have to watch close and bring them inside to the a/c often. They're not lazy at all and tend To overdo it. Plenty of ice and water too...and pool time for Hershey but chum won't go near it.

Danny Ella

Feb 7, 2016
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Ella
Ill have to ask my wife but she found this really cool "bowl" that hooks up to your leash for the dog. It actually folds up completely flat and its very small. So what we do is bring a bottle of water with us on our walks and every few minutes we break it open and pour water into it and she drinks it up.

Its awesome

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
I had to put the A/C on yesterday,as it was 85 degrees! (if it was just me-I'd go with a fan:hot:

I miss seasons here in Texas. AC almost never really goes off for more than a few days and some 24 hour cycles will have the heat on at night then the AC during the day.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online