Daily poll: Have you ever given your bully something to eat and have really regretted it?

Have you ever given your bully something to eat and have really regretted it?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • No

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Have you ever given your bully something to eat and have really regretted it?

bullypoll.png

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
I don't know if this counts because I didn't give it to him-he stole it! But the chicken wing bone ordeal was awful. Thank goodness he didn't have an obstruction but it's boneless wings for me from here on out!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I regret too much fat given to Jewel. A combination of the following: Her food (Fromm's Beef Frittata at the time). A small amount of cheese and lunch meat when preparing my lunch for the day; coconut oil (tbs daily with her food); a fried egg on Sunday morning; low-fat Greek yogurt in the evening; a couple of small bits of steak on steak night (usually on Saturday evening) with the fat trimmed off; and a couple of Blue Wilderness treats here and there. We did not give and still not give table scraps from our dinners (except the prior mention of steak which has changed).

Apparently, it all added up and she ended up with pancreatitis. I damned near killed her and I will never forget that Tuesday evening when she was at the hospital visiting her and learning of the diagnosis with the vet...Jewel just walked around and could not lay down or get comfortable anywhere not even with us and it was very apparent that she was in pain. I asked if they could give her something for the pain which they did after we left...at least that is what they told us on the phone she was getting relief from a Fentanyl patch. Bentley was a basket case when we came home without Jewel. He looked all over the house for Jewel and he could not sit still.

The next day evening we took Bentley with us and visited Jewel and she was a different bully from the night before. The back of Jewel's neck was shaved for the Fentanyl patch. Bentley was happy to see his sister and Jewel was happy as if nothing had happened. I was so glad I had to hold back my emotions.

So if there was something I regretted giving my pups was all that good food that was fatty in nature. Jewel is now on a low fat diet and the treats we now give are low in fat (crude fat 5% or less).

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Nope. With all we have been though we are extremely careful. Lucky for us Harlea eats meals at pretty much the same times we do so she in in her crate.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I would have to say overall I give them both way too many treats. I seriously have to cut back . They're healthy ones but still...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Not so far! They only get their dog food,yogurt,and one kind of treat. I worry too much!

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Abso-freaking-lutely! I gave her poor quality steak for her first birthday. She vomited for days after that. Never again!

Frith

Mar 15, 2016
ME
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frith
I didn't really give this to her, but I didn't save her from it either. This morning the cats were playing with a beetly bug--Frith saw and bullied in and ate it. Five minutes later she was yellow frothing at the mouth and gagging and hacking and probably regretted taking the little bug toy away from the cats.

penguinspam

Feb 13, 2016
Poole, UK
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Betty
Yes! I got Betty some raw bones from the butchers (lamb hip bones I believe) as a treat and thought they would be good for her teeth. She loved them, but we let her chew on it too long and she had poo problems the day after. Found out she got too much calcium, when she finally did poop it was really hard, white and chalky. Luckily some canned pumpkin sorted her out.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I voted no because I have been and will be extremely mindful of what Joey eats. She only gets her kibble, ACV in the morning, and once in a while some pumpkin on kibble in the evening.

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
YES! Peanut butter! This is gross, but with her brachycephalic face, when she licked peanut butter from a Kong (she loved it) it came out of her nose. I will never give her anything like that again.

Chubby Wubby

Nov 3, 2014
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs
I regret too much fat given to Jewel. A combination of the following: Her food (Fromm's Beef Frittata at the time). A small amount of cheese and lunch meat when preparing my lunch for the day; coconut oil (tbs daily with her food); a fried egg on Sunday morning; low-fat Greek yogurt in the evening; a couple of small bits of steak on steak night (usually on Saturday evening) with the fat trimmed off; and a couple of Blue Wilderness treats here and there. We did not give and still not give table scraps from our dinners (except the prior mention of steak which has changed).

Apparently, it all added up and she ended up with pancreatitis. I damned near killed her and I will never forget that Tuesday evening when she was at the hospital visiting her and learning of the diagnosis with the vet...Jewel just walked around and could not lay down or get comfortable anywhere not even with us and it was very apparent that she was in pain. I asked if they could give her something for the pain which they did after we left...at least that is what they told us on the phone she was getting relief from a Fentanyl patch. Bentley was a basket case when we came home without Jewel. He looked all over the house for Jewel and he could not sit still.

The next day evening we took Bentley with us and visited Jewel and she was a different bully from the night before. The back of Jewel's neck was shaved for the Fentanyl patch. Bentley was happy to see his sister and Jewel was happy as if nothing had happened. I was so glad I had to hold back my emotions.

So if there was something I regretted giving my pups was all that good food that was fatty in nature. Jewel is now on a low fat diet and the treats we now give are low in fat (crude fat 5% or less).
What are you giving her now for treats and just in general?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Yes on advice from the vet I gave him a pigs ear when he was a baby for his teething luckily I never let him have it when I wasn't home as he chocked on it and I had to get it out of his throat and I don't think the vet liked what I said to them

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online