Daily poll: Do you own your bully or does your bully own you?

Do you own your bully or does your bully own you?

• I own my bully

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • my bully owns me

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • other

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you own your bully or does your bully own you?
attachment.php

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I guess they own me. They are my life-they have saved my life. MY world revolves around THEM. I make sure they have food, when I don't. I worry every time I have to leave them. At this time,I am worrying what is going to happen to them when I am gone.They are spoiled brats,(but sweet) and they are so innocent.

deerhuntress

Jan 24, 2015
Alabama
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Roscoe
I don't think I own him or he owns me. We are just like a foster forever family. There is my English Bulldog and my Basenji.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I'm not sure I understand the use of the word "own" in this poll. I'm not a native English speaker - English is only my 3rd language - so I might be misunderstanding the expression. I clicked on other.

I own the dogs as in - I'm responsible for their welfare. No-one else but my family decides the care given to these dogs.

The dog owns me - If I understand this correctly, this means you wait on the dog... they control your actions. They are alpha. This doesn't apply to our dogs because we're of the opinion that this is not a good place to be. We believe it is not good for the humans and the dogs.

My relationship to my pets is not really ownership (i.e., possession - like, I own my car). Rather, it's stewardship. The stewardship carries with it its own duties specific to the dog. It requires a balance between the welfare of the steward and the welfare of everything under the stewardship of the steward. So much so that a dog cannot control the steward because it will upset that balance - a dog is not cognizant of the welfare of everything the steward has stewardship over - only the steward (being human) has that ability to reason.

This is something my mother has always taught me (she's a dog rescuer and we would sometimes have 20 dogs in the house at the same time - with the cats, birds, chickens, pigs, etc.) - We have a family dynamic. The family dynamic does not shift to make a dog (or even a new baby) the center of the universe. Rather, the dog (or the new baby), finds its place within the family dynamic. You hear it all the time - a dog ends up in the animal shelter because the family had a new baby - the family shifted its family dynamic to make the new baby the center of the universe. (Note, I'm not saying all families that send their dogs to the shelter due to a baby shifted its dynamic - there are valid reasons for a dog having to be rehomed due to a new baby. I was just giving an example of a shifting dynamic).

... but anyway, I don't know why I always feel like I have to make a fun poll into a soapbox. Hah hah...

Mishell

Apr 6, 2015
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley
Well tonight I'm laying on the floor and Chumley is on the comfy lounge with a nice blanket underneath him so I guess he is ruling the roost

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online