Daily poll: Does your bulldog have health insurance?

Does your bulldog have health insurance?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • NO (please explain)

Votes: 7 41.2%

• Total voters

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Does your bulldog have health insurance?
attachment.php

Please explain

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Not since Trupanion didn't pay up for [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] s Winston!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
No, we thought about it early on but decided to just have an emergency fund for if anything happened. Of course, we didn't plan for anything like last year, but oh well. I don't even know if insurance would have paid out much for what happened anyway.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Yes, Castor has an insurance, and we were very happy that it covered two thirds of the costs when he had his nares/soft palate surgery. Apparently not all companies here cover that type of surgery in bulldogs.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we used to, and we used it, but then they decreased their coverage because Lola was considered high risk. So I cancelled it while we were ahead. Now THAT doesnt happen very often....an insurance company pays more than it received. They heard it from me alright.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Not since Trupanion didn't pay up for @ddnene s Winston!

Yeah we didn't have a good relationship w/Trupanion… I will NEVER have pet insurance EVER again. I have a nest-egg for my doggies!!!

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Yes, we have VPI pet insurance for Winnie and Jack. I've never had pet insurance for any of my dogs before. They have paid Winnie's wellness claims. So far, she hasn't been sick. On the other hand, when our adopted dog, Jack, tested positive for heartworms, I found out they don't pay for treatment of any parasites. Oops. They also don't pay for any pre-existing conditions or congenital conditions, so I'm thinking something like nares might come under one of those exclusions, although I don't know that for sure. It will be interesting to see how it goes.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we just have a credit card that is used for only vet/dog purchases/bills

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
No, Never had it for any of my animals, but I also always have an emergency fund, for kids and animals and unexpected bills !

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I have healthy paws. 90% payout and 250$ deductible. They have been fabulous. Just yesterday I got a claim processed in less than 5 minutes. They send the checks very fast as well. I do agree that it is more beneficial if you get it while your dog is young since most of the companies will not cover pre-existing conditions. Some do not cover the cost of the vet visit and most do not cover preventative stuff like booster shots.

Example of a pre-existing condition: you mention your dog has been itching at his ears. Weeks or months later you go back in and your dog is diagnosed with an ear infection. This will most likely be considered a pre-existing condition. Healthy paws has been great and honestly has paid me or for a lot of stuff I thought would be considered pre-existing.

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
After Angel and Jackson's parvo incident I signed up for pet insurance. Surprisingly, I get a discount thru pet first because of where I work and the mack daddy plan, $100 dollar deductible, and covers 90% after that, is $96 a month. Their stent as inpatients couldn't have came at a worse time, right after Christmas, my husband got a DUI <-you've never seen anger like mine this night, he hasn't had a drink since - , my husband wrecked and totalled his truck - he actually wasn't drinking - broke his wrist and was on "light duty" he's a diesel mechanic at a performance shop, so light duty means no money! $4,000 dollars in vet bills, plus all our other bills, a new truck, AND a new windshield for my car later, we're broke and getting creative with Ramen noodles for every meal! Haha if we would've had pet insurance we would've at least had money for the cup'o'noodles with the corn and pea's! Lol
We don't have any credit cards, but if we did, I would've burned the plastic off them at the vet this past month!

Most Reactions