Daily poll: Where did you get your English Bulldog?

Where did you get your English Bulldog?

• Classifieds (For Sale)

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Classifieds (Rehoming)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • A Rescue or Shelter

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • A Local Breeder

Votes: 19 54.3%
  • A Pet Store

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Purchased Online

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 9 25.7%

• Total voters

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
lol.. wow.. so different here. I'm in New York city (Manhattan). I would consider the 5 boroughs that make up NYC local. Anything outside.. :no:

We got Blue about 2.5 hours away from home (upstate ny).. I never thought of that as local..

LOL! That might be my own weirdness. But, considering I live in the DC Metro area and I can spend over an hour going anywhere in DC, MD, or VA, I kind of loosely call the breeder local. The breeder isn't DC Metro, but he is in Virginia and my Bella didn't have to be shipped! LOL

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I know this is awful and I hope y'all don't hate me, but I found Winnie on Craig's List. This was a guy (local) who had a female bully that he bred to his friend's male bully and she had a litter of pups. I know I broke the rule of no backyard breeders. I did see mama, who was very friendly and still letting the pups nurse at almost 8 weeks old! I asked about health issues, skin problems, and cherry eye. The guy assured me that neither mom or dad had any of these issues and I took his word for it.

It was funny, when I first called the guy, he wanted to meet me somewhere. I said if I couldn't come see the puppies and their mom at his house, I didn't want the puppy. He said his parents were afraid to have someone to come to their house from Craig's List! We ended up going to his house.

This kind of brings up an issue about bulldog puppies though. Most people know they should look for a reputable breeder for a puppy. We don't want to encourage back yard breeding and certainly don't want to support pet stores, who are notorious for getting their puppies from puppy mills. And those online sites where you pay the money and they ship you a puppy are terrible! When I started researching breeders, some of whom I knew, none of them had any puppies available at the time. I think the demand for bullies is way higher than there are litters available from reputable breeders and I think that's one reason people end up buying from questionable breeders, or importers, or puppy mills, or whatever they find online. A lot of those online puppies are very expensive and likely to have more than their fair share of health issues, but people still pay the big bucks for them. It's too bad.

Anyway, I don't know why I got on such a rant on a simple poll question! I guess justifying why I got Winnie the way I did. Sweet Winnie will never be a show dog--we didn't want one. So far she doesn't have any health issues, but that's always kind of a crap shoot with Bulldogs. And she did need a home....

benny316

Sep 9, 2014
I got becky in the buy and sell she was bought over from Hungry. Funny thing I know a fella who owns her sister. She is from the Rizi bizi golden bulls kennels Hungary i nearly lost her last year just before xmas due to her eating a wasp and being stung internally had to get an emergency tracheostomy done as the swelling from the sting closed off her airway all very touch and go but thankfully she is alright now she was 3 December. MJ was got from england from infallibull kennels in England she's a great little dog energy for days loves flying about the place. If I won the lottery id have an army of them
e64e91d0275c1dda5e93560f51855cec.jpg

boxorox

Jul 2, 2014
Wisconsin
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruby
Ruby is a breeder cast-off. We contacted a local breeder when we began our search. The breeder said she had an old puppy(5months) she had intended to keep for color, but it was obvious at 5 months that Ruby's proportions were off(her torso is long). A think of her more as a rescue...than as a choice from a breeder.

OP
D

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I know this is awful and I hope y'all don't hate me, but I found Winnie on Craig's List. This was a guy (local) who had a female bully that he bred to his friend's male bully and she had a litter of pups. I know I broke the rule of no backyard breeders. I did see mama, who was very friendly and still letting the pups nurse at almost 8 weeks old! I asked about health issues, skin problems, and cherry eye. The guy assured me that neither mom or dad had any of these issues and I took his word for it.

It was funny, when I first called the guy, he wanted to meet me somewhere. I said if I couldn't come see the puppies and their mom at his house, I didn't want the puppy. He said his parents were afraid to have someone to come to their house from Craig's List! We ended up going to his house.

This kind of brings up an issue about bulldog puppies though. Most people know they should look for a reputable breeder for a puppy. We don't want to encourage back yard breeding and certainly don't want to support pet stores, who are notorious for getting their puppies from puppy mills. And those online sites where you pay the money and they ship you a puppy are terrible! When I started researching breeders, some of whom I knew, none of them had any puppies available at the time. I think the demand for bullies is way higher than there are litters available from reputable breeders and I think that's one reason people end up buying from questionable breeders, or importers, or puppy mills, or whatever they find online. A lot of those online puppies are very expensive and likely to have more than their fair share of health issues, but people still pay the big bucks for them. It's too bad.

Anyway, I don't know why I got on such a rant on a simple poll question! I guess justifying why I got Winnie the way I did. Sweet Winnie will never be a show dog--we didn't want one. So far she doesn't have any health issues, but that's always kind of a crap shoot with Bulldogs. And she did need a home....

No one is here to judge. :goodpost::2thumbs:

Rigginsluv11

Apr 12, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Riggins
Riggins was bought for me by a friend after I lost my Boston Terrier unexpectedly. He is from ChampBulldogs. He is by far the greatest gift I've ever received in my life. But......
Now I know the wonderful world of rescues and I have fostered 4 amazing bulldogs for Bullies 2 The Rescue. Whenever the day comes for my next bulldog, he or she will come from there. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BulldogMomma

Mar 18, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King George
Our breeder was about 3 hours north of us & she is AWESOME! If you're in North Alabama looking for a pup then let me know! Ours is awesome! Still talk and George is almost a year and a half!

binxrexchubbs

Oct 1, 2014
NH seacoast
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Chubbs W.C.
At first we looked locally but the prices were too much for us, $3k+ (just the puppy and his initial shots.) We kept looking, took us about 6 mos but we eventually found a site online. We contacted them and had a long conversation. Chubbs came with many accessories including a microchip! Thought it over and the rest is history. So I flew round-trip with my MIL from NH to Missouri and picked up our baby. That was a LONG day.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
We got Walter from a breeder out of state...

BeeGee

Apr 26, 2013
Bryan, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lula Belle & Big Chief
Our Belle came from a lady my husband works with- but she's not a breeder per se. Her bulldog and her grown daughter's bulldog had 1 litter of 3 before being spayed. Chief was a rescue.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.