Daily poll: Have you found the right food for your bulldog?

Have you found the right food for your bulldog?

• Yes (please explain)

Votes: 20 69.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 31.0%

• Total voters

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
So after being on 2 bags of fromm game bird Winston is now another yeast farm. ... :( he instantly looked better on game bird from the beef. Within 2 days! ! His cysts on paws went away, eye gunk looked much better, stopped licking paws Etc. Now. .... 2 small bags later eyes awful, ear infection in one ear, cysts back. :( poor baby. Rolling all over the place to scratch his back. Back to vet, back on all his meds. Vet not sure if it's food or immune. Recommending trying another fromm. We have done the fish, the beef and now the game bird. Any ideas [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] or anyone? ? You guys are so helpful and I know every bully is different.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So after being on 2 bags of fromm game bird Winston is now another yeast farm. ... :( he instantly looked better on game bird from the beef. Within 2 days! ! His cysts on paws went away, eye gunk looked much better, stopped licking paws Etc. Now. .... 2 small bags later eyes awful, ear infection in one ear, cysts back. :( poor baby. Rolling all over the place to scratch his back. Back to vet, back on all his meds. Vet not sure if it's food or immune. Recommending trying another fromm. We have done the fish, the beef and now the game bird. Any ideas @2BullyMama or anyone? ? You guys are so helpful and I know every bully is different.

Pork and Peas? That worked best for Banks and a few others.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
So after being on 2 bags of fromm game bird Winston is now another yeast farm. ... :( he instantly looked better on game bird from the beef. Within 2 days! ! His cysts on paws went away, eye gunk looked much better, stopped licking paws Etc. Now. .... 2 small bags later eyes awful, ear infection in one ear, cysts back. :( poor baby. Rolling all over the place to scratch his back. Back to vet, back on all his meds. Vet not sure if it's food or immune. Recommending trying another fromm. We have done the fish, the beef and now the game bird. Any ideas [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] or anyone? ? You guys are so helpful and I know every bully is different.
You could be running in to what we have with Harlea. After a few days on a new protein she would look great and then get all itchy and irritated a few days later no matter which Fromm's we gave her. What we discovered after switching to THK is that it isn't so much what protein she get that causes her issues it was the amount of each protein she received each day that was the problem. The only exception to this for us is with lamb as she breaks out regardless of the amount she has.

triggerSnores

Jul 21, 2014
You could be running in to what we have with Harlea. After a few days on a new protein she would look great and then get all itchy and irritated a few days later no matter which Fromm's we gave her. What we discovered after switching to THK is that it isn't so much what protein she get that causes her issues it was the amount of each protein she received each day that was the problem. The only exception to this for us is with lamb as she breaks out regardless of the amount she has.
Thank you. We found a food without peas in it, I have read many have trouble with that and so far that was the only ingredient in all we have tried. Your findings will definetly be something we look into. thank you so much. And you too [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]. So helpful. I really appreciate it.

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
Bentley was a very stinky boy when I brought him home. He had raised yeasty bump patches and bare patches. I changed him to Nutro sensitive skin and stomach. His skin showed some improvement but he continued to smell aweful. I tried him on a better quality food, Taste of the Wild Bison and Venison and he immediately got worse. Next I tried Blue Buffalo life protection lamb and brown rice. He improved from the TOTW but this was not much better than the Nutro. After giving it a chance without substantial improvement, I went to my local boutique pet supply store. They said I had been feeding "hot" proteins and that I should be feeding "cool" proteins. I tried him on Canidae pure sky. Right away, he seemed better but then he started rolling on his back. His eyes are getting goopy brown and he has dark brown tear stains. When I clean under his tail, I get the same color brown (not poop), and the same from his nose rope. And it's the same color as the food. Is that strange? I hate to keep changing his diet but I still don't think we've found "the one."

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus is doing well right now on I and Love and You Nude food. He love the seafood one. The first few ingredients are:
INGREDIENTS: cod,herring fish meal, lentils, garbanzo beans, menhaden fish meal, sweet potato, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), dried beet pulp, natural flavor, blueberries, apple, spinach, tomato, carrot, olive oil, brewers dried yeast, new zealand green mussel,

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
All the flavors of Fromm have been great for June EXCEPT the Lamb and Lentils. She got interdigital cysts. Going to try again with a small bag next time we buy food to confirm it was that food specifically...

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I said yes. But she has those dreaded tear stains still. We do Earthborn holistic Coastal catch. She loves it. Her tear stains look horrible though.

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
Yes, at least for now, I hope. Blossom has always been allergic to chicken, salmon, and sensitive to corn and grains since a puppy, we had to switch her food 4 times before we found Fromm's Beef Frittata, and we had been feeding this food for the last 2 years, but then she started showing some signs of allergy symptoms to the beef, not as bad as when she was on chicken or salmon, but she was licking her paws a lot, and was a little pink, but it was Dozer who showed the most allergy symptoms. He had never had any food or allergy issues, but he started to lick his paws excessively to the point that his paws were soggy, and they had changed to a reddish colour, I suspect it was the start of yeast, because his paw pads were a little yellow, and his ears smelled a little sour. He didn't have a ear infection or redness in his ears,but he was scratching. The thing I noticed the most was that he was shedding excessively, I had a dust pan everyday. From him, and when I pet him, his fur was flying in the air, also he had goopy eyes. I switched them both to Fromm's Lamb and Lentil about 3 months ago, and so far they are it's doing well on it. I hope they continue to tolerate it, because I'm running out of protein sources. I'm wondering if being on the same protein (beef) for two years caused an intolerance?

That's funny you mention how all of a sudden your bully started getting yeasty from the beef, when mine too did out of the blue. He's been on the beef fromm forever with no issues. Tear stains started rapidly appearing. I'm too thinking of switching to the lamb.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
The great thing about the Fromm's line of foods is that they are interchangeable, and you can switch between the different protein sources and flavours without having to do a slow transition this is good because you can switch without tummy troubles and through trial and error you can figure out which one your dog tolerates.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Winnie has been eating Orijen and she seems to be doing great. She started with the puppy, then I switched her to the adult that Jack eats. Orijen foods are interchangeable too. I'm thinking about trying the fish formula next time, but I don't want to fix something that isn't broken!

raghu

Jan 7, 2015
India
Country
India
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Re-posting my post from another thread.

This post is long and may be more relevant to EB owners in India (applicable to other breeds too).
I own a 3 month old English Bulldog and a 5 year old Boxer.

We don't have a great choice of commercial dog food in India. All brands carry only dry dog food.
Some of the readily available brands are Pedigree, Royal Canin (RC), Drools, Eukanuba, Farmina, Hill's Science Plan.
Except HSP, I have sampled all other brands. I don't recommend Pedigree, Drools, Eukanuba. RC is barely OK. Farmina is quite good.
Good dry dog food is expensive. Example, a 2.5kg bag of Farmina costs about $25

My EB puppy came on a Royal Canin diet. She was 6 weeks old when I acquired her.
Yes, too early to leave the litter, but in India breeders are anxious to get rid of the litter early.

Here is the diet plan and feed times:
Meat weight is prior to cooking
Week 7, 8, 9
7:00 am - 150 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
1:00 pm - 100 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
6:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food
11:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food

Month 3
7:00 am - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
OR
200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
1:00 pm - 1 boiled egg + 50gm cottage cheese + (banana or orange or apple or cucumber or steamed carrot or steamed green beans)
6:00 pm - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
OR
200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
11:00 pm - 75/80 gm of Farmina dry dog food (chicken, pomegranate and ancient grain formula)
cold buttermilk (fat removed; do not want to deal with lactose issues)

Have also given small qty of boiled beef heart/kidney/liver and boiled chicken liver/heart/gizzard.
When boiling the meat, I skim the fat and give a bit of broth after it cools.
Roasting is done in an oven in aluminum foil for about 10/15 mins at 150 deg Celsius (this preverves the dripping)
Sometimes she is allowed to suck/chew on raw chicken bone marrow.
Hold the bone in hand to make sure she does not get greedy and bite of a big piece (choking hazard)
Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 1 tsp quantity

No major tummy issues seen. Took a couple of days to get used to crushed eggshells and organ meat.
Will continue the same diet in month four as well. Probably up the meat by 50/75 gm and dry food by 10/15 gm.

Now my adult Boxer's diet is far simpler and easier.
7:00 am - 500 gm of raw chicken (chicken breast with bone, wings, leg quarters, liver, heart, gizzard, NO fat/skin)
OR
500 gm of raw or roasted beef (lean meat, heart, kidney, liver, NO visible fat)
7:00 pm - same as above
Raw eggs 3/4 per week, boiled eggs 3/4 per week
Leftovers (sometimes it substitutes a meal):
White rice with unsweetened yogurt
Cooked pasta with diluted milk
White Bread (end slices and edges)
Banana, apple, oranges
He does not care for veggies
Buttermilk, chicken and beef broth
Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 2 tsp quantity

He went through a whole lot of skin allergy issues when he was on dry dog food.
The last year (since the switch to raw) he has been at his healthiest and lively.
He hardly has doggie breath or odor. Coat is healthy, shiny with no itching/scratching.
The boxer get about 3% of his body weight of raw meat and bones + organs per day.

Hopefully, I can switch my EB puppy to this diet by the time she is 8-10 months old. Thats about the time when all the permanent teeth are out.
And their digestive system can take raw/roasted meat and raw bones.

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
Our Josie was fed Iams by previous owner. I switched her over to Taste of the Wild Prairie. Was an immediate switch. No upset stomache, no allergies. Her skin condition improved. She had large black spots with no fur. Black spots still there, but now covered with fur. No signs of itching. I fill up her bowl and she loves it. Good firm stool. Never has any issues of incontinence. I will stick with what seems to work and be of good quality. Ive tried orijen, it produced too much gas with an earlier dog I owned. Plus it was just too pricey for a chow hound!!! If your unsure give taste of Wild prairie a try. I order from wag.com

Bowen

Feb 9, 2015
NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha
in the process of switching from Blue Buffalo to Fromm fingers crossed

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.