Poll: Have you found the right food for your bulldog?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Daily poll: Have you found the right food for your bulldog?

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Daily poll: Have you found the right food for your bulldog?

The great thing about the Fromm's line of foods is that they are interchangeable, and you can switch between the different protein sources and flavours without having to do a slow transition this is good because you can switch without tummy troubles and through trial and error you can figure out which one your dog tolerates.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member Donnam's Avatar
    Real Name
    Donna
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Winnie
    Likes (Received)

Winnie has been eating Orijen and she seems to be doing great. She started with the puppy, then I switched her to the adult that Jack eats. Orijen foods are interchangeable too. I'm thinking about trying the fish formula next time, but I don't want to fix something that isn't broken!

Real Name
    Raghu Prasad
    Country
    India
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Re-posting my post from another thread.

This post is long and may be more relevant to EB owners in India (applicable to other breeds too).
    I own a 3 month old English Bulldog and a 5 year old Boxer.

We don't have a great choice of commercial dog food in India. All brands carry only dry dog food.
    Some of the readily available brands are Pedigree, Royal Canin (RC), Drools, Eukanuba, Farmina, Hill's Science Plan.
    Except HSP, I have sampled all other brands. I don't recommend Pedigree, Drools, Eukanuba. RC is barely OK. Farmina is quite good.
    Good dry dog food is expensive. Example, a 2.5kg bag of Farmina costs about $25

My EB puppy came on a Royal Canin diet. She was 6 weeks old when I acquired her.
    Yes, too early to leave the litter, but in India breeders are anxious to get rid of the litter early.

Here is the diet plan and feed times:
    Meat weight is prior to cooking
    Week 7, 8, 9
    7:00 am - 150 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
    1:00 pm - 100 gm boiled chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed)
    6:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food
    11:00 pm - 60/65 gm of Royal Canin Puppy food

Month 3
    7:00 am - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
    OR
    200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
    1:00 pm - 1 boiled egg + 50gm cottage cheese + (banana or orange or apple or cucumber or steamed carrot or steamed green beans)
    6:00 pm - 200 gm boiled/roasted chicken leg quarters or chicken breast (bones completely removed) + crushed eggshell
    OR
    200 gm boiled/roasted beef + crushed eggshell
    11:00 pm - 75/80 gm of Farmina dry dog food (chicken, pomegranate and ancient grain formula)
    cold buttermilk (fat removed; do not want to deal with lactose issues)

Have also given small qty of boiled beef heart/kidney/liver and boiled chicken liver/heart/gizzard.
    When boiling the meat, I skim the fat and give a bit of broth after it cools.
    Roasting is done in an oven in aluminum foil for about 10/15 mins at 150 deg Celsius (this preverves the dripping)
    Sometimes she is allowed to suck/chew on raw chicken bone marrow.
    Hold the bone in hand to make sure she does not get greedy and bite of a big piece (choking hazard)
    Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 1 tsp quantity

No major tummy issues seen. Took a couple of days to get used to crushed eggshells and organ meat.
    Will continue the same diet in month four as well. Probably up the meat by 50/75 gm and dry food by 10/15 gm.

Now my adult Boxer's diet is far simpler and easier.
    7:00 am - 500 gm of raw chicken (chicken breast with bone, wings, leg quarters, liver, heart, gizzard, NO fat/skin)
    OR
    500 gm of raw or roasted beef (lean meat, heart, kidney, liver, NO visible fat)
    7:00 pm - same as above
    Raw eggs 3/4 per week, boiled eggs 3/4 per week
    Leftovers (sometimes it substitutes a meal):
    White rice with unsweetened yogurt
    Cooked pasta with diluted milk
    White Bread (end slices and edges)
    Banana, apple, oranges
    He does not care for veggies
    Buttermilk, chicken and beef broth
    Supplements: Flaxseed oil 4/5 times a week, salmon oil 2/3 times a week, apple cider vinegar 3/4 times a week. 2 tsp quantity

He went through a whole lot of skin allergy issues when he was on dry dog food.
    The last year (since the switch to raw) he has been at his healthiest and lively.
    He hardly has doggie breath or odor. Coat is healthy, shiny with no itching/scratching.
    The boxer get about 3% of his body weight of raw meat and bones + organs per day.

Hopefully, I can switch my EB puppy to this diet by the time she is 8-10 months old. Thats about the time when all the permanent teeth are out.
    And their digestive system can take raw/roasted meat and raw bones.

Potty Trainer
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Josie, Zoey
    Likes (Received)

Our Josie was fed Iams by previous owner. I switched her over to Taste of the Wild Prairie. Was an immediate switch. No upset stomache, no allergies. Her skin condition improved. She had large black spots with no fur. Black spots still there, but now covered with fur. No signs of itching. I fill up her bowl and she loves it. Good firm stool. Never has any issues of incontinence. I will stick with what seems to work and be of good quality. Ive tried orijen, it produced too much gas with an earlier dog I owned. Plus it was just too pricey for a chow hound!!! If your unsure give taste of Wild prairie a try. I order from wag.com

Real Name
    CARRIE
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BROOKLYN, HARLEM
    Likes (Received)

B.A.R.F. for our pack.....

(Bones & Raw Food)

Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sasha
    Likes (Received)

in the process of switching from Blue Buffalo to Fromm fingers crossed

Bulldog(s) Names
    Douglas
    Likes (Received)

I think Natures Instinct Raw is great. Question, what can I add to it to give it a boost. Anything but kibble!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads