Daily poll: Do you have Bully insurance?

Do you have Bully insurance?

• Yes (Which carrier?)

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • No but I do have an account set aside for emergency

Votes: 13 19.7%

• Total voters

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
Yes. @ddnene don't slap me please.. We have Trupanion and they have been great for us so far and have paid every claim we have submitted without question, but we also have a credit card strictly for Harlea's care. I totally agree with others though. If you don't get insurance right as you adopt your pup and don't mention any concerns to your vet for the first 30 days then don't even bother as it will be a waste of money as even a mention or a question in the records will be considered a preexisting condition and not covered by most companies.

I've been thinking about pet insurance since we decided to get a puppy. If not a secret, how much Trupanion charge per month for a puppy, what does it cover and how it works? Are you in the US?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I've been thinking about pet insurance since we decided to get a puppy. If not a secret, how much Trupanion charge per month for a puppy, what does it cover and how it works? Are you in the US?
We are in the US and with Trupanion cost varies by where you live. For us we pay $64 a month and we only pay 10% after a $200 deductible per condition/illness. As long as nothing is preexising they cover quite a bit and most policies were ammended this year to start covering many tbings they used to exclude.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
does it only cover illness or other procedures, like progesterone tests or artificial insemination, vaccines, routine check up, etc?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
does it only cover illness or other procedures, like progesterone tests or artificial insemination, vaccines, routine check up, etc?
It does not cover office visits, vaccines, anything breeding related or check ups. Some will cover some of it but most do not. Also, most insurance companies have a spay/neuter reqirement and those that don't you will have to buy a policy rider for a crazy stupid amount each month.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet

Trupanion will not cover those but they are the only company that will cover c-sections in bulldogs, but you have to designate your dog as a breeding pet when they turn 1 years old (premium will go up). and not 100% sure but I think that they have to never had any c-sections before.

yulia

Oct 20, 2014
Boulder, CO
Country
Boulder, Colorado, USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Kira
I am starting to think that maybe pet insurance isn't the right choice for our family after all. Thanks so much for educating me on the topic!

JennyBean

Nov 21, 2014
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Farley Foo (8 1/2 yrs old) RIP My precious FarlyFoo 7/24/2017
We bought Healthy Paws for Farley when we adopted him. We were so scared of major health issues happening that we wanted to be covered in an emergency. We have a $500 deductible per year. It does not cover office visits, vaccines or routine type visits. They have so many plans it can be overwhelming researching insurances. I haven't had to use it yet.. *knock on wood* :pray:

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
I have Trupanion and so far it has been great. When I first got Izzy she had VPI and we switched to Trupanion when she turned 1 year old. Already used it for 3 major surgeries and they have been great.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Yes, Elmo has VPI Pet Ins. They pay for office visits once a year this is for their shots, heartworm check, heartworm med. they pay each mo. for this. I believe this is a Great Ins. for My Elmo. I also have it on 4 more of my dogs.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
No, but we try to save a little every month so we have money if something comes up.

In my opinion pet insurance here is expensive since a vet visit isn't really... We paid around $550 for Boeboe's hip dysplasia surgery, I don't think that's much for such a major operation. A consultation at our vet is not even $30 and we're at one of the more expensive vets.

I don't think the vet here in town even charges for consultation, I was there the other day with our Jack Russel foster and she charged $54 and we got consultation, four shots, blood sample test, antibiotics and two cans of special food for his upset tummy.

I think we would spend much more a year on having insurance for all of the dogs than we spend at the vet...

--- update---

Want to add though that if I only had one dog I would insure it, especially if it's a bulldog.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I have had Embrace before, no complaints. Currently have Trupanion and havent used them yet. As mentioned above to avoid issues its best to sign up as soon as you get your pet.

Like I mentioned in a quote, just got nyala a month ago, did their quote $200 deductible and $105 a month. So I dont see were "do it when you bring your puppy home" kick in any cheaper.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Like I mentioned in a quote, just got nyala a month ago, did their quote $200 deductible and $105 a month. So I dont see were "do it when you bring your puppy home" kick in any cheaper.

We have major medical / emergency though VPI & pay $64 a month. With $250 ded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.