Poll: Have you ever taken your bully on a road trip?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Daily poll: Have you ever taken your bully on a road trip?

The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Daily poll: Have you ever taken your bully on a road trip?

Quote Originally Posted by minibull View Post
    We just did 5000 miles round trip from the Midwest to West Coast. The first leg was a learning experience as it turns out Buttercup doesn't see fit to urinate on non-grass/non-snow surfaces, so instead she will choose her blanket over these. We spent the night at a pet-friendly La Quinta hotel with rocks and cacti, at which point she peed on a second blanket we gave her to sleep on. Thankfully the hotel had laundry facilities and we had brought her unscented detergent. After we figured out her need for grass we aggressively scoured the roads for even tiny patches of grass, which was more difficult but not impossible to find in Arizona and the Mojave desert. We also took her on at least a small walk / potty break at every stop -- which were at least every 2 hours as I needed to empty my bladder or stretch my legs, too. No more blanket pee episodes after that.

Buttercup doesn't readily drink water so I offered her water from a squeeze bottle (used a big Buffalo Wild Wings To Go bowl to catch drips) at most stops after I saw just how concentrated her urine was on the blankets.

I wanted to try the Sleepypod ClickIt harness but didn't have time to order before the trip, so instead we tried a
    Kurgo tether with her regular Julius K9 IDC harness. The tether seemed to work ok at first but she managed to get out of her harness multiple times even after we adjusted it. The tether also got excessively twisted up due to her efforts to move around. So we stopped using it as her wriggling out of the harness seemed like it had potential to cause injury. We will try again with a real seatbelt harness or get the Sleepypod next.

We also used this Solvit Sta-Put Deluxe Hammock Pet Seat Cover with her blankie, which worked pretty well to protect the seats and keep her from falling behind the seats, which has been a major problem in the past. I anticipate future need for repair of the stitching straps that wrap around the seat head cushions, but we really liked this product for the total 5000 miles we drove with it.

All in all, Buttercup tolerated the drive very well and our family adored meeting her and having her in their home. It was worth the effort to pack all of her necessities and the extra time at each stop to take care of her needs. It makes me sad that we will probably never have the time to repeat the experience as we spent a total of 7 days/nights driving.

We use this:
    Amazon.com : Floppy Ears Design Waterproof Microfiber and Foam Safety Back Seat Expander, Tan, One Size : Pet Supplies

It creates a ton of extra room for the backseat. With two bulldogs, it works great. They can both stretch out and still have room.
    The size works very well in our CUV, a Nissan Murano.

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Blueberrys Mom View Post
    We use this:
    Amazon.com : Floppy Ears Design Waterproof Microfiber and Foam Safety Back Seat Expander, Tan, One Size : Pet Supplies

It creates a ton of extra room for the backseat. With two bulldogs, it works great. They can both stretch out and still have room.
    The size works very well in our CUV, a Nissan Murano.
    This looks awesome! Now we just need a foam block to keep Buttercup from joining us at her post on the center console (not even the hammock prevents that as she easily climbs over it).

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

You can buy a barrier like this to keep the dog from coming in the front-there are several types. On foster and smith, amazon etc. @minibull Well the picture won't show up-but it is a nylon barrier,with elastic, and window for dog to see up front.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

We are planning to take the boys to Myrtle Beach next summer and I plan on getting travel crates for them to travel in in the car. I think it would be safer and more comfortable for everyone. We will also need them for the rental house anyway. I hope all goes well. I hate leaving them home on family vacations. If I could figure out how to get them on the cruise planned for this summer, I swear I would bring them. What fun would that be???
    My smooshy face boy!

Bully Bootie Duty
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Buttercup
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    You can buy a barrier like this to keep the dog from coming in the front-there are several types. On foster and smith, amazon etc. @minibull Well the picture won't show up-but it is a nylon barrier,with elastic, and window for dog to see up front.
    Thanks, we're going to try this! Found several versions online. I'm sure she'll jump over if I leave her in the car for a few minutes but it should work while I'm actually driving.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Kathleen
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
    Likes (Received)

Dudley goes on lots of "short" road trips, but we did drive from NJ to CT with him to visit some friends. He was fabulous in the car! Got out every once in awhile at rest stops and stretched, did a little walk, had some water. He was GREAT. He is good in the car - always seems really comfortable there, too.

Dogs have a way of finding the people who need them...
    Filling an emptiness we don't even know we have. -- Thom Jones

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ultimate Remy Le Bo
    Likes (Received)

Yes, I sure have!! I live in Mississippi and my six month old EB named Bo drove all the way to north Oklahoma to visit family for the holidays!! He absolutely loves car rides and can't wait to hop in the passenger seat anytime I say "wanna go for a ride!" It was about a 12-13 hour drive!! He loved every minute of it!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads