Daily poll: Does your bulldog do the 'chicken scratch' kick after pooing?

Does your bulldog do the 'chicken scratch' kick after pooing?

• Yes

Votes: 22 64.7%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 5 14.7%

• Total voters

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Does your bulldog do the 'chicken scratch' kick after pooing?
attachment.php

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh yeah… caught Mr. Wally just starting to do it this week :w00t:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Yes, they both do, but they just started doing it this spring. They didn't do this last year.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Always. We are trying to break him of the habit because our new place has a horribly neglected front yard that is nearly all dirt and he just ends up kicking mud clods.

Cuddles116

Jan 15, 2013
Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brock & Brink
LOL! Brock does and then he struts away with a little bounce in his step. Brink on the other hand does not yet but he's not lifting his leg yet either so I figure that will come around the same time when the bully hormones are one with the universe :)

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Jewel (14 mos) does and actually serves as "I am finished Dad" indicator for me to police up the poop (that's me "pooper scooper"). Now Bentley (8 months), who has now been with us for three weeks, has had a rough go. He is now understanding it is OK to go potty outside when he is out. My wife and I believe he has been in a crate for his entire life until we got him as he had some submissive urination when getting ready to go outside. He is starting to come out of his shell (playing more and now starting to use chew toys and yesterday barking at the strange noises on the TV). Jewel has been showing him the ropes like a true big sister.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Frank does not. Brutus will sometimes, but will mostly look at it when he is done and then run like heck!!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
This is a recent development for Ruckus. I don't know where he learned it, but I hate it.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
This is a recent development for Ruckus. I don't know where he learned it, but I hate it.

it's an instinctual reflex; here's something I found on Vetstreet.com:

In the wild, canines such as wolves, dingoes and foxes may kick the ground after elimination for sanitary reasons. They are simply covering up the mess. But the behavior is also a way to mark territory. All dogs have glands in their feet that secrete pheromones, and a couple of backward scratches into the earth releases those chemicals.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Finn does this with EVERY potty break and for some reason, I just love it when he does :) He always looks so proud and confident as he kicks the grass/dirt. Sometimes poor Tate will be too close to him though and he's gotten dirt kicked right into his face (luckily no poop tho).

Tate does this once in awhile. Again, I find it so cute :)

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
it's an instinctual reflex; here's something I found on Vetstreet.com:

In the wild, canines such as wolves, dingoes and foxes may kick the ground after elimination for sanitary reasons. They are simply covering up the mess. But the behavior is also a way to mark territory. All dogs have glands in their feet that secrete pheromones, and a couple of backward scratches into the earth releases those chemicals.

Oh wow, that's an interesting fact. I didn't realize they release pheremones from their feet. I don't really mind so much that Ruckus does it, unless he succeeds in covering up his business completely and I have to dig around in the bushes so I can bag it and trash it. He looks so proud when he does it, like look ma, I'm helping you!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Bocephus doesn't but Rampage and Bulldozer were HUGE kickers.

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Lol..My girl has always done this and not just for# 2 , she does it for # 1 also.Then my boy followed suit after awhile.I laugh every time

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Not only does Hooch do it everytime, he also taught my lab Sadie to do it as well. He really gets into it, it just cracks me up every time I see him do it. Shamrock13

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.